• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery discussions, maintaining battery life

What kind/brand battery pack do any one here suggest or have used yet? I have a weak signal at work and dont have the ability to charge my phone there. Right now I have the EVO 3D and my battery goes from fully charged at the start of my shift to under 20% by the time my seventh hour of work comes around. And this is all with very minimal usage. So I have an extra battery that I swap out but I would like to get some sort of back up since swapping out will be a thing of the past for me with this new phone.

I haven't used any of these, but I figured I'd provide some links so you'd get an idea of whats being discussed.

Digipower JS2-PCAM Battery Pack External battery pack + power adapter - 2200 mAh

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8xP9eowDIjfu63xrA&sig2=wFmNRo0GsU12RqvKOOR6qQ

You would charge these units say overnight, then take it with you. When your phone gets low, you plug it in, it charges. Pretty straight forward. :)

Reactions: isaemm
Upvote 0
My battery was horrible today, I had really bad signal, about 25% without service. That just killed me. When I got home, I charged her up, then turned on WiFi just to see how it would do battery wise on that. I was shocked when I saw I was at 50%! WTH is going on!! Got to poking around, Dropbox was the culprit.
For some reason my photos were loading from my phone to my dropbox storage. They had been doing so for almost 2 hours. Apparently when I activated dropbox to get the additional storage, I inadvertently set the thing to automatically upload my photos over Wifi only. Nice.

Yesterday I had about 24 hours with over 3hours of screen on time. Granted, It was not used overnight while I was sleeping. So that 6-8 hours doesn't count. :)

Compared to the OG, this plays nicely with the battery. The 3vo was a bit better, but not this good, IMO. ;)

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
I haven't used any of these, but I figured I'd provide some links so you'd get an idea of whats being discussed.

Digipower JS2-PCAM Battery Pack External battery pack + power adapter - 2200 mAh

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8xP9eowDIjfu63xrA&sig2=wFmNRo0GsU12RqvKOOR6qQ

You would charge these units say overnight, then take it with you. When your phone gets low, you plug it in, it charges. Pretty straight forward. :)

Any one have any experience with these or any others? Good or bad reviews are welcome....

Upvote 0
Anyone else's phone get warm?

Sometimes it is, sometimes not when using normally.

Very warm when using media link HD.

Unsure if its the battery, but thought I would ask here.

The only time I noticed it get warm was at work... I was browsing the Internet for a half hour straight on my break... The shop I work in is hot.. And the signal is horrible.. So that's probably why.... I spoke with my dad for about an hour and a half this afternoon and I didn't notice a temp change in the phone at all... Also when it did get warm it was up top near the camera.... Not near the battery

Upvote 0
That's opposite my battery experience so I would try the reset or check what apps you have running.

I am running 2 email accounts with push email, a third checking every 5 minutes peak hours and also running Tango, Skype, GV , Weatherbug and EVA the Siri clone in wake mode so I know mine will run down everyday but I know what would be doing it and it still does not run down near as fast as yours.

Upvote 0
That's opposite my battery experience so I would try the reset or check what apps you have running.

I am running 2 email accounts with push email, a third checking every 5 minutes peak hours and also running Tango, Skype, GV , Weatherbug and EVA the Siri clone in wake mode so I know mine will run down everyday but I know what would be doing it and it still does not run down near as fast as yours.

I don't have many apps installed, and I have been closing the ones I don't want open. Is it possible that Android assistant is causing a problem? I guess its a task killer of sorts.....I don't use it so I am going to uninstall it.

Upvote 0
Try clearing your browser history. Worked for me the other day when it started to bog down.

The second day mine was in airplane mode for 2 hours and it still needed a charge on the ride home. Today so far 3 hours with all the radios on it just got down to 90%.

Cleared browser history.... I'm not sure what that does, but I did it. :D

I hope I am having a Sprint issue....not an LTevo issue.

Upvote 0
Mine is working flawless , however my wife has a new sprint galaxy nexus and she likes to play those scramble free zenga made games i dont know if you have those on your phone but I have seen them lock up frequently and her phone gets really hot so I look at them through system monitor and can see that there is an issue . its an easy thing to overlook , a lot of people have faith in apps working properly and blame the phone itself. and the zenga apps seem to want to use a lot of battery even normally.

I don't play too many games, nor have many installed......just angry birds. I mostly listen to music, text, browse and make phone calls. I use my quickbooks app to send out bills and estimates. In reality.....the phone is more than I need ..... but I love to have the newest Android phone..... so many apple fans around me flip when they see what can be done when they are not tied down by crapple. Expandable memory, doubletwist for music, movies and music in the play store......the list goes on and on.....

Upvote 0
My battery usually doesn't last at all at work for 8 hours. I usually leave home with it full it's on the dock till I get to work. My signal at work stinks but we do have wifi I connect too as soon as I get there. I don't do much while working but check text and emails every so often and FB but on dinner break I play my games surf the web do facebook. Yesterday I did an hour or two of Google Play Music. But to come home and it go to 14% after I've been home is like great for me. I always had to charge my 3VO at work at some point it would start to die quick.

Now I have auto sync off. I want to test it with auto sync on one day. But for now I just open my emails and they refresh and gmail has a refresh at the bottom. But I am pleased with the battery so far. But you people getting good battery life is your auto syn on or off. My 3VO I had so many apps and I couldn't update anymore my sense was rebooting. I don't want to put all the same apps on this phone. I had to many I never used.Well I used a screen brightness app where you could pic the percentage. I know have the space and could get it again but I saw where there's was a brightness widget you have Low med and hi I guess. I was fine with it low and then I put it to medium. Is it better to have one where you can actually pick like 50% or what you want. I also keep clicking on HTC hub and can't seem to get it to connect to HTC servers. I was going to get the battery widget and for now I keep going to settings and power and checking there. What's using the most on my phone is the screen of course. I had a couple battery apps for my old phones circular and one from the market which I forgot what it one. I know they all do the same but I would like just one good one and not sure which one to get. I think Circular was from XDA and the APK may be in Astro somewhere. I took my old SD Card and just copied to my desktop cause I had pictures and ringtones and stuff I knew I needed.

I have been on wifi and it fluctuates. When I posted earlier, was warm and only was doing what I am doing now.. Texting and phandroid app.. And right now, its cool.

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
I decided to run a test to really see how much battery was consumed using the CDMA network vs. the CDME+LTE network (No LTE in my area) using the battery consumption chart (using the line chart to show the degree of consumption on CDMA and the change in degree using CDMA+LTE).

For my test I let it run for 24hours on CDMA without messing with my phone, then I changed over to CDMA+LTE. I went back to check after an additional 15 hours today (1day 15hrs total run time on battery only) and here's my result.... I forgot to turn off wifi:tomato:it's been connected to my home wifi network this entire time so there was no difference in the power consumption. :eek:

SO, I have changed my test to see the difference between running wifi normally and running it with the improved performance option. Both while the phone is sitting idle (even when the phone sleeps it is still holding and checking the wifi connection... assuming it operates like the OG). When I made the switch my phone was sitting at 1Day15hrs and at 53% battery (again, this is the phone sitting idle... mostly). I'll post my new wifi test results tonight or tomorrow morning.

Upvote 0
Question, does wifi disengage (while the phone sleeps) when the phone goes into battery-saving mode? I ask because my battery life simply tanked. It went from 53% to 7% within 8.5 hours (and absolutely no use!), but the wifi was disconnected when I picked it up, though it soon automatically reconnected with a full signal.

I'll post the screenshot later.

Upvote 0
The entire following graph (except for the one dip I specify) is my phone, with wifi connected and set to stay connected during sleep, and Bluetooth and GPS turned off.

Fyi, I know that the screenshot shows no wifi connection, but the battery saving feature apparently overrides the 'stay connected during sleep' option, and this pick was taken almost immediately after I woke it up.
ae61f83e-3326-0dbc.jpg

Section 1 is 24hrs on CDMA only (with wifi still running), then a dip where I played with my phone for a while. Section 2 is CDMA + LTE (forgot and left wifi running). Then section 3 is where I turned on "best wifi performance" in the wifi options.

As you can see, having the LTE radio option selected while on wifi does not have a negative impact on battery life (in fact, if anything it almost looks like section 2 might be more level than section 1).

However, section 3 is terrible. Turning on "best wifi performance" decreased the battery drain by nearly 600%! There was a decrease of about 0.8% per hour versus almost 5.5% per hour while sleep!

I don't know about you, but I can't fathom a situation where this would be beneficial. At first I thought "maybe during a wifi only download," but it seems that the battery might be dead before the download would finish.

Upvote 0
Thanks Cooper....I did both of those things this morning.....it seems that the internet is faster, but not like my mopho was. I am beginning to think this may be a Sprint related issue.
The thousands of people who come to Atlantic City for memorial weekend.. Which is right in my backyard are all heading him... And wow my data speeds have really shown improvement... Idk if you saw my previous post.... But this weekend my speeds have been slow.... And I mean slow.... But I was hoping it was a sprint issue and it was.... Apparently just too many people here for the weekend clogging the network.... I hope yours straightens out soon! But I think this is a good example that it's not always the phone... It could very well be on sprints end...

I got the best battery life out my ltevo to date today!... It's now 11:24 and the phone has been in use since 10am... I am a moderate user... Lots of txts... Few short calls... ALOT of Tapatalk.. Facebook.. Instsgeam.. Camera.. Etc... I'm now at 9%.... Just to clarify... With the 3vo I would regularly plug it in while at work around 5 and charge it for a quick hour and a half... Just so I can make it through the day.... Once again.... Very impressed.... And so are my friends!

Reactions: Rose4uKy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones