• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Baseband question on froyo

biggdogg

Dec 28, 2009
New Jersey
I'm currently using BBv.4 on my rooted Droid1 and I am still using the old baseband that came on the original stock ota 2.1 update1. I am always looking for ways to get more battery life out of my phone and that got me thinking. Technically I'm new to the whole smartphone scene and didn't get the whole hype about it :(until I got my Droid back in Dec. And since then have spent many hours learning about linux and researching the Android OS. Eventually I'm going to get into application development and coding. Everything I know is from research and trial and error on my Droid. The question I have is concerning the possible link between decreased battery life and the new baseband that is being pushed with the official Froyo ota update. I have not updated to an official 2.2 version so I can't compare the battery life between the two myself so I'm wodering if any of the more knowledgable members of the forum ( you know who you guys are, lol) can help me out with this. The reason it is eating at me is because on Petes website there is a post on the forum about updating the baseband to the current version being used by Verizon instead of the one that was out in june with the same number. In the post it states the binary code is slightly different in the newer version. Could it be that something in the new version is effecting the battery life? Also, what is the downside of not updating my baseband if everything seems to be working properly. Sorry for such a long post but my mind is hungry for knowledge. Thanks in advance!

Well in theory if the baseband gets a stronger signal you will have better battery life. I swithed from C_01.3E.01P to Petes latest C_01.43.01p and did not notice a huge differnce in signal strength but my voice outgoing was much clearer. Pete lists 4 basbands on his site. It seems different basebands work better areas better than others so like kernels and roms you really have to try them out to see what works best for you. Good thing is they are simple to swap out. Just download a couple onto your sd card and give them a try. You can check your signal strength by going to Settings/About Phone/Status and check your signal strength. The lower the number the stronger the signal. (-60dbm is better than -90dbm). You can also download "real signal" from the market and it will give you and actual signal in your pull down scroll as well as the high and low.

Peter Alfonso

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones