• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Applications backup (+ likely reinstall on new phone)

BigBug

Jan 11, 2013
Hi:

I have a Nexus 5 (with 32G) which I got from Google Play store in March. It came with Kit Kat 4.4.2 and I have made upgrades to 4.4.4 (the phone is not rooted). I use T-Mobile. I only have a few third party apps on it.

I am pretty sure I have some bad memory (here is my thread on my issues). I am about to do a factory reset but before that want everything backed up. I use the usual Google backup which seems to have my contacts, calendar, and apps. I did a manual backup of my internal storage to my laptop. And did CallLogBackupRestore and SMSBackupRestore to get my call and text history.

I think what I am missing are some things within the apps. For example, I use kik and would like to backup my current conversations. I have no idea where this is located. I did see the programs Helium and Holo Backup. Would these backup conversations within kik?

Also in the likely event I have to RMA this phone to Google, are there any complications with reinstalling everything on a new phone (but same make and model)?

Thanks for any tips!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones