• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are you a Mac or PC?

I discovered Ubuntu about 6 months ago, and after a week or so I blew away my Windows partition entirely and never looked back. Now I only run windows on a virtual machine, and that's only because I need one particular program I can't do without.
Since then I've tested several other Linux distros and have SEVERELY fallen back in love with computers in general.
With Windows I just wanted it to work, with Linux I want to work it!

Upvote 0
My three machines all run Linux, main runs UE (Ultimate Edition a loaded fork of Ubuntu), with compiz and every other goodie I could cram in it, and dual boots windows xp for my wifes iTunes and me flashing roms. Second machine runs Sabayon Linux and PCLOS, last box runs a customized Ubuntu home theatre. All these boxes are old and none have more than four gigs of ram and they all leave my brother in-laws speechless when they see how fast they are after bragging to me about their fancy I7's.

Upvote 0
And BTW not to get a rise out of anyone but, how do you NOT get a virus using windows ? I have gotten viruses installing stupid wallpapers. I am not saying it can't be done, but running windows without some kind of security is a little risky. Like Chris Rock said, you can drive a car with your feet, but that don'take it a good #%*&$@? idea.

Upvote 0
And BTW not to get a rise out of anyone but, how do you NOT get a virus using windows ? I have gotten viruses installing stupid wallpapers. I am not saying it can't be done, but running windows without some kind of security is a little risky. Like Chris Rock said, you can drive a car with your feet, but that don'take it a good #%*&$@? idea.

Or maybe try not installing wallpapers?(you can just rick click an image and set as background... :rolleyes:) Don't download shit your not sure of? (i.e. illegal movie downloads, pirated software etc) Don't open those random chain e-mails your friends love to send you?

Bottom line, don't open shit that your not sure of.

Upvote 0

Yes don't open shit you're not sure of with Windows.

New York Times.
New York Times suffers ad-based malware | bit-tech.net

Daily Mail.
Daily Mail Serves Malicious Ads, Readers Redirected To Malware Installing Server | CyberInsecure.com

Gizmodo.
Gizmodo hit by malware advert attack - Telegraph

Facebook.
Facebook Game Infected With a Malicious Ad

Yahoo and Google.
Malware torrent delivered over Google, Yahoo! ad services ? The Register

Myself, I only surf the internet with Linux these days. Too dangerous to be using Windows.

Upvote 0
A PC is a 'personal computer'
Last time I checked this was computers made by Apple, Acer, Dell, HP, and the list goes on...

What I see debated here is what PLATFORM, or OS you use.
But otherwie I have used all kinds of PCs, which were made by Apple, or dell, or HP.... or ones I have built myself running various operating systems and platforms.

What really gets me going is this 'Mac vs. PC' debate when they are actually the same thing.

Upvote 0

I just use adblock. Problem solved, the ads never even load.

I run a free virus program on my torrent box and tend to never run any sort of virus program or spyware program on my desktop. I haven't had a virus or malicious problem since the days of Windows 98.

Upvote 0

And all of those could be prevented by simply not clicking on them. Is it really that hard?

Furthermore, with win 7 and win vista (maybe xp sp3? not sure?) you can enable UAC that would show a prompt screen any time a serious change would be made to your system. Add the fact that *I believe* DEP is enabled on all systems by default, and you should be uninjectable given you even have some *slight* competency on a machine.

And if your still worried, and want to take extra precautions, you can even run your browsers(and any other program) in a virtual machine, which is actually quite easy.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

has the best virtual machine software (and it's free - open source) I've seen to date, and in integrates right into your system so you can run anything in the "Sandbox" with a right click, and pick sandbox option.

Upvote 0
Or maybe try not installing wallpapers?(you can just rick click an image and set as background... :rolleyes:) Don't download shit your not sure of? (i.e. illegal movie downloads, pirated software etc) Don't open those random chain e-mails your friends love to send you?

OH, you mean dont do anything fun. The nice thing for me is I can do anything I want on my machine. My theatre PC has about 170 downloaded movies. With the amount of hobbies I have that are computer and community related I could not imagine, not downloading crap. You have only enforced my point that the security risk is to great, you are at risk simply installing a wallpaper on a microsoft PC. Also IMO outside of the fact that every company kneels to microsoft, therefore compatibility is great for the mass market, to me microsoft offers nothing in the terms of interface and customization. I am aware that may not mean shit to you but for the amount windows 7 ultimate cost I would definitely be expecting some form of 3D element to the desktop. The best windows came up with was that lame window shake parlor trick. I have discussed in great lenghth with fellow PC nerds, the benefit to all the eye candy and after a quick demo on my PC, the conclusion is that windows users feel the eye candy is not necessary because the choice is not there for them, but in fact everyone who sees my system fully agrees that it would be great to have those options on a daily use machine and see more benefits for the business aspect than I even did. In closing I guess if your pc does what you need than great, and I realize that Linux used to have alot of compatibility and interface problems that are at this point, not an issue anymore but security is there, in part to the low number of users, but hey, thats good for me. Microsoft should be superior in security to any company in existense with the amount of money they have made. Especially considering that that 90% of computer related accessories and software are made by other companies. Bill should start giving a little back to his fanclub.

Upvote 0
OH, you mean dont do anything fun. The nice thing for me is I can do anything I want on my machine. My theatre PC has about 170 downloaded movies. With the amount of hobbies I have that are computer and community related I could not imagine, not downloading crap. You have only enforced my point that the security risk is to great, you are at risk simply installing a wallpaper on a microsoft PC. Also IMO outside of the fact that every company kneels to microsoft, therefore compatibility is great for the mass market, to me microsoft offers nothing in the terms of interface and customization. I am aware that may not mean shit to you but for the amount windows 7 ultimate cost I would definitely be expecting some form of 3D element to the desktop. The best windows came up with was that lame window shake parlor trick. I have discussed in great lenghth with fellow PC nerds, the benefit to all the eye candy and after a quick demo on my PC, the conclusion is that windows users feel the eye candy is not necessary because the choice is not there for them, but in fact everyone who sees my system fully agrees that it would be great to have those options on a daily use machine and see more benefits for the business aspect than I even did. In closing I guess if your pc does what you need than great, and I realize that Linux used to have alot of compatibility and interface problems that are at this point, not an issue anymore but security is there, in part to the low number of users, but hey, thats good for me. Microsoft should be superior in security to any company in existense with the amount of money they have made. Especially considering that that 90% of computer related accessories and software are made by other companies. Bill should start giving a little back to his fanclub.

Newsflash, Windows 7 has been annouced most secure OS in existence since the hack tests from the white hat guys :rolleyes:

Any IDIOT who thinks you need to "Install" a damn wallpaper deserves to get a virus and should go back to VTec Preschool toy.

Upvote 0
Newsflash, Windows 7 has been annouced most secure OS in existence since the hack tests from the white hat guys :rolleyes:

Any IDIOT who thinks you need to "Install" a damn wallpaper deserves to get a virus and should go back to VTec Preschool toy.
First off you should enjoy that whole security thing while it lasts, Microsofts claims that it has ALWAYS been secure which is out and out BS. You can buy that nonsense if you want:rolleyes:. Second it pretty sad you call your fellow windows users idiots for making a mistake that should not be an issue period. Third this is a debate, one that your not going to win, so whatch your tone and chill.:cool:

Upvote 0
Yes apparently it really can be that hard for non-techy/non-geek computer users. One should not even be at risk from adverts on reputable news sites like The Daily Mail and New York Times.

To be honest, I would not expect some of my friends to know the difference between a fake antivirus and a real one, they're not geeks. Which is what I believe these adverts where about.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I would not expect some of my friends to know the difference between a fake antivirus and a real one, they're not geeks. Which is what I believe these adverts where about.

It's just common sense. Seriously. WHY ON EARTH, would your Anti Virus display a warning in a pop up IE/FF window or advertisement? Seriously?

Fellow Windows users? Who cares? It's not like we're part of some club and we pat each other on the back like Apple users do.

And the if those people had UAC enabled, they wouldn't have gotten infected. Anti-Virus's wouldn't trigger a UAC alert. A fake, would.

First off you should enjoy that whole security thing while it lasts, Microsofts claims that it has ALWAYS been secure which is out and out BS. You can buy that nonsense if you want:rolleyes:. Second it pretty sad you call your fellow windows users idiots for making a mistake that should not be an issue period. Third this is a debate, one that your not going to win, so whatch your tone and chill.:cool:

That wasn't Microsoft, that was the White Hat hackers. (I'd take thier word over any manufacturer any day.)

I wasn't aware I could broadcast a "tone" on a forum. Maybe I should ask David Copperfield how to pull that trick off.

Chill - Man I'm always Chill.

Upvote 0
PCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCp for me!!

would love some knowledge on Linux or Ubuntu or whatevs... i like me some nerd learnin!
Then I strongly suggest that you start with a visit to Distrowatch and then perhaps visit a few general linux forums. Pay special attention to glossaries of common linux terminology, since a lot of the discussion tends to lean heavily on linux babble. Also use the search engine, a lot of linux guys are very helpful, but they tend to have short tempers for the newly arriving.

Reactions: Bramsy
Upvote 0

I don't know many, By and large, Microsoft is only playing catch up to Linux on the native security side of things, and most linux OSs still remain extremely secure though not as well known.

I agree that apple could improve in this aspect, but for now they are doing well at enjoying the inherent hacker and malware attention that windows gets.

Upvote 0
That wasn't Microsoft, that was the White Hat hackers. (I'd take thier word over any manufacturer any day.)

I wasn't aware I could broadcast a "tone" on a forum. Maybe I should ask David Copperfield how to pull that trick off.

Chill - Man I'm always Chill.

I am sorry if you thought i was implying that microsoft made those claims, as I do understand that it was not. my point was only that you should enjoy that "security" while it last. I would also have to debate with White Hat, how windows 7 is the most secure OS in "existence", for I know some super geeks myself that said 7 is as easy to crack and hijack as any windows computer ever was, I will not so bold to say it is any worse than anything they have put out before but, by no means since its release has it been the beacon of security, in fact if you Google windows 7 security vulnerabilities there is quite a wealth of info. I also believe windows has no interest in being overly secure as they hold hands with so many companies who design anti-viruses and security software. There is more money for microsoft in the long run to allow security problems, trust me, your security is not microsofts #1 priority.

As for the "tone" comment, I was not aware that most people do not recognize the many uses of the word today here is the Wiki.
Tone (literature)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Look up tone in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Tone is a literary technique that is a part of composition, which encompasses the attitudes toward the subject and toward the audience implied in a literary work. Tone may be formal, informal, intimate, solemn, somber, playful, serious, ironic, condescending, or many other possible attitudes.[1] Tone and mood are not interchangeable.;)
[edit]Usage

Under the element of cadence, the tone of a piece of work can be found in many ways. All pieces of literature, even official documents, have some sort of tone.
In many cases, the tone of a piece of work may change or evolve. Elements of tone include diction, or word choice; syntax, the grammatical arrangement of words in a text for effect; imagery, or vivid appeals to the senses; details, facts that are included or omitted; extended metaphor, language that compares seemingly unrelated things throughout the composition.
Tone is an element used frequently in poetry to convey feeling and emotion, and set the mood for the work. It is important to note that tone and mood are not the same thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones