Anyone tethering?

Last Updated:

1. Robinelli

Robinelli Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been considering PDAnet. Easy tether will not work on my lame computer... I have a windows xp 64 bit but it is finicky on what it will do. I tried PDAnet but it didn't go through either. I am not sure if I needed to have the phone connected to the computer through USB while downloading though. Anyone done this yet?

Advertisement
  2. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Well-Known Member

Tethering is not working yet. According to an xda discussion this function is modified in the kernel. However its not sure if this caused by a bug or T-Mobile took it off in purpose.

3. dissident75

dissident75 Well-Known Member

I recently saw a review that said that Barnacle WiFi tethering does work if you have your phone rooted.

4. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

You guys must be talking about WiFi hotspot tethering while the OP is talking about wired tethering. You don't have to root to be able to do that.

Windows would need the drivers for tethering to work. Samsung has there own drivers. Try this.

1. Remove the PDAnet software on your computer and clean the registries.
    2. Download and install the 64bit drivers: Download Samsung Galaxy S USB Driver for Windows x64 Driver for Windows XP X64 / Windows Vista64 / Windows 7 x64 - Softpedia
    3. Re-install PDAnet.
    4. Now plug it in, turn the app on, and it should work fine.

I did this on my 32bit(with the 32bit drivers) Windows 7 and it worked fine. So I assume it should work for you also.

BTW, I think Easy Tethering free version sucks. Can't even check my email because it blocks HTTPS connections.

5. Robinelli

My computer will not accept the download. It says my computer does not support it?

6. truoc444

truoc444 Well-Known Member

I got it working on my macbook by setting it up as a dun device. I had to tweak some settings but the mac picked up most things on its own.

7. S4A

S4A Active Member

8. RansZ28

RansZ28 New Member

Works great using KIES

9. TommyGun0421

TommyGun0421 New Member

After tweaking the BT settings were you able to increase the speed? In the past when I have tried DUN with PDA NET the speeds were considerably slow.

Thanks!

10. sewred

sewred Active Member

How'd you get it to work with this; I couldn't get the drivers to load properly.

11. racingfast

racingfast New Member

I Just installed pdanet and connected fine... 2.4mbps tho is like a SNAIL compared to my 54.0 on cable... :( but I guess if you wanna connect thats the way it is... I presume a better cell connection (bars) would be faster... My house is on the fringe with one bar signal strength..

Also noticed my mouse movement was like inslow motion also and sometimes locked up. Wouldnt think data speed affected mouse travel speed.:confused:

12. Robinelli

I got this to work on my husband's computer. It still refuses to work on my vista computer.

13. djquick

djquick Well-Known Member

14. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

if you guys check out the tips and licks section, i've put up a how to guide to get tethering using samsung software.

nobody visits that section :)

15. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

Windows XP 64 is a piece of sh|t. thats your problem.

Robinelli likes this.
  16. Daedalus

Daedalus Well-Known Member

I was going to say that.

17. BrianH12

BrianH12 Member

I used easytether in my apartment untill we got cable internet and I got up to 1.5mbs download through that but usually 200kbs which was more than enough for everything but games.

18. howetechnical

howetechnical Well-Known Member

I'm rooted and use "Wireless Tether". Works great, creates a WiFi hotspot for anybody in the area to jump on to. You can also configure security parameters such as WEP key (it should have WPA/WPA2 though, honestly). Here in San Diego, I've been consistently hitting 5Mbps+ download and 1.3Mbps+ upload.

19. busybe68

busybe68 New Member

Thanks DKYANG, I just downloaded PDAnet and followed the instructions. Everything seems to work ok. Im using Windows XP on my netbook and I just wanted to have the option to tether if I needed to. I just up graded from an Impression. I have been tethering with that for several months and almost didn't want to give the phone up if I could not tether with the android. I hope to enjoy this site as much as I did my last forum. Bye Samsung-Impression.org. Whoo hooo I just got a new phone!

20. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

Hey I just posted a new method to tether. Go to the tips section and look up the tether how to.

The new method required nothing other than drivers, your phone, usb cable, and windows.Thats it! No program of any sort, none.