• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sigtau2001

Lurker
Feb 24, 2011
I just bought the atrix a couple of days ago and i really dig it. i really liked my captivate but after the gps crap and the froyo deal i doubt i will get a samsung anytime soon.

I'm wondering whether i should trade my atrix for the htc inspire.

some of the things i liked when i saw the inspire were the widgets and feel of the phone. best buy didnt have a demo inspire when i bought the atrix so i couldnt really compare the two.

like i said i really like the atrix but want some honest feedback sans bias since i could trade this phone back in for the htc in the next 25 days

I just bought the atrix a couple of days ago and i really dig it. i really liked my captivate but after the gps crap and the froyo deal i doubt i will get a samsung anytime soon.

some of the things i liked when i saw the inspire were the widgets and feel of the phone. best buy didnt have a demo inspire when i bought the atrix so i couldnt really compare the two.

like i said i really like the atrix but want some honest feedback sans bias since i could trade this phone back in for the htc in the next 25 days

I would opt for atrix over inspire personally.

I don't *like* motorola per se..

but, atrix has the best battery life for any android phone yet + you already like it + two cores for the price of one..

With that said.. Inspire is a great phone from what I hear. All equates to personal preference.

Upvote 0

i think i'm unbiased. i've been watching and reading about these three phones since viewing the CES event live while they were showcased publicly for the first time, wanting to make a solid decision myself that will last me two years. i've given my (limited) opinion in another thread, but one thing that might not be readily talked about is: the tech at my local AT&T store (sharp guy and historically reliable) said that only one of the CPUs is used for the phone. i have not found any write up on this myself. he said it's not an application software or OS limitation that will eventually be addressed either. the other CPU is used for the laptop while docked. when you are using the phone, you aren't getting two CPUs working for you. you should assume it's a one CPU phone when you do your comparisons, especially if you never intend to dock it. this brings back into the forefront the other features that are important to you.

Upvote 0
i think i'm unbiased. i've been watching and reading about these three phones since viewing the CES event live while they were showcased publicly for the first time, wanting to make a solid decision myself that will last me two years. i've given my (limited) opinion in another thread, but one thing that might not be readily talked about is: the tech at my local AT&T store (sharp guy and historically reliable) said that only one of the CPUs is used for the phone. i have not found any write up on this myself. he said it's not an application software or OS limitation that will eventually be addressed either. the other CPU is used for the laptop while docked. when you are using the phone, you aren't getting two CPUs working for you. you should assume it's a one CPU phone when you do your comparisons, especially if you never intend to dock it. this brings back into the forefront the other features that are important to you.

Quoted for truth

Upvote 0
I am an iphone4 user. And thinking about getting the inspire or atria. Kind of leaning towards the atria though. As long as it can b verified to have a better reception than the iPhone. A lot of reviews indicate the atria and inspire are similar, but not sure why such a price difference at most online stores. For example Costco has the Atrix for $119 and the inspire for $49. Both for renewals and new contracts.

Upvote 0
I am an iphone4 user. And thinking about getting the inspire or atria. Kind of leaning towards the atria though. As long as it can b verified to have a better reception than the iPhone. A lot of reviews indicate the atria and inspire are similar, but not sure why such a price difference at most online stores. For example Costco has the Atrix for $119 and the inspire for $49. Both for renewals and new contracts.

Because your paying for the extra core that you won't utilize

Upvote 0
Been following both these phones pretty closely, almost got an Inspire due to problems with my Liquid but now that I have figured out how to make it usable, thinking of just holding off until LTE later this year.

Recently went to a couple of AT&T stores and got the chance to test both of these phones. Spent quite a bit of time obviously.

Obviously in terms of specs, Atrix wins.
-Even if dual-core doesn't mean much right now (tho it probably will once 2.4 hits plus Nividia is known for graphics and there are already many games optimized for Tegra 2 devices, not really my thing tho, along with Adobe Flash 10.2 which will be hitting for Tegra 2 devices).
-A front facing camera while not useful for me could be good to have
-A micro-HDMI port which outputs the entire device to an HDTV/monitor is really a huge plus (I could imagine hooking it up to my HDTV, getting a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and using Webtop. Hell sending SMS on an actual keyboard sounds awesome to me or truly being able to utilize voice/data at the same time).
-The screen on the Atrix did look better to me (tho I am sure with the Inspire having a Super-LCD would perform better outdoors).
-Both of them have ALOT of RAM (especially compared to my 256MB Liquid).

In terms of overall look/feel of the device, the Inspire wins hands down. Atrix didn't feel like a quality product to me (the plastic is a turn off for me) while the Inspire is probably one of the best looking smartphones I have ever seen (this is all personal preference obviously). The one word to describe the Inspire is "sexy." I really feel that nobody does eye candy better than HTC (and I love eye candy).

Furthermore, when it comes to hacking/modding, the Inspire is also superior. The Atrix has an encrypted bootloader and being able to port ROMs will be a challenge while the Inspire already has 2.3 ROMs (CM7) available. Plus while the Inspire only has a single-core processor, it is a very good processor that can be overclocked to run smoothly at speeds of 1.4GHz-1.9GHz (some devices react better).

Sense v MOTOBLUR- I prefer Sense. The launcher is MUCH smoother, the widgets seem way classier (iono Motorola's widgets look ugly/clunky to me). But if you put LauncherPro Plus on the phone, it doesn't really matter too much.

Also HTC does have a great reputation when it comes to updates but Motorola, not so much. Tho AT&T would be something to worry about here.

My personal preference would be the Inspire (due to looks and hacking) but I can see why somebody would go with the Atrix, it does look like a cool device (especially the HDMI-out port, that is awesome).

Upvote 0
Quoted for truth

It has been proven otherwise. 2 minutes of real research(not taking someones word for it on a forum) will show that both cores are utilized. This has been stated by nvidia, Motorola, and Google. While Android 2.2 may not be optimized for dual core processors the processor can still automatically handle it. Have a look at the benchmarks they already show almost twice the performance of single core devices and that's with an OS that isn't even optimized for it yet. You wouldn't get that level of performance if only one core is working.

Upvote 0
It has been proven otherwise. 2 minutes of real research(not taking someones word for it on a forum) will show that both cores are utilized. This has been stated by nvidia, Motorola, and Google. While Android 2.2 may not be optimized for dual core processors the processor can still automatically handle it. Have a look at the benchmarks they already show almost twice the performance of single core devices and that's with an OS that isn't even optimized for it yet. You wouldn't get that level of performance if only one core is working.

So if that's the case then the atrix is even less impressive as real world speeds seem the same

Upvote 0
Because your paying for the extra core that you won't utilize

Android 2.2 is not able to run the second core. Considering the fact that is the first dual core US smartphone, there is currently little, if anything, out there to access both cores. I have heard that android 2.3, when released for the atrix, should have access to the second core.

The dual core aside, the Atix also has 1 Gig memory, not to be confused with storage, while the inspire is only 512. However, HTC seems to be a better brand when it comes to Android phones. More people seem to like Sense US over both MotoBlur and TouchWiz too.

Upvote 0
So if that's the case then the atrix is even less impressive as real world speeds seem the same

If you are referring to Data Speeds, you would be right. thanks to AT&T capping the data speeds in all non-iphone smartphone. The Dual core has nothing to do with the data transfer speeds, it is more for graphics. There are few games on the market designed for the dual processor. No free ones, and it looks like the cheapest ones are $4.99

Upvote 0
Android 2.2 is not able to run the second core. Considering the fact that is the first dual core US smartphone, there is currently little, if anything, out there to access both cores. I have heard that android 2.3, when released for the atrix, should have access to the second core.

The dual core aside, the Atix also has 1 Gig memory, not to be confused with storage, while the inspire is only 512. However, HTC seems to be a better brand when it comes to Android phones. More people seem to like Sense US over both MotoBlur and TouchWiz too.

And to add to the fact that the inspire has 768 the atrix only utilizes 512 mb of the 1g

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones