• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Argh...My N10+ factory-reset while in my pocket

Redeye

Aug 25, 2016
So today, Sat. in the p.m. EDT, my vzw N10+ gave itself a factory reset while at peace in my pocket. The same place where I've worn my phone (left or right pants pocket by itself) since my Note 5 days. No recent drops, and in a "rugged" (Samsung) case. I have the accidental touch protection feature enabled. This has never happened before to any cell phone I've ever owned.

I find it would be very unlikely under these conditions that the phone would have gone through whatever number if fingerprint and/or PIN attempts on its own. It was running stock launcher and not rooted.

Should I:
  • Ask vzw for a new one since this baby is only 3 weeks and one day old. Also because this seems very unlikely to happen on its own and I want to minimize the chances of the issue recurring, plus all the work setting it up just right, or,
  • Just say "oh well" and put her back together again and live like it never happened.
Thanks in advance for any sage advice.

Redeye

well i would at least inquire if verizon will do that for you. do you have insurance? 3 weeks old might be out of the warranty range so you might have to use your insurance.

so here is the thing....if verizon will let you exchange the phone using the 2 week return policy without using up your insurance, i would do that.

if you have insurance, and that is the only way to get it exchanged than you have to ask yourself, do you want to use up your insurance for this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Must be the week for it. My Note 8 did the same thing 2 nights ago just sitting on the bed beside me. 11:00 PM while I was watching the news! I nearly had a stroke! I have never had that happen before in all the years I have had a smartphone and I go all the way back to the OG Droid. And I had the reset protection turned OFF so no matter how many incorrect tries it should not reset anyway. I just finally tonight got everything back to the way it was before the reset. What a mess.

Upvote 0
As you've already referred to, instigating a Factory Reset isn't a random process that can be done accidentally. I'd contact Verizon, explain what happened in detail, and ask for a replacement. If the phone is acting up like this now, that doesn't bode well for the future. If they won't replace it, at least by registering this incident so they have it in their records it will give you leverage on getting it fixed, at their expense, if some other related problem happens later.

Upvote 0
So today, Sat. in the p.m. EDT, my vzw N10+ gave itself a factory reset while at peace in my pocket. The same place where I've worn my phone (left or right pants pocket by itself) since my Note 5 days. No recent drops, and in a "rugged" (Samsung) case. I have the accidental touch protection feature enabled. This has never happened before to any cell phone I've ever owned.

I find it would be very unlikely under these conditions that the phone would have gone through whatever number if fingerprint and/or PIN attempts on its own. It was running stock launcher and not rooted.

Should I:
  • Ask vzw for a new one since this baby is only 3 weeks and one day old. Also because this seems very unlikely to happen on its own and I want to minimize the chances of the issue recurring, plus all the work setting it up just right, or,
  • Just say "oh well" and put her back together again and live like it never happened.

Redeye
You are within the realm of a customer satisfaction warranty exchange and that well falls into a great chance for asking vzw supervisor in order support to do such. I did with sprint
after a month, not for same issue as you.

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Well, after speaking w/Verizon a week ago or so, since I idiotically told them it was in my pocket, they said I shouldn't have it there and to get a holster. The first support person said definitely they will replace it, but when they transferred me to the people that do such things, that person said no, since it's a "known problem" that phones reset when they're in your pocket. Excuse me? Also, they waid it's not a known problem with the N10+ so sorry, good luck. The h/w warranty is a year so hopefully if it happens again, hopefully they will comply. I"m hoping not to have to use insurance 'cause I don't want a refurb phone. I wish I had tried the supervisor idea <Notableuser> recommended.

Most all has been normal since the pocket reset. The only problem I've had is getting an app re-installed form the Amazon app store, RocketDial. When I downloaded the .apk for the appstore app and installed it, the app just blinked off, after briefly showing the app store's splash screen. Amazon support was no help. I went through the process with them step by step, I'm pretty sure I was doing it right.

They want me to turn on debugging and send them the output, but don't really want to since I was able to get RocketDial back by using a SmartSwitch backup I had on my PC.

I'm back to bowling this coming Saturday so we'll see if the alley has been hit with some strange cosmic rays or interference by aliens cause the same thing to happen. Thanks for the responses!

- Redeye

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
If another support staff repeats something like that, be sure to ask them just where in Verizon's documentation that anything like a holster is actually a requirement.
I mean it's is not normal if a device just factory resets itself, it is normal for it to restart by itself but since newer Android version have it set deep into the settings it's is impossible to factory reset since you need 1 user interaction to do it, and 2 it even asks you before you factory reset if you want to continue with warnings of what you will lose in the process of it, if it happens yes it can be a software issue but could also be a hardware issue if it's not resolved via software updates at all

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I have that setting enabled but I don't think a pocket environment w/a case with nothing else in the pocket could make this happen.
In reading this, reminds me of my Vape Mod. It has touch screen, and I keep it in my pocket . Every so often, it does register touches from my leg. I have the mod set at 115 watts, and sometimes I will dig it out and it's either at 1 watt or 225 watts. Despite having a lock button that's supposed to stop that. So it might be possible, especially with thin material for your pockets.

Upvote 0
So today, Sat. in the p.m. EDT, my vzw N10+ gave itself a factory reset while at peace in my pocket. The same place where I've worn my phone (left or right pants pocket by itself) since my Note 5 days. No recent drops, and in a 'rugged' (Samsung) case. I have the accidental touch protection feature enabled. This has never happened before to any cell phone I've ever owned.

Should I:
  • Just say 'oh well' and put her back together again and live like it never happened.

Redeye

It happened to me twice, while in my left pocket. It happened after a month of getting my New Note10, and then the following week. I called tech support and they claimed that it's impossible, that the feature to restore after too many attempts is not enabled in this phone.
I do know, that both times, I had been doing brisk walking activities.
I reached the conclusion that it is a flaw from the feature that unlocks the phone with the on screen fingerprint sensor.
Turned it off and it's been over two weeks without incidents. I still use it to unlock apps, but Not the phone from the lock. Screen
Will try for about two months and then turn it on to see what happens.

Did you happened to have yours On as well?

Upvote 0
It happened to me twice, while in my left pocket. It happened after a month of getting my New Note10, and then the following week. I called tech support and they claimed that it's impossible, that the feature to restore after too many attempts is not enabled in this phone.
I do know, that both times, I had been doing brisk walking activities.
I reached the conclusion that it is a flaw from the feature that unlocks the phone with the on screen fingerprint sensor.
Turned it off and it's been over two weeks without incidents. I still use it to unlock apps, but Not the phone from the lock. Screen
Will try for about two months and then turn it on to see what happens.

Did you happened to have yours On as well?
I don't ever turn it on if I forget I'll just factory reset my self lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones