• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are Gamers Interested in Social Media Functionality?

zrinfinite

Apr 23, 2014
My Corona SDK subscription is about to expire, which means that soon I will no longer have access to their "Social" plugin unless I want to pay for their pro subscription. Being a poor indie game developer, I'd like to save as much money as I can so that I can invest it into making games. I was just curious how people felt about having the ability to utilize social media in their games. I added a feature in my game recently that allowed players to take screenshots and be able to post them to their twitter, instagram, etc. and haven't really been able to gauge the overall response to it yet, so I figured I'd just ask.

That's like asking if Californians like strawberry ice cream. My wife is ... well, she doesn't play WoW, she lives there, and visits reality once in a while. She's also on Facebook all th time. But never uses one in conjunction with the other. That's her. There are probably lots like her. And there are probably lots who tweet every twitch in every game they play.

Put out a new version without the social media connection and see if you get complaints. If not, you don't need it. If you do get a lot, send those people a free update, and keep it in from now on.

Reactions: zrinfinite
Upvote 0
I think the main reason to have social integration in your games is the free advertising whenever someone makes a post. Personally, I've never posted about my gaming achievements, mobile or otherwise; and I don't want to see it in my feeds either. There is definitely some percentage of people of that like that stuff, you just need to figure out how many of them play your games.

Reactions: zrinfinite
Upvote 0
Thanks guys. Very good points. Ya, the main reason I was interested in it was for the free marketing aspect of social media. I'm just gonna have to give it some time and see if I'm getting any results and having people post. So far though, the general reaction I'm getting from people I ask is they don't care and it's low priority for them to be able to post gameplay to social media. It's a $33 dollar difference in pricing from basic to pro, so honestly it's probably a better investment to save that money and put it towards different forms of advertising than pay for one plugin. Thanks again for the input. By the way, I'm from California and I love strawberry ice cream haha.

Upvote 0
I can only speak for myself, but media integration is a slight annoyance at best. I consider it bloatware. I never use anything of the sort, nor do I want to see that someone got to X level in my feed. I reserve that for interesting stuff, and someone else's achievement is not interesting, only my own is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones