• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone having a hard time getting grandfathered in for unlimited data?

92hatchattack

Sep 30, 2011
So an AT&T manager just finished telling me that the only way to get grandfathered in for unlimited data is to buy another iPhone. WTF! You've gonna be kidding me. Someone please tell me this is bullshit and that there is a way around it All this time I've stuck with att only to get jerked around like this. Not cool.

My wife called the number on the phone bill I think and that's what they told her. How does it work if you are buying from best buy? Can you get grandfathered in from there or only an att store?

i got my skyrocket from best buy. they asked if i wanted to keep my unlimited data. when they called AT&T to give them the new SIM information, etc., they specifically said the account should retain its unlimited plan.

Upvote 0
I just got my Skyrocket last night (I couldn't control the urge to buy it any longer!).

No problem at the store. I had talked to the AT&T store first to make sure that I had my unlimited plan (from an iPhone 3GS) and that it would be carried over. When I bought it they carried over all aspects of my phone including my (now discontinued) text plan. I was pretty darn pleased with the ease of purchase...

Upvote 0
Sounds good. Does anyone know what BB's exchange policy is? How long to I have to get a price adjustment or exchange if a better phone comes out? 14 days means I wait till thanksgiving. 30 days means I may come home with one today.

I asked BB about their return policy when I was considering a GS2. They said 30 days and currently no restocking fee. He also said they expect the phone to be returned in New condition. Sounded like their management really wants to discourage switching. Said they strongly discourage switching.

I have unlimited data and an iphone and said no problem keeping the plan if I switch. I am still very undecided. I may move to Verizon with their current Double Data promotion. Verizon has LTE in my area and the speed is fantastic. AT&T still does not even have HSPA+ and LTE is probably years away. I think 4 GB will probably be all I need considering my mix of wifi usage.

Upvote 0
Hey guys.. all is good here. I got to retain my current plan and I am happy. I have confession the make though.... I went with the Vivid. While the skyrocket had better contrast and deeper colors the Vidvid seemed to win out in resolution and truer whites.

Ok, to be real honest...I am short on funds and the $99 price tag was too hard to pass up. Yes, BB price matched as the $100 off promotion is in effect in my area. I also went with the buy back program. Since i got their $10 a month warranty they sold it to me for $30. The value of selling back to them in 19 months when I am ready for my next upgrade is $130........ in the long run, it seems as if this phone will have cost me $7 in tax!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Upvote 0
Hey guys.. all is good here. I got to retain my current plan and I am happy. I have confession the make though.... I went with the Vivid. While the skyrocket had better contrast and deeper colors the Vidvid seemed to win out in resolution and truer whites.

Ok, to be real honest...I am short on funds and the $99 price tag was too hard to pass up. Yes, BB price matched as the $100 off promotion is in effect in my area. I also went with the buy back program. Since i got their $10 a month warranty they sold it to me for $30. The value of selling back to them in 19 months when I am ready for my next upgrade is $130........ in the long run, it seems as if this phone will have cost me $7 in tax!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Should be a great phone as well. Please report back on battery life/speed etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones