• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anything like nPlayer for Android?

Hi all,

First post, so please be gentle with me.

I've just bought a Verbatim MediaShare Wireless and can use it to stream video from a USB or portable hard drive to my iPhone and wife's iPad using nPlayer.

It all works brilliantly. However, nPlayer doesn't appear to have been released for Android tablets (my first gen Nexus 7) and I'm unsure what to use instead.

Is there something similar, better, almost as good?

I'm not after a freebee (though I'm not against the idea) so I'm happy to pay for something if it works, just don't want to keep downloading apps if they're not right.

Thanks in advance.

If you search the Play Store for UPnP or DLNA you'll find several media player apps (including free ones) that will stream audio/video from UPnP/DLNA servers. I haven't tried many of them so I can't say which is best though BubbleUPnP and UPnPlay seem to be a popular choices. I use MediaMonkey for UPnP streaming, but only because that feature just happens to be included in MediaMonkey-- which is my favorite music player app because it creates a total PC-Android solution.
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...oid-sync-solution-like-itunes-but-better.html

Reactions: RooniusMaximus
Upvote 0
As it happens, I was a little premature with trying to find an alternative to the Verbatim app.

It only allows you to play videos that the tablet/phone would play with its native software. So it's very limiting on Apple products, because they play a small selection of available video formats.

However, when I actually tried it on the Nexus (and apologies for asking the question before trying it properly) it does allow you to play the streamed media on your tablet through third party players installed on the device. Things like VLC or Mobo player - both of which I already have.

So when I finally gave it a go, I could play all the files I had.

I did d/l Bubble UPNP though so I'll give that a go too as I've also bought a Chromecast and wanted to be able to stream stuff FROM the tablet to the TV too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones