• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Backlightgate"

npro1464

Sep 2, 2010
Some Reports of Backlight Bleeding on iPad 2 - MacRumors Forums

Remember "antennagate" for the iPhone 4? It looks like there might be a defect for the popular iPad 2. Users are reporting yellow tint issues which supposedly comes from the glue not being dry enough and (supposedly) goes away over time. Other users are reporting backlight bleeding on their new iPads. In some corners or edges of the iPad, you you might see little light spots when viewing a dark image.

The iPad was well recieved for the most part and favored to more by reviewers than the Motorola Xoom, and this may have a turn-around affect. I'm concerned, because I recently submitted an order for a 32 GB wifi only one, and am considering cancelling it. Is this an overreaction by picky users? Is this problem widespread?

I'm concerned, because I recently submitted an order for a 32 GB wifi only one, and am considering cancelling it. Is this an overreaction by picky users? Is this problem widespread?

I'll have a look in the iPad Forums for that info, then I'll report back with my findings here in the Android Forums. ;)

Just kidding. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Perhaps a "you're holding it wrong" press conference? :D

Reactions: ScorpDX
Upvote 0
The iPhone4 had the same yellow tint from uncured glue when it first came out too, turned out to be a non-issue. As for the backlight leaking, it's probably a small percentage of them have the issue, and you'll most likely get one that's fine. But if you would feel better cancelling the order and giving Apple a month or two to work out the manufactuing bugs, go ahead. You've made it this long without an iPad2, you'll survive another month or so! It's not like they aren't going be be around much longer!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones