• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

awesome website

The really funny part about this is....wait for it....wait for it... my employee discount went from 30% to 40% off in the last 2 days. So now I am paying 75 bucks a month with 10 dollar fee for 2 evos.

Crazy. I thought 27% was the highest (Chase).

On a different note: I can't believe how many people are mad at him for voicing his opinions. Yes, Sprint is allowed to charge whatever they want, and, if he's unhappy with it, he can either get a different phone or a different provider, but he's still allowed to express his opinions. Worst case scenario: Sprint actually abolishes the $10 add-on. Further, just as people have said he doesn't have to get the phone, people don't have to read his opinions.

Cheers! :)

Upvote 0
this must be the KITTEN DEATH THREAD. From now on anytime someone creates a stupid $10 fee thread, a kitten gets it!!!!

FOR THE LOVE OF KITTENS STOP MAKING THESE DUMB THREADS.

To everyone pissed off about the $10, think about this. Your unlimited data with a 5GB cap just got lifted you un-greatfull morons. READ THE FINE PRINT.

http://explainthefee.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/106726-3.png

Actually, if you notice my post..

No 5GB cap on 3G? There is no cap on 3G data on cell phones. This only applies to Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Imbedded Modems and Phone-As-Modems.

There is no cap with the "unlimited data" plan.

Upvote 0

No 5GB cap on 3G? There is no cap on 3G data on cell phones. This only applies to Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Imbedded Modems and Phone-As-Modems.

There is a cap but it has never really been enforced,it will be.

Most of the older phones just were not capable of reaching 5gb in useage,the EVO will..

Upvote 0

so does the $10 fee remove the cap if we tether the evo and use the "phone-as-modem" or not?

Upvote 0
If the cutomer doesn't have 4g in their area they shouldn't be required to pay for it or never exceeds the 5 gb cap.I think Sprint should give the customer a choice to opt in for 4g if they (the customer)have it in their home area.If 4g doesn't make it to a customer's area they should not be charged.Summed up if you use it you pay,if not you don't.Just an opinion folks.

Upvote 0
YES. ;)

DUDE! read your fine print. You will see you are flat out wrong. The 5GB cap is on and always has been. Do some research, Google it, show some evidence. OH wait you did....you posted it in another post as your evidence. Well I guess I am wrong lol because your posts are god.

Sprint to limit data usage on everything plans | Crave - CNET <--- read this lol

SirSlayer,

I am aware of the change in 2008, but yet again it's only for Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Imbedded Modems and Phone-As-Modems.

https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm

Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Imbedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024 KB equal 1 MB. 1024 MB equal 1 GB.

Sprint chat:

3:29:55 PM :​
Me: Can you answer this? Will the data card be capped at 5GB and will the phone be capped at 5GB if I have the Unlimited Data plan for 69.99?
3:30:26 PM :​
Robin S.: The data card has a cap of 5GB on the 3G network.

3:30:35 PM :​
Me: Does the phone have the same cap?

3:30:40 PM :​
Robin S.: However, the phone does not have such cap.

3:31:05 PM :​
Robin S.: You can use Unlimited Data on your phone with the $69.99 Everything Data plan.

Upvote 0
Seriously guys? why the bitching for the fee? Yes it sucks... Yes no one wants to pay it... but it is going to be one of the top three (if not the best) phones currently on the market. We had to pay an extra $30 a month for iPhone whether you wanted to use 3g or not. I heard no where near as much whining from early adopters to the iPhone as I have from yall... Either pay the $10 and get the phone, or don't.... nuff said

/thread

Reactions: nikkihp79
Upvote 0
SirSlayer,

I am aware of the change in 2008, but yet again it's only for Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Imbedded Modems and Phone-As-Modems.

https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm

Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Imbedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024 KB equal 1 MB. 1024 MB equal 1 GB.

Sprint chat:

3:29:55 PM :​
Me: Can you answer this? Will the data card be capped at 5GB and will the phone be capped at 5GB if I have the Unlimited Data plan for 69.99?
3:30:26 PM :​
Robin S.: The data card has a cap of 5GB on the 3G network.

3:30:35 PM :​
Me: Does the phone have the same cap?

3:30:40 PM :​
Robin S.: However, the phone does not have such cap.

3:31:05 PM :​
Robin S.: You can use Unlimited Data on your phone with the $69.99 Everything Data plan.

Yep, I removed my original comment. I found that info as well. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: explainthefee
Upvote 0
I actually want to thank you, since some of the readers might not understand this. I'll try and make it easier to understand on the site.

Thank you again and glad we were able to clarify this. (only took me 30 minutes in the Sprint.com chat heh)

Let me ask you a few questions..

Do you think that Sprint has the right to raise its fees?

Do you question a company every time it raises its fees by starting a website?

Did your gas prices go up from 1.80 to 4.00 bucks in less than 2 years and did you start a website to question the gas companies when that happen?

Upvote 0

Did your gas prices go up from 1.80 to 4.00 bucks in less than 2 years and did you start a website to question the gas companies when that happen?

It seems like since November of '08, people think that they are obligated to get a free lunch whether it be from the government or corporate America. It just doesn't work that way.

Upvote 0
Overall, the problem for me is not the fee, it is the fact that Sprint is clearly trying to treat it's customers like morons. Charging an additional $10 for features of the hardware itself, such as the 4.3 inch screen or dual cameras is ludicrous.

Just tell me the fee is to pay for the 4G build out and that it will help get 4G in my area in a somewhat timely manner and I'll gladly pay the fee.

Reactions: celeste9000
Upvote 0

Yes, I have no issue if they wanted to start charging $100 more for it's services.

No, I have never questioned a company that raised it's fees or created a website.

Yes, my prices did go up and no, no website.

-----

I have no issue with Sprint deciding to raise their prices, but if they institute a -FEE- and state that it's for a "data" package and cannot answer my questions regarding it's origin, yes I have an issue.

When I ask their corporate office and PR Manager for an answer regarding this fee, and they continue to answer with "the phone has a faster CPU and bigger screen", I wanted to question that.

Honestly, if you're not a fan of my website, I totally understand and respect you.

It's always easier to do nothing...

Just tell me the fee is to pay for the 4G build out and that it will help get 4G in my area in a somewhat timely manner and I'll gladly pay the fee.

That's my exact goal.

Reactions: celeste9000
Upvote 0
Since I'm going to buy an Evo regardless of the $10 fee, I'm taking it as a challenge. I've been averaging 8-9gbs a month with my Pre. Sprint seems to think that by using an Evo I'll use much more data. I'm going to do my best to prove them right! The hard part though, is going to be due to the fact that I don't have 4g in my area, and probably won't for the year that I'll have the Evo. Soooo..... I'm gonna find a way to stream data 24/7 when my phone is not in use. :p

Upvote 0
Overall, the problem for me is not the fee, it is the fact that Sprint is clearly trying to treat it's customers like morons. Charging an additional $10 for features of the hardware itself, such as the 4.3 inch screen or dual cameras is ludicrous.

You hit it right on the head. If Sprint were to say that every 4g capable phone will have a $10 per month surcharge to help with the build-out, the complaints would mostly die. The explanations are just lame. I am pro-business (am a business owner), but I refuse to be a Lemming and except lame excuses. I don't mine paying the fee with a reasonable explanation. I use my Hero a lot. Will I use the Evo more just because it has a bigger screen? Nope, I will just not have to strain my old eyes to see what's on the screen.

Upvote 0
explain.jpg

Reactions: ekt8750
Upvote 0
I have no issue with Sprint deciding to raise their prices, but if they institute a -FEE- and state that it's for a "data" package and cannot answer my questions regarding it's origin, yes I have an issue.

When I ask their corporate office and PR Manager for an answer regarding this fee, and they continue to answer with "the phone has a faster CPU and bigger screen", I wanted to question that.

When I first saw the site, my instant reaction was just to think that this was more belly aching about an additional $10 fee that if it's too much for someone to pay, they most likely have other priorities than buying a brand new EVO.

Interestingly enough, the more I read from him, the more I realize that he has a point, Sprint is breaking their necks to make sure that we know the fee isn't for 4G access and it's because we'll be using more data with a beautiful phone like the EVO, but his questions have been pretty pointed and Sprint has been unable to actually explain why we need to pay $10 when we practically have unlimited data already.

Like he said, it would probably be more palatable if Sprint just came out and said, this is to help bring 4G to more areas instead of them trying to pull a PR move and say everything but that. Ever since I heard about the fee, I always took it as me helping somebody else get 4G so that when I travel I still have access, but it would be more honest if Sprint just said that too, so people can stop belly aching.

Reactions: Bales
Upvote 0
When I first saw the site, my instant reaction was just to think that this was more belly aching about an additional $10 fee that if it's too much for someone to pay, they most likely have other priorities than buying a brand new EVO.

Interestingly enough, the more I read from him, the more I realize that he has a point, Sprint is breaking their necks to make sure that we know the fee isn't for 4G access and it's because we'll be using more data with a beautiful phone like the EVO, but his questions have been pretty pointed and Sprint has been unable to actually explain why we need to pay $10 when we practically have unlimited data already.

Like he said, it would probably be more palatable if Sprint just came out and said, this is to help bring 4G to more areas instead of them trying to pull a PR move and say everything but that. Ever since I heard about the fee, I always took it as me helping somebody else get 4G so that when I travel I still have access, but it would be more honest if Sprint just said that too, so people can stop belly aching.

Question, even if you're not on 4g considering that they are selling a doc for the device wont you still be able to hook the phone up to your TV or Audio receiver via hdmi and steam video or audio? If so then you could therotiaclty turn the phone on over night and let it run.

Upvote 0
The only way to stop the fee is to vote with your wallet. Best way to do it is for 95% of those who buy the phone to use it for 2 weeks then return it and cancel their account. Sprint will have a lot of EVO's they can "refurb" and I guarantee the fee will be removed.

Oh wait ..... nobody is going to do that because they want the phone. In that case, quityerbitchin! They are charging the fee BECAUSE THEY CAN.

VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET! (or don't and pay the fee, like me)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones