Anyone know when Kit Kat update is coming?General

Last Updated:

1. Tedred1339

Tedred1339 Active Member

I have noticed the battery life on my phone draining MUCH quicker than it did when I initially bought it. I have no battery draining apps, I turn off wifi/ 4g, etc when not in use, but the battery life has gotten noticeably worse over the past month or so.

I hope Kit Kat will help with battery life (I have heard/read that it does)

Anyone know when its coming, and if there are actual improvements relating to battery life?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

1) If you didn't form the battery correctly (3 full charge/discharge cycles when it was new), it could be nearing the end of its life.

2) No one can tell you when KK will be sent out since now that Google has written it, Motorola has to modify it for the particular phone, then your carrier has to do whatever they do to a new release. It could be days, weeks, months ... Forecasting the stock market is a lot easier.
  3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

GSAM battery monitor is a very good app for monitoring battery usage. Install it, let the battery charge to full, and use it for a good day. Then look at the main screen and tap on "App usage" and look at that. That may help diagnose the problem.

You can post screenshots of those two screens for others to comment as well.

I can't believe that a phone that is only three months old could have a battery anywhere near the end of its life, unless it's a hardware failure. It's more likely that there is an app or OS conflict.

I do agree with the timing on KitKat. It will come when it comes. I think it will be soon. The Mini received the latest OTA about 4-5 weeks after the first Moto X received the same, and I'd think that the timing should be about the same. That said, Motorola has also announced the Moto G since then, and promised a KitKat update for January, so it may be that Motorola will put the Droids off until later.

So, again, it will come when it comes...
  4. CKwik240

CKwik240 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend just got it on her mini today. She was not signed up for soak. It apparently installed fine.
  5. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

Did you wipe the cache partition? Trashed cache can impact battery life.

You could try running in Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them). If the battery problem stops ... it was caused by an app that you added.

... Thom
  6. tcraig72

tcraig72 Well-Known Member

Got mine this week. Much faster phone. The only thing I can't figure out is why the black notification bar is still there. Supposed to be gone with this update.
  7. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

On a Google+ comment thread Punit Soni, who is a VP at Motorola, commented that the color scheme was a carrier requirement. In other words, Verizon (which owns the Droid brand) wanted the look and feel to stay as close to the way the phone shipped as possible, probably to avoid confusing less-technical users.

So, just as Samsung, HTC, LG, etc., change the look of things like that in Android compared with Nexus and Google Experience phones, so now is Motorola for the Droids, at Verizon's request.
  8. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

I believe you can now make it transparent by using an alternate launcher like Nova Launcher Prime. (I don't have a Moto G and have not tested it.)

... Thom
  9. computex13

computex13 Member

Don't know what is better yet. Anyone have a list of improvements?