• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone keeping their hero?

I'm sticking with the Hero at least until my upgrade eligibility eight months from now. I'm not really seeing where the Evo would be such a ginormous step up at this point that it would be worth dropping hundreds of extra dollars on. I've played with a friend's Incredible -- same basic hardware and software setup as the Evo, albeit with a smaller screen -- and yeah, it's a little snappier than the Hero, but otherwise the experience isn't that different (and I haven't had any of the various post-2.1 problems a lot of other people have reported here, it's generally been a nice upgrade).

I don't live in a 4G/wimax area, so no Evo advantage there (and the 4G's getting mixed reviews in any case), plus my only real issue with the Hero -- battery life -- seems if anything to be worse with the Evo. I don't have any real need for wireless tethering, the Evo's only other big extra feature, but I've just gotten it anyway via rooting, and without the additional monthly charge. If I ever do develop a need for it, it's there.

Also, I'm thinking that by early 2011 or so Android will be a much more mature platform. It's already been reported that the current rapid-fire system updates will slow to an iPhone-style one per year, eliminating the irritating "instant obsolescence" factor we're currently faced with. Additionally, hardware is going to be in another universe by then. Just yesterday Motorola announced a 2GHz Android phone coming by the end of 2010, ie. twice the speed of the Evo or Incredible. The Spring 2011 round of new handsets is going to make the current ones look hopelessly old-fashioned by comparison.

Upvote 0
I am starting to question if I will keep mine due to seeing that the Evo has the same weak WIFI radio in it and I still can't swallow that $10.00 upcharge. You pay $200.00 for the phone but another 120.00 for the year on a phone. That doesn't seem right. I could easily buy the phone by selling my hero but I really don't see the need. My hero does everything I want it to do. Not flawless by any means but it gets the job done. I am up for an upgrade in August and I guess time will tell on what I decide. Hopefully something else will come out by then.

Upvote 0
I just received my Hero as a present last Christmas, so no, I can't imagine buying another device already! The EVO seems to have everything I was longing for prior to buying the Hero (HD video capability, and 4G), but the Hero performs so well, and it's size is perfect. It also takes amazing photos, and I love the Sense interface of it with the version of Android that it came with (Which I'm still using as well).

Upvote 0
I don't have the option unless I want to give up SERO, if they can fix the dang bluetooth issue and it will work with my car stereo again I will be very happy with my HERO, I like the size and it does even more than I need it to do. I love the mobile photobucket, I shoot pictures for a racing team and it is fantastic.

Upvote 0
I said earlier in this post that I would keep my hero but today I got a brand new Evo from a friend for 325.00 and Sprint also gave me a credit for 50.00 for my inconvenience with another problem. So I got the Evo for 275 new. I'm sorry but the Evo seems awesome so far. I'm gonna put it through its paces and see which one I will keep. my biggest issue with the hero lately is the support for it is slowly dying over at xda. I like to tinker and it seems everyone is moving on.

Upvote 0
I said earlier in this post that I would keep my hero but today I got a brand new Evo from a friend for 325.00 and Sprint also gave me a credit for 50.00 for my inconvenience with another problem. So I got the Evo for 275 new. I'm sorry but the Evo seems awesome so far. I'm gonna put it through its paces and see which one I will keep. my biggest issue with the hero lately is the support for it is slowly dying over at xda. I like to tinker and it seems everyone is moving on.
I guess you swallowed that upcharge, and then some :eek:. Is the Evo 13x better ($120 + $275/$30)?:D I wouldn't buy the Evo if it were half that; wouldn't pay that 4G 'fluff' w/ zero marginal utility (unless I'm subsidizing it by charging people at the coffee shop for tether but with WiFi EVERYWHERE here, they are not that dumb, heheheh!). Also, just saw Evo 720p clips on Youtub today and while nothing this gen compares to the atrocity that is the Hero QVGA video record mode (pls. somebody entertain me w/ a way to hack VGA recording in!), it definitely reinforces that this gen of cam/smart phones are still no replacement for my Panasonic Lumix ZS3 AVCHDs, i.e. it's choppy 20fps, flat, and pixelated.

p.s. all in all, LUVS THE HERO!

Upvote 0
Well, I pulled the trigger after seeing my partners Evo. For me it boiled down to size, I am 6'5" and the Evo feels natural in my hand. Also, at 46 my eyes were having a hard time with the tiny screen on the Hero, the Evo I can read without glasses!

My phone arrives tomorrow, the wife will get my Hero after I get my Evo set up (she currently has my old Touch Pro).

Upvote 0
holy bejebus sir... yes @ 6 foot 5, you are a prime candidate for the evo's size... my only question is how did you make it so long :D :)

enjoy the phone (and the hot weather), I'm in Central Tejas

I make a living off the hot weather, been a busy year so far! Good ole S.A.

The Evo will be a welcome change, the Hero looks like a toy in my hand, but not as bad as my old Nokia 8210.:eek::D

Upvote 0
Here's the number one reason to wait it out with your Hero rather than dropping a bunch of extra cash on the Evo: the future is always even awesomer. ;)

That is strong incentive to stick it out with Sprint and the Hero, at least for about 4-5 more months when I can upgrade without exorbitant charges.

I also heard recently that HTC was *stopping* support of the Hero and will make no more upgrades to it?!? Shades of the Sprint Instinct which was neat at first but then turned into a POS quickly.....

Upvote 0
Keeping my Hero.

1. I don't have $500 for a new phone and awhile till I have an upgrade.

2. I don't think I could pocket a phone that big, especially after you put a case on it.

3. The Hero still works great for me!!

I'm with this guy...at least on 1 and 3...

Also, I'm not the wait in line just to pay a premium to say I have the latest piece of technology before everyone, that is until everyone else gets it or something newer comes out.

Upvote 0
What the hell is gonna power this thing, dilithium crystals!?

I was thinking cold fusion, actually. ;) But whatever, even if the Sabor is a total fabrication, the larger point is that by the time I personally am eligible for an upgrade, there will have been at least one and probably several new phones awesome enough to make me sorely regretful of settling for the by then seriously outmoded-seeming Evo.

Upvote 0
Well, I'll keep mine. I don't care to tote a netbook in my pocket. I need one that is smaller so I will stick with my Hero. I have not yet had any issues with mine. Lag? Not yet. I also installed 2.1. So I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Only thing I dislike about 2.1 are the ugly startup screens.

Upvote 0
Hello all I am new to this forum and I have been reading the remarks above, very interesting.
I am not eligible for an upgrade until November so I will be stuck with my Moment till then. I have been thinking about getting the EVO but I played with it for a few days and as many of you said the Hero really has similar features.
I love to have the hardware of the EVO but I can't justify the $10 premium charge for the data (4G - video calling ) that I will probably never use.

What are your thoughts on going to the Hero from My Moment even though the Hero or the Moment will NOT be getting the 2.2 Froyo update, per Sprint/HTC?

Some people have mentioned rooting, can someone explain what is to me please and how is it done?
Thanks in advance to all.

Fonemann2 +>

Upvote 0
No way am I keeping this pos. Going to try a Motorola, on a different network. This is the 4th crap phone from HTC I have been stupid enough to buy..no more.
Sorry you have had such bad luck. I have had four HTC's, the Mogul, Touch Pro, Hero and now Evo. While all have been great phones, the Evo is by far the best yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones