• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Atrix 4G-Atrix 2 laptop dock compatability?

jpwarrior

Lurker
May 11, 2010
FL
I have a new Laptop Dock for my OG Atrix which was just exchanged for the Atrix2 (refurb). I thought I saw somewhere that the dock would work with the Atrix2 if you used micro HDMI cables? Although an error shows up on the top of the screen the unit still functions with the Atrix 2. Again, this is a vague recollection, hence my reason for posting. Has anyone tried this yet.

I read somewhere that the ports are "backwards" on the Atrix 2 when compared to 4G.....someone mentioned they were able to turn the connectors around on their 4G dock.....but I have never used one, so didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the thread.

Yes you're able to use atrix 2 with the original lapdock. I accomplished this yesterday. I had to pop open the cradle and flip both micro USB and hdmi cables. The micro hdmi wasn't as easy to fit back in the hole because there's a small piece of plastic I had to file down. I'll have to warn you, the atrix 2 doesn't connect smoothly as did the orig atrix. Although I flipped the connectors, it's slightly uneven. The atrix 2 does fit, but I recommend connecting it carefully as not to damage the ports.

Reactions: jpwarrior
Upvote 0
Yes you're able to use atrix 2 with the original lapdock. I accomplished this yesterday. I had to pop open the cradle and flip both micro USB and hdmi cables. The micro hdmi wasn't as easy to fit back in the hole because there's a small piece of plastic I had to file down. I'll have to warn you, the atrix 2 doesn't connect smoothly as did the orig atrix. Although I flipped the connectors, it's slightly uneven. The atrix 2 does fit, but I recommend connecting it carefully as not to damage the ports.
I've been reading this was a fix. My understanding is there's still some loss in functionality as well?

Upvote 0
I just purchased - 1 of Cable Adapter Set for Motorola Atrix 4G - Micro-HDMI (F) to Micro-HDMI (M) Cable and Micro-USB (F) to Micro-USB (M) Cable from Seller1on1 from Amazon and it allows you to connect your new or refurb Atrix 2 to the original 4g lapdock. You have to use both cables to make the hdmi connection work. If you try just the hdmi connection it won't work. It says that there is a compatibility error.

Great option for those that want to keep and use the lapdock 4g for $27.99

I also bought the Motorola travel adaptor for $15.33 from thePruneDanish at Amazon. Allows you to hook up hdmi to flat screen and get webtop feature just like the docking station which cost about $60 to $99. Plus you don't have to plug in a power cord.

Two great items for the Atrix 2 which is a much better phone than the original Atrix.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones