• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T gave me $125 credit

If Walmart does Price Matching, then you just need to go back to the store, show them a print out from one of the their competitors, and Walmart will give you the difference, not AT&T.

Walmartstores.com: Price matching

Yes walmart does do price matching, but it states: "We do not honor Internet Pricing." Does this mean ALL websites or just their own website? (A sales rep told me that the walmart.com prices are usually lower than in the physical store)

Upvote 0
Originally BestBuy matched an online price for me of $99 for a renewal and I was satisfied with that and am still satisfied because I also earn points and have a much better phone insurance plan through BestBuy. However, I am glad to see others getting refunds as well because that just encourages them to keep these phones!

Upvote 0
I just called AT&T premier and spoke with a very helpful gentleman. I advised him of the $49 pricing on Amazon as well as the $9.99 wirefly special. I am still well within my 30 days. I also brought up my GPS frustrations. He said he would happily give me a customer satisfaction credit of $150 to my account. I am pretty happy with AT&T right now.

Upvote 0
I can't help but ask why some of you are doing this? I'm all about getting a few extra bucks... but really?

Now AT&T's going to raise our rates even further because of all the freeloaders requesting "price matching" and threatening to take back a phone if they don't get 3/4 of the price they paid a month ago. ;)

Are you serious with this? I have been with AT&T for over 3 years and I have never had my wireless rate raised, it's called a contract, a written agreement on a rate plan. In fact, the rate plan I have is no longer offered by AT&T and hasn't been for 2 years. AT&T is paying the same bulk rate for the phones that every other vendor is paying.

Asking AT&T to apply a credit to your account for a price match is called being a wise consumer, if someone else is selling the same phone for a cheaper rate AT&T cannot justify charging so much more. If you choose to not ask for the credit that is your decision.

I just got off the phone with AT&T and explained it to them, I asked for a price match and they said they don't have an option for price matching and can't do it. I informed them that is incorrect based on forums that other customers were issued credits on their accounts for the difference in price and asked to speak with a manager or supervisor. Then they informed me that they could offer me a credit and apply it to my account. They gave me a $100 credit which I gladly accepted. I'd rather not go through Wirefly because I cannot go to the store to exchange it if an issue should arise. I swapped my 1st phone on Wednesday because of random shutdowns and I made sure that I had 30 days from the date of the exchange to return or replace the replacement in the event of a similar issue.

AT&T made me happy!

Wirefly is selling them for $9.99 for new customers and $79 for existing cutomers upgrading and the rate plans are the same as the AT&T store.

Upvote 0
Are you serious with this? I have been with AT&T for over 3 years and I have never had my wireless rate raised, it's called a contract, a written agreement on a rate plan. In fact, the rate plan I have is no longer offered by AT&T and hasn't been for 2 years. AT&T is paying the same bulk rate for the phones that every other vendor is paying.

Asking AT&T to apply a credit to your account for a price match is called being a wise consumer, if someone else is selling the same phone for a cheaper rate AT&T cannot justify charging so much more. If you choose to not ask for the credit that is your decision.

I just got off the phone with AT&T and explained it to them, I asked for a price match and they said they don't have an option for price matching and can't do it. I informed them that is incorrect based on forums that other customers were issued credits on their accounts for the difference in price and asked to speak with a manager or supervisor. Then they informed me that they could offer me a credit and apply it to my account. They gave me a $100 credit which I gladly accepted. I'd rather not go through Wirefly because I cannot go to the store to exchange it if an issue should arise. I swapped my 1st phone on Wednesday because of random shutdowns and I made sure that I had 30 days from the date of the exchange to return or replace the replacement in the event of a similar issue.

AT&T made me happy!

Wirefly is selling them for $9.99 for new customers and $79 for existing cutomers upgrading and the rate plans are the same as the AT&T store.

Again....

Sarcasm meter... broken!

Upvote 0
I went to the kiosk where I bought the phone. The store manager was there. I explained that I do not want to return the phone. But if they don''t price match Walmart I will return it. I also explained to him that if I did return the phone, it would not be fair to pay the $35 restocking fee since the phone is technically defective (GPS). He tried to tell me he never heard there was a problem as he has the phone. I pulled out my phone and googled Galaxy S GPS problems. Nuff said there. Also told him that Samsung is working on a fix, so it's a Samsung issue, after he tried to tell me it was a problem on Google's end. Explained that the phone was made by Samsung and sold by AT&T, therefore it's a AT&T problem. He told me he couldn't do a price match since they are required to sell at a certain price point (they are an authorized seller of AT&T). He called an AT&T rep to see if I could get a credit on my bill for the difference. I'm waiting to hear from the manager as he has not heard back from the rep. I'll update when I know. A side note: He did check my receipt a second time before I left. I'm assuming to check the purchase date so he could drag me along until the 30 days are up. I have 7 more days so he's SOL on that one. If it is not resolved, I will do a charge back on my debit card for the full purchase price, leaving them without a phone and my money. This of course is a last resort which of course I will use in my negotiations with them.

Update: Had to call the manager as he never called me back. He talked to a rep who said that they called Walmart and confirmed that they were selling it for $148.xx in store and they couldn't match Walmart online price. Said that since I paid $220 they would credit me the difference on my next bill. I only paid $200 so I'm not sure where they are getting that number from. Told them that was cool. I'll take the extra $70.

Upvote 0
I may have been one of the first to to call and ask for credit (August 11 or 12) and just now saw the thread. I bought iPhone 4 and exchanged for the Captivate and my 30 days was up on July 29, so I was well outside my 30 days window. ATT Premier customer with 5 years of service and a $230 bill/month -- told the rep that i exchanged a perfectly working phone for a non working phone, and paid at least $100, and in some cases $150 more than other places. Red came back with one time $90 credit, or 3 $40 credits over 3 months totaling $120. I was pretty happy.Actually used Gunny's wirefly purchase to help out.

Upvote 0
Sorry to bump an older thread but question here.

My brother might be able to pick up the phone at an AT&T Corp store for $100-150. If I take his receipt to the AT&T Corp store I bought it from, would they price match that or atleast discount it (these are actual AT&T stores, not the 3rd party dealers)?

Upvote 0
i was at 33 days, i bitched pissed and moaned to a rep, then to her supervisor who all told me no, then i asked to be moved over to the department that handles contracts and termination of services. Got me a nice rep who gave me a 60$ credit on my next bill for not only my captivate that was past its 30 days but another 60$ that for the one we bought 2 weeks ago that was still eligible for return. so we paid 140 for the phones. Not the greatest but its something. ATT customer for 5 years with a corporate discount no less of 20% monthly off my bill and thats the best they would give me. I took it. I was out of return period on one of em.

Upvote 0
I actually purchased my Captivate on an early upgrade, and was grandfathered in with an unlimited date package. My 30 days are up as well, and they still gave me a $100 credit, though it was a pain in the rear trying to get it. It only depends on the manager you get on the phone, or store you visit, and if they are willing to give you a credit. Again, they do not have to, because AT&T does not do price matching.

called 3 seperate times and none of the managers i spoke with would grandfather my umlimited data plan.... and what really concerns me is while watchdog shows i've only used like 20mb of data, att has me at 125mb..

still have a couple weeks to decide if i should keep it or not.... love the phone overall but there are certainly some issues with the device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones