• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are the droid's issues widespread?

Are you having problems with rebooting, or other defective handset problems

• My phone has worked great right out of the box. No problems at all.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • I am having problems.

Votes: 20 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The industry average is about 3% failure rate.

So the "estimated" numbers are just over 100,000 for opening week Droid sales. At 3% you're bound to have 1000 failures.

Being the 2 largest types of posters are "satisfied" and "problems". So you're going to see the most noticeable being problems.

I'm having an issue w/ my signal, but that's just a swap out. Overall I'm extremely happy with the device. My signal is fairly low (in range of my Blackberry but lower than it should be compared to other units) and I'm not having any data issues. Just random voice issues. Going to get it taken care of tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Love Droid so far. Got the car GPS dock and was amazed how when you click it in it goes right to GPS mode. Guess a magnet or something sets it off. Only problem was hooking up to wi-fi, but got that resolved after some tweeks and rebooting the modem and router. Also couldn't figure out how to forward a text, but found that info online. Just open the text and hold down on it, a window will pop up. Anyway, here is the link to a technical bulletin from the verizon techs, that talks about fix dates and known issues, Quite interesting...

Rumor Alert: Motorola Droid Software Update Coming December 11th | Erictric

dan

Upvote 0
I buy new phones like I buy botteled water. Even if a phone has a problem here an there, I expect and deal with it. I converted from the Storm to the Droid. I also am not faithful to carriers. I converted from T-Mobile to Verizon's because they wouldn't give me an early upgrade. People who have no issues with their Droid, most of you are either brand fanboys, or just not attempting to use the features that are having issues. I just found out that NONE of my mom's pictures are being received by other parties/sites. Also, my Wi-Fi rarely works. I hardly need it, but if its supposed to work, it should. Lets not talk about the camera. 5 MP for what? The pic quality is crap and I can't share them anyway! I went to a Verizon's store and an employe had one and said he had no problems with his. I asked him to send me an mms. Guess what! His couldn't do it. I asked him to turn his Wi-Fi on. Guess what! It stayed in search mode. His pictures were crappy, and the flash only works AFTER you take a video/picture. If its dark, you can't see the image. these issues are AFTER THE 12/11/09 UPDATE? the OTA update didn't seem to do anything! If you're not having issues with your phone, try using mms, wiring, or the camera. Lets not talk about email!

Upvote 0
Also, tbe slide out keyboard sucks. The top row is too close to the bottom of tbhe screen. My thumbs keep hitting it. This was ok and I knew about it before I bought it, but since it has an on screen keyboard, I said, I'll just use that! Well, the auto correct sucks. For example, "my mom's pictures are" in my last post should have read "my mms pictures are". Then, auto correct doesn't work in the slide out mode. If you don't use ALL OR MOST features on the phone, why get it? Just get an iPod Touch if all you do is watch youtube videos and play games. This phone is going back in 5 hours!

Upvote 0
Sounds like operator error to me. Maybe a dumbed down razr is more your speed.

Oh, please. Your a stupid fanboy obviously. I can use any phone without instructions. Why suck a Droids ****? Its just a phone! The surepress is superior with far less problems on the Storm. That technibuffalo youtube video even proves it. I bet your wifi didn't work out the box, and your camera sucks. Don't insult me if you're not willing to do it in my face. I'm in Modesto, Ca. Born and raised in NY. I'm at Brendan theater every Sunday night downtown catching the last show crackin'. And you? Bye punk fanboy. Send me an mms with your Droid. Bet you can't!

Upvote 0
I just received my Droid two days ago and Deuce had me all worried about its MMS capabilities, so I just tested with a coworker and all is well. I'm using Handcent, so that may have something to do with it, but I'm happy over here.

I do agree that the camera is lacking, but I knew that before making the purchase and have never used the cameras on my phones for more than simple contact photos or silly pictures of my pets when they're misbehaving.

As for the physical keyboard, I tried a friend's Droid out a couple of weeks before buying and knew what to expect (which is to say I expected to not use it :eek:), but believe it or not after trying it out for just a couple of days I am very happy with it and I like that it does not auto-correct (to avoid spelling MMS as moms, for example). Plus, how else can you enjoy all of the great NES and SNES games on the emulators without it?

I've only tried the wifi on my home network and had no problems at all. Is anyone else having issues with it? I'll have to make sure to play around with it more.

Upvote 0
I just read all these posts and I'm shocked. Does anybody use this device for phone or text? I wish I could warn the world about how much it sucks when it comes to these functions. Here's why:

First off, as a Verizon prisoner, I waited and waited for the IPhone...which never came, so I had high hopes for the Droid and was sold on the unit by the Verizon rep. Stupid me. Let me say this first off...as a computer, and as a navigation device, it's an amazing little device...very impressive. The apps are easy to load and use, and I think it's a slick bit of electronics in that regard. Too bad I really need a phone and texting device too...

As to phone...this thing is really lacking in a few key areas. I use the IPhone for comparison because they were the benchmark and Motorola had a valid template as it relates to user interface, ergonomics, etc. To think that this was an opportunity to raise the bar..and instead they dropped the ball. For example:

1. The droid is about twice as heavy as the Iphone. I'd accept this if it was due to an oversize (and long life) battery, but, sigh, it's not. I suspect it's due to that absolutely useless (for anyone with average or larger hands) physical keyboard (more on that later). So I have dismal battery life and a useless keyboard...but a very effective paperweight in a windstorm.

2. Reception is below average. At least in my area and in comparison to some pretty basic phones I've had in the past.

3. Headphone use - WTF was Motorola thinking? ******s...seriously. Here in California, it's the law that we have to wear a headset. Bluetooth is still pretty annoying for the recipient (sound quality), plus I'm tired of having two different battery chargers, so I go for a simple wired headset. So what the droid does is route the ringer through the headset (fine) but it bypasses the handset when the headset is plugged in. That means you have to leave the earbuds in your ear at all times, lest you not hear your phone ring. Or...you can take them out (to ..say...listen to your stereo), unplug the headset...and when the phone rings scramble to put the earbuds in and plug in the headset...yes...that makes for some safe driving. And another thing...most headsets have the 2.5mm jack...whereas the Droid uses 3.5. Yes there are plenty of adapters available, including the one from Verizon...but when you use it, for some reason (and I've tried several), the audio routes to the earphones (correctly) but the microphone stays with the handset. Meaning..you have to hold the handset close to your mouth...******ed...and illegal.

3. Texting. I have big hands (with all that implies, just in case you were wondering), but not humongous hands...and the physical keyboard is absolutely useless. Not that it isn't too small...a Blackberry keyboard is magnitudes smaller...no...the problem is that the geniuses at Motorola made the keys square and flush...as opposed to most keyboards where the individual keys are slightly raised and separated from ajoining keys. So double strikes and misstrikes are commonplace...more like unavoidable..no matter how careful you are. Simply making the keys smaller and raising them would have made this keyboard fully functional....what were they thinking. But wait..they gave us the virtual keyboard...and dropped the ball again. I use an IPhone or a LG Envy as an example...the keys are separated on the virtual keyboards...whereas on the Droid the keys are so close that, again, misstrikes are common. Seriously, Motorola...you only had to copy that which was already loved.

5. Ok...now how's this for low tech. My $50.00 LG phone would give me separate notification tones for voicemail, text or e-mail..so I knew which was received and I could decide whether it needed immediate attention or could wait. Not the Droid...I get one ringtone for all three functions. Brilliant...truly brilliant. I mean...who would have thought to provide separate tones to identify what was received...well..other than every other phone manufacturer that has ever produced even the most basic phone. Fortunately, and after some digging, I found apps that gave back door ways around this oversight.

So..to sum up..as a techy edgy electronic gadget, this thing is pretty impressive...the voice command functions still amaze me...but as a phone / texting device it blows...even when compared to the most basic phones.

I really, really wanted to like this phone...but I don't. In fact, I hate it.

Upvote 0
I just read all these posts and I'm shocked. Does anybody use this device for phone or text? I wish I could warn the world about how much it sucks when it comes to these functions. Here's why:

First off, as a Verizon prisoner, I waited and waited for the IPhone...which never came, so I had high hopes for the Droid and was sold on the unit by the Verizon rep. Stupid me. Let me say this first off...as a computer, and as a navigation device, it's an amazing little device...very impressive. The apps are easy to load and use, and I think it's a slick bit of electronics in that regard. Too bad I really need a phone and texting device too...

As to phone...this thing is really lacking in a few key areas. I use the IPhone for comparison because they were the benchmark and Motorola had a valid template as it relates to user interface, ergonomics, etc. To think that this was an opportunity to raise the bar..and instead they dropped the ball. For example:

1. The droid is about twice as heavy as the Iphone. I'd accept this if it was due to an oversize (and long life) battery, but, sigh, it's not. I suspect it's due to that absolutely useless (for anyone with average or larger hands) physical keyboard (more on that later). So I have dismal battery life and a useless keyboard...but a very effective paperweight in a windstorm.

2. Reception is below average. At least in my area and in comparison to some pretty basic phones I've had in the past.

3. Headphone use - WTF was Motorola thinking? ******s...seriously. Here in California, it's the law that we have to wear a headset. Bluetooth is still pretty annoying for the recipient (sound quality), plus I'm tired of having two different battery chargers, so I go for a simple wired headset. So what the droid does is route the ringer through the headset (fine) but it bypasses the handset when the headset is plugged in. That means you have to leave the earbuds in your ear at all times, lest you not hear your phone ring. Or...you can take them out (to ..say...listen to your stereo), unplug the headset...and when the phone rings scramble to put the earbuds in and plug in the headset...yes...that makes for some safe driving. And another thing...most headsets have the 2.5mm jack...whereas the Droid uses 3.5. Yes there are plenty of adapters available, including the one from Verizon...but when you use it, for some reason (and I've tried several), the audio routes to the earphones (correctly) but the microphone stays with the handset. Meaning..you have to hold the handset close to your mouth...******ed...and illegal.

3. Texting. I have big hands (with all that implies, just in case you were wondering), but not humongous hands...and the physical keyboard is absolutely useless. Not that it isn't too small...a Blackberry keyboard is magnitudes smaller...no...the problem is that the geniuses at Motorola made the keys square and flush...as opposed to most keyboards where the individual keys are slightly raised and separated from ajoining keys. So double strikes and misstrikes are commonplace...more like unavoidable..no matter how careful you are. Simply making the keys smaller and raising them would have made this keyboard fully functional....what were they thinking. But wait..they gave us the virtual keyboard...and dropped the ball again. I use an IPhone or a LG Envy as an example...the keys are separated on the virtual keyboards...whereas on the Droid the keys are so close that, again, misstrikes are common. Seriously, Motorola...you only had to copy that which was already loved.

5. Ok...now how's this for low tech. My $50.00 LG phone would give me separate notification tones for voicemail, text or e-mail..so I knew which was received and I could decide whether it needed immediate attention or could wait. Not the Droid...I get one ringtone for all three functions. Brilliant...truly brilliant. I mean...who would have thought to provide separate tones to identify what was received...well..other than every other phone manufacturer that has ever produced even the most basic phone. Fortunately, and after some digging, I found apps that gave back door ways around this oversight.

So..to sum up..as a techy edgy electronic gadget, this thing is pretty impressive...the voice command functions still amaze me...but as a phone / texting device it blows...even when compared to the most basic phones.

I really, really wanted to like this phone...but I don't. In fact, I hate it.

I don't like it for the same reason you don't: texting. The physical keyboard IS useless and the keys are actually starting to peel a little. The virtual keyboard...even worse. Always gives the wrong words and letters. Needs multitouch like iphone and better spaced keys. my itouch 98% of the time gets my words/letters right even if i I didn't type it right

Upvote 0
I've had Moto Droid for 5 months now. No major issues, you have to remember it's loke a cpu, your gonna have to reboot sometimes. And as for what people think about the keyboard, or head phone jacks or whatever, there is no perfect phone. Your gonna like what you like and hate what you hate. And when the next phone comes out, it'll be the same.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones