Battery charger making high pitch noise?Support

1. ellissong

ellissong Member

Hey guys. New here.

Anyways, I got the Incredible yesterday, and as I was charging the phone last night, I noticed a high pitch noise somewhere in my room. Turns out it was the battery charger. Has anyone else experienced this? It's extremely annoying, and I've had to put stuff over the top of it to not hear it.

Advertisement
    :
  2. TPR300C

TPR300C Well-Known Member

Mine is working fine. No sounds at all! Call VZW, the charger also has a warranty
  3. drtrmiller

drtrmiller Active Member

The transformer in the charger is making the noise because it is failing.

It may work for a while, but you should contact Verizon immediately (call 800-922-0204) to arrange an exchange for the charger only so as to prevent any damage to your device.
  4. jo28

jo28 Member

I noticed the same noise when I charged mine.
  5. tats_06

tats_06 Well-Known Member

I have had this noise on many vzw phones...LGs, Blackberrys...didn't have it on Droid, and will see about Incredible...I remember I tried to exchange the charger at VZW and they denied that they heard anything. :D
  6. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Usually high pitch noises in electronic devices are due to bad capacitors.
  7. Please refrain from posting misinformation. There is nothing wrong with the transformer creating a piezoelectric effect. It is very common and perfectly normal. There is also nothing wrong with these type of chargers making high pitched noise.
    Cowybuga likes this.
  8. Impossible for capacitors to make noise. Please refain from posting misinformation.
  9. Eshyn

Eshyn Well-Known Member

LOL

I made a thread for the same reason. Glad to know it's nothing to worry about.
  10. icedog

icedog Member

I just discovered the high pitch about 10 minutes ago. It's really loud and annoying!

To solve the issue, I just wrapped some jean pants around the adapter. Might help dampen the sound. We'll see.
  11. Eshyn

Eshyn Well-Known Member

Just to be safe, I wouldn't wrap anything around the charger while it is plugged in.
  12. bigvinny

bigvinny Well-Known Member

No noise in my end, whew~.
  13. Nytemare

Nytemare Member

I wouldn't put anything around the adapter while it's plugged in! My advise is to unplug the adapter, you should be able to charge via the USB cable itself plugged into a computer. Also, get that adapter replaced!

Just don't want your house or something to catch on fire :eek:.
  14. icedog

icedog Member

Apparently my sarcasm was lost there....
  15. Eshyn

Eshyn Well-Known Member

Yes, yes it was.
  16. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Y'might wanna do yerself some book learnin' and be googlin' that them term "capacitor whine."

Now the capacitor might not be the cause of it (the inductor coil is probably the culprit), the term "capacitor whine" is more common.
  17. Nytemare

Nytemare Member

Sorry lol, sarcasm is difficult to sense over the internet!
  18. Eshyn

Eshyn Well-Known Member

So in short, not exactly something that could prove catastrophic but should probably seek out a replacement anyway?
  19. Bond111

Bond111 Active Member

I noticed the whine too. I had it plugged in and was using it to test something while on the phone with verizon. It's pretty loud in your ear. Didn't notice it a whole lot away from the ear, but was still talking to verizon on another phone.
  20. ellissong

ellissong Member

Haha. Well I did wrap it around some b-ball shorts that first night, cause i would've gone crazy having to listen to that while i tried to sleep. Seems to only happen once the battery is fully charged.

I also went into the store to get it replaced, but they didn't have any today. Guess I gotta wait a bit before they get some in.

Thanks for the help though guys. Glad I'm not the only who's experienced it too. Now I have to figure out how to not drain the battery so damn fast :(
  21. darbaugh

darbaugh Member

hey, my charger is doing the same thing. the high pitched noise is so awful, i can't even sit in a room with it on as i get a splitting headache shortly after
  22. CheezWiz

CheezWiz Well-Known Member

SInce you are being a jerk I will call you out on that Capacitors can certainly make high pitched noises! They are part of the filter circuit. I have seen many a bad capacitors make high-pitched squealing noises.

Now YOU SIR/MADAM please stop posting false and misleading information.

If my charger made that kind of noise, I would return it ASAP!

If this is not a failing / inferior part, it is certainly an inferior design.
    Demand satisfaction.
  23. GAUG3

GAUG3 Well-Known Member

Last night I was awakend to this sound. I guess I should return it and get a new one.
  24. CheezWiz

CheezWiz Well-Known Member

Mine makes ZERO noise. For it to make noise is NOT normal... Personal electronics like this should not cause the user discomfort to operate.
  25. GAUG3

GAUG3 Well-Known Member

It's the charger that is making the noise. It did it again last night. I noticed it starts when the phone is fully charged.