• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone regret upgrading to 2.2 Froyo?

Quick questions... Which update did you apply? And are you still running a Task Killer? In my experience with Android (again this is my experience) anytime I had a 100% Awake issue with my Hero it was because of Advanced Task Killer and I have read in other posts that 2.2 does not like current task killers because of the new way to manage Apps. Don';t take me to the bank on that one but I would do another hard reset if I were you and do not install a Task Killer or Sys Panel. Maybe just install Apps one by one until you find the culprit.

Yeah, he and I worked on his stuff this last weekend. I think we tried about everything, shy of full system log analysis and exhaustive app search as you've suggested. He ended up with Sys Panel and other tools recommended because we were trying to find every possible observable to solve the problem.

At one point, it had the appearance of being ok - but no such luck.

I feel for the guy. He had a great, working phone and now is one of the few, if not only, .3 holdouts with a problem. Could've happened to any of us, so I don't see the point in catcalling him. The guy's usually helpful to others, he deserves the same.

He's definitely got a runaway process that's spin-locking the cpu.

So - ThatNew - here's another question:

I recall that in the .3 Settings there was a checkbox somewhere that said to run old apps in a compatibility mode.

I sure don't think I dreamt that. It's not in .6 so I can't verify.

On my .3, that box was checked. Could you check your settings and see if you have such an option and then toggle it?

It's buried in there somewhere, I've wracked my brain trying to remember where it was, so you may have to hunt for it.

Upvote 0
in the 2.2 update. Froyo was so over-hyped it's crazy. I gotta say I am one of those that expected more. I have the unofficial version and i'm happy how snappy my phone is, but aside from that, I really see no diffs, besides the taskbar changes, etc.

were you expecting a total redesign? This is not android 3.0, it's 2.2 from 2.1, meaning in developers terms they change around a few things but the core stays the same. If you thought it was going to be some amazing changes, then I'd say you hyped yourself up too much instead of it being the developers fault.

For the rest of us, full flash, the new flashlight app, and chrome to phone are great improvements....

Upvote 0
Its a minimal upgrade... I am not disappointed as I knew what feature it would brings...as for the overall performance of the phone it is quickier and thats a major plus for me

I am happy Sprint is pushing the envelope with software upgrades...that is the best sign yet

This is how i feel... My last phone was the instinct that i got on the day it was released and that phone was forgotten with the quickness by sprint. Its awesome to know that I have a device that sprint knows its a good idea to keep updating.

Reactions: MrPassion
Upvote 0
in the 2.2 update. Froyo was so over-hyped it's crazy. I gotta say I am one of those that expected more. I have the unofficial version and i'm happy how snappy my phone is, but aside from that, I really see no diffs, besides the taskbar changes, etc.

I agree that it was over hyped but for me all of the over hyping happened here in the forum. I also agree that the update is just small improvements but I wasn't expecting anything more than a smoother running system and whatever else was stated in the leaked announcement. It seems like some people didn't read the release (which was posted in a few different places in the forum.)

I took notes on what the early installers were seeing, waited for the official release, and had no real problems installing it. The few problems I had were for the most part answered in a thread somewhere and solved by rebooting. That sucks that people have slow browsers or whatever other problems they're seeing. I don't really understand why phones get bricked or behave differently than others after updates. I've been lucky so far.

I will say that it's hilarious to see how emotional and rude people can be on here. I sometimes check the threads just to see someone's f-ed up reply to someone else's early f-ed up statement. The lack of basic respect is crazy on here. Funny though.

Reactions: ThatNewAndroidGuy
Upvote 0
I think a lot of .3 early adopters are disappointed, but the vast majority of OTA upgraders are happy with the update. I'm very glad I updated even though it hosed all of my playlists in Meridian because WiFi and 3g antennas are so much stronger now.

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. All the complaints of .3 are the same complaints of .6 (at least as of the multitude of threads I read up to last night) It is very well possible that there is a conflict occuring with .3 that is causing some some issue for some users that .6 *might* rectify. .3 is working very well for me, including flash. The only sluggishness occurs when visiting pages with imbedded interactive video but not with regular flash content.

For those that have had android iterations on earlier phones will remember that none of the updates were a significant leap (visibly or functionally wise) Myself, Ive gone through 1.5 1.6 2.1crippled 2.1 and now 2.2. I didnt understand the phone well enough between 1.5 and 1.6 to ascertain the differences, however for all the other updates the changes were subtle on the surface.

I remember how dissapointed I felt when going from 1.6 to the crippled 2.1 (due to hardwarelimitations) on the hero, That was one that I regretted updating.

The jump from 2.1 to 2.2 in my opinion has given the most functionality increase out of any of the updates.

The quirks of facebook and contacts don't bother me. I'm not trying to discredit the importance of this, though, as we all use our phones diffferently. Contact picture resolution still bugs me, but not enough to jump through hoops to fix it.

As far as texting and predictive box covering the send button, I agree that is a minor annoyance. I tend to use the phone in landscape when texting so its not that big of an issue. Besides that hitting the enter key clears the autocorrect box as well.

I always hated the confirmation stage on BT/voice dialing on previous phones, now I feel its value a little better. That being said, on previous phones some contacts I just resorted to manually looking up because no matter what I tried it wouldnt pull up the right one without going through several choices. This ones voice recognition seems much better, and I dont have to scramble, as such, to hang up when its wrong. It's as simple as pushing the bt button again. Just having voice command again is simply an overwhelming satisfaction.

Not to discredit anyones gripes, but I cant understand how anyone would regret this update, be it .3 or .6 and at least to me seem like annoyances at best, but then every device and OS has its annoyances.

As fare as hype, it was hyped and fueled by speculation on the forums, not so much so by htc and sprint. Bottom line is this update overdelivered when compared to the previous ones.

Sure, I am dissappointed that some things werent addressed, and perhaps the seemingly incomplete incorporation of some features, but you have to ask yourself, which overall OS/phone combo has the best features. I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Reactions: ThatNewAndroidGuy
Upvote 0
Let me just say I'm coming from Windows Mobile. Having apps running or not, was a simple thing. With android, why does it have to be an annoyance? I understand Android handles programs in the background well esp Froyo. But why does it have to be a pain, esp for the OCD types, when you close apps you don't want running, they just open themselves again? You can go as far as going into the services, and shutting down that service, not only the app, and have that service restart itself. With 2.1, using Advanced Task Killer, the apps were closed and never really opened again. Unless I lost service or something, which for some reason triggers the internet related apps to open again.

Now I did a hard reset earlier hoping to fix some of the problems I'm having. It didn't really help at all. One problem I'm having is, my Evo NEVER sleeps. Currently synchronized at 0:52:xx Up/Awake times, restarted earlier hoping for change. 2.1, I never had this issue. And after hard resetting, I'd think it would be normal as it is the bare OS itself. Didn't work.

If you're using task killers and force closing apps...

doing_it_wrong_skaters.jpg

If you've done a hard reset and gone back to OEM condition, that is only the first step. Admittedly HTC and manufacturers don't make it easy because they leave things enabled by default. Force closing will not necessarily help because if a program is "by design" configured to sync every 10 minutes, using an external method of closing it won't eliminate the fact that it's going to still want to try fulfilling its set objective.

You need to go in and figure out all the things that could be running and configure them properly if your standby and awake times are in unison. This means going into each app and configuring them appropriately. Stop the HTC facebook widget from refreshing, manually log off Gtalk and select it not to log in on startup, tell the Sprint app to update never or only once a month, stop stocks and news from syncing, etc. -- force closing these things won't eliminate the fact that they are, by design, trying to maintain a data connection, and they will constantly fight to achieve their directive unless internally set not to do so.

On a second note, I understand the desire to be OCD... I'm like that too but you have to let it go. This is because not every program that is active or loaded in memory actually has an impact on performance. Android does precache some programs in order to keep things speedy, and if you're using SystemPanel app, you can easily see that just because a program exists and is "active" it doesn't mean it's actually consuming processor cycles. The Evo has a sizable amount of RAM and to the extent that apps can be left in memory, the Evo will allow that -- if the Android can efficiently recover memory when needed, there is no power/performance advantage to having an empty space of memory.

Good luck. It's doable, but requires effort and the right understanding about how Android works.

Upvote 0
Mind my asking.... What is difference between always on and on demands??

After upgraded to 2.2, I think it works well even with LED flashing Handcent...

Flash on, means everything flash related will be displayed, causing jerkiness in scrolling. On demand is when you choose what flash content to be displayed. I prefer on demand, esp when you know what you are going to do, say watch a video clip. You just choose the video clip to load. Possibly saves bandwidth as well.

"Let me just say I'm coming from Windows Mobile"

Nuff said. Operator error.

Operator error? I guess you've never used windows mobile? I believe what I said about WinMo and Android about apps in the background, running or closing, makes perfect sense, and is NOT a user error.

I agree, I believe it was over hyped a bit too much. Also I knew what was coming, so for those that said I'm disappointed because I was over-hyped, not true. I've read the PR's and feature lists, watched vids on Froyo. I explained my problems pretty well.

These repetitive topics are annoying

In my first line or 2, I said this was a minor vent, ignore if you don't want to read.

Well, if you are going to start a new thread making a claim, at least back it up with some facts or change the thread title to you are dissapointed and don't speak for the rest of us!

Did you read the thread title? It doesn't require facts nor claims. It's simply a question, does anyone regret getting 2.2. I don't think that speaks for the rest of anyone.

It's annoying to see a bunch of topics of no substance. It really said nothing you couldn't have included in the other thread.

I guess you wanted to feel special :rolleyes:

Like I said, minor vent, ignore if you don't want to read. And no I didn't do this because I wanted to "feel special." I could careless what you guys think of me, it's the internet after all.

OP seems pretty upset it didn't make him breakfast in bed this morning. :rolleyes:

Yep your right :rolleyes:. Thanks for your helpful post btw ;). Guide?...lmao.

Quick questions... Which update did you apply? And are you still running a Task Killer? In my experience with Android (again this is my experience) anytime I had a 100% Awake issue with my Hero it was because of Advanced Task Killer and I have read in other posts that 2.2 does not like current task killers because of the new way to manage Apps. Don';t take me to the bank on that one but I would do another hard reset if I were you and do not install a Task Killer or Sys Panel. Maybe just install Apps one by one until you find the culprit.

Nope no Task Killer here, I also mentioned that I did a hard reset in my original post.

Are you blind?

New flashlight app (which is pretty sick), and even small things like some of the icons in Settings and the 3G icon at the top being different.

Messaging app has a different look to it. Mine does run better, and my battery has ALWAYS lasted me all day since day 1 so I don't give a shit if it runs for 20hrs or 40hrs. I charge it when I get home anyway.

You people are ******ed. You nit pick about the dumbest things.

/rant

Like a lot of ppl say, its the little things that matters. If they didn't mess with the already working things, why did they bother to change them? Especially my issue with texting, which I do a lot. Read that part.

So - ThatNew - here's another question:

I recall that in the .3 Settings there was a checkbox somewhere that said to run old apps in a compatibility mode.

I sure don't think I dreamt that. It's not in .6 so I can't verify.

On my .3, that box was checked. Could you check your settings and see if you have such an option and then toggle it?

It's buried in there somewhere, I've wracked my brain trying to remember where it was, so you may have to hunt for it.

I checked every option under settings, nothing there related to that. Also did a Google search, nothing came up. I barely if not have any apps since the hard reset, besides the ones mentioned.

For the battery life issue, check out this thread:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/106242-network-app-usage.html

Many reported a big improvement in battery life under 2.1 after doing this, and it's possible that with 2.2 this needs to be redone.

Already done, and was already set to CDMA auto (PRL).

Well here's sort of an update for me for the charging issue and possibly the awake/up time issue. I found a thread posted a while back from doing a Google search on one of my issues.

http://androidforums.com/support-tr...ke-when-charging-through-usb.html#post1292563

I knew I was going to get bashed posting this post, but at least there's still some decent people out there, thanks.

Upvote 0
If you're using task killers and force closing apps...

doing_it_wrong_skaters.jpg

If you've done a hard reset and gone back to OEM condition, that is only the first step. Admittedly HTC and manufacturers don't make it easy because they leave things enabled by default. Force closing will not necessarily help because if a program is "by design" configured to sync every 10 minutes, using an external method of closing it won't eliminate the fact that it's going to still want to try fulfilling its set objective.

You need to go in and figure out all the things that could be running and configure them properly if your standby and awake times are in unison. This means going into each app and configuring them appropriately. Stop the HTC facebook widget from refreshing, manually log off Gtalk and select it not to log in on startup, tell the Sprint app to update never or only once a month, stop stocks and news from syncing, etc. -- force closing these things won't eliminate the fact that they are, by design, trying to maintain a data connection, and they will constantly fight to achieve their directive unless internally set not to do so.

On a second note, I understand the desire to be OCD... I'm like that too but you have to let it go. This is because not every program that is active or loaded in memory actually has an impact on performance. Android does precache some programs in order to keep things speedy, and if you're using SystemPanel app, you can easily see that just because a program exists and is "active" it doesn't mean it's actually consuming processor cycles. The Evo has a sizable amount of RAM and to the extent that apps can be left in memory, the Evo will allow that -- if the Android can efficiently recover memory when needed, there is no power/performance advantage to having an empty space of memory.

Good luck. It's doable, but requires effort and the right understanding about how Android works.

Well I already said I did a hard reset, and said I didn't install any apps except the ones mentioned, which non are task killers. So I guess you replied wrong?

I've never used the Facebook widget, never even loaded it up. IMO I don't really like it, and rather use the browser version. I don't use Gtalk, it's already signed out. What sprint app are you talking about? There's a few of them. Also in the settings, accounts and sync settings, all syncs are set to manual, and auto sync has been unchecked. I've never mentioned that I was OCD, I said possibly for the OCD types out there as well, who would feel comfortable having nothing running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones