Anyway to set evo to NOT charge when plugged in to PC?Support

Last Updated:

1. Sim-X

Sim-X Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I had my TP2 set up not to charge the phone when plugged into a pc. I have been transferring some files to the phone and is it possible to set the phone not to charge when connected to my pc?

Advertisement
  2. dlocks

dlocks Well-Known Member

Settings>connect to pc>default connection type and then change to 1 of the 4 settings

3. Sim-X

I set it to Disk Drive as the default choice, but the phone will still charge when connected to a pc.

4. NicksGarage

NicksGarage Well-Known Member

Are you saying you don't want it to charge the battery while you're transferring files? I don't think you can make it act that way or what the purpose would be. Seems like you'd want to take advantage of any opportunity to charge.

5. lyons238

lyons238 Well-Known Member

my guess is that he doesnt want to off set the battery time off 1 charge. when was just testing how long my battery lasted, i messed it up by plugging it into my comp. but nothing a little math cant solve. and nick is right...you should take advantage of any lil charge you can get.

6. Sim-X

I have just been transferring a few files here and there. Don't really need the phone to start charging the few seconds it takes to copy some files.

7. horadin

horadin Well-Known Member

It's not hurting anything, I wouldn't worry about it, and no I don't think there is a way to do what you are asking.

8. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Sim-X is concerned because the batteries DO have only a finite amount of charge cycles before the battery is toast.

It bugs me, but no, there is no way to sync files without charging the battery, too.

9. horadin

horadin Well-Known Member

But what counts as a charge cycle? Is charging the phone for 5 minutes considered a cycle? I figured a charge cycle would be 1 full charge and one full discharge. But I really don't know and am curious.

You do always have the option of buying a new battery with this phone if you do indeed wear it out.

10. Sim-X

Yea it's not a big deal, I don't x-fer that many files anyway. I was just asking I knew there was a way to do it on my tp2 but not this phone. When I transferred a couple items today I had the phone into the pc for no more than 30 seconds.

11. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Thats what i was worried about. I'm pretty sure even if the phone chargers for a minute or two, that will count as one of the "charge cycles" that the battery can handle. Plus, if i'm running my laptop on battery power, and just want to send files to the phone, i dont want the phone hogging more battery from the laptop.

12. apocalypse_later

apocalypse_later Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt this would lessen the life of the battery. If so we'd see this option on all USB chargeable phones, yet we don't see it anywhere.

13. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

As a work around, you could use blue tooth to transfer the files, or email them to yourself.

14. zamardii12

zamardii12 Well-Known Member

You're being too picky... it's not like that's harming the battery or your phone.

15. e1allen

e1allen Member

I have yet to kill a battery but I do wind up with extras usually to get through the day

16. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

You can buy battaries for this phone for like $6 on eBay. I just don't understand why anyone would be counting charge cycles.

17. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

Charge cycle is for discharge, so charging as often as possible is actually better for the battery.

18. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about charge cycles. Perhaps this will help How to prolong lithium-based batteries

As for the OP. You can either do what you're doing or you could use something like dropbox to transfer the files between the computer and phone. That's what I use instead of USB for a few small files and use USB when it's several large files I need.

19. RaiseUp151z

RaiseUp151z Well-Known Member

simple solution is use Bluetooth to send files ....

20. supaumar

supaumar Well-Known Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa