• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery drain is making me batty!

JaniceK

Jun 10, 2010
Since my phone is a year old, so is the battery. I have ordered a new one as I am convinced the ICS update did something to speed up the demise of my battery.
However I seem to remember reading that it was not necessary to "season" lithium batteries? But seems like I also read that lithium batteries should recharge about 400(?) times? If so, then I should expect to replace it about once a year?

Q: Have I added to my battery problems by charging it more than once daily? For instance, if in the car for very long, I often plug in the phone, but now am questioning the wisdom of continually "topping off" the battery charge? I welcome any thoughts...
:)

I even put GB back on the phone but that did not seem to correct the battery drain, so I let it update itself back to ICS again.

I don't have a good answer to your question as it is one I have often wondered myself. That being said, from what I have read and heard through various channels, charging the Li-Ion battery periodically isn't really bad for it. It does not have a "battery memory" like many of the older batteries did. FWIW, I DL'd the Battery Doctor app form the Play store, and it has seemed to help in keeping my battery running in top form.

Reactions: JaniceK
Upvote 0
That Battery Doctor is a great little app & it can even turn of the DATA services, which is the 3G? Didn't know I could do that! With light use, I have only used 20% in 6 1/2 hours so that is amazing.
Of course the downside is that I have to turn on 3G to have the Voicemail notify me, but until they get this battery mess fixed, this is a great app to help save the battery for phone calls that in an emergency could be crucial.
Thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0
Since my phone is a year old, so is the battery. I have ordered a new one as I am convinced the ICS update did something to speed up the demise of my battery.
However I seem to remember reading that it was not necessary to "season" lithium batteries? But seems like I also read that lithium batteries should recharge about 400(?) times? If so, then I should expect to replace it about once a year?

Q: Have I added to my battery problems by charging it more than once daily? For instance, if in the car for very long, I often plug in the phone, but now am questioning the wisdom of continually "topping off" the battery charge? I welcome any thoughts...
:)

I even put GB back on the phone but that did not seem to correct the battery drain, so I let it update itself back to ICS again.

Supposedly stock ICS has horrible battery issues.. If rooted, several of the ICS roms are alot better (Different Kernels and tweaks of course). If going back to GB fixed it then your battery shouldn't be bad for any reason. If you want ICS, I would suggest root, flash a different rom for the phone and go from there. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Have read on other forums that JD was not as good afternoon ICS?

I currently run Juice Defender on my ICS rom (Rooted of course) i have no issues. Have it set to turn Data off with screen off. All my syncs are controlled with it as well. I typically can get 1.5 hours screen on, be at about 50% or so battery (if not more) after 11 hours. (Screen settings are dim, no auto brightness) I'll get some screenshots to post here in a few. Again, I'm not running a Stock ICS Rom. Running one from XDA developed by _Dan with a different Kernel.

Currently seeing a bit better now, Updated kernel and rom. These were initial test done.

Attachments

• vajyry5y.jpg
    vajyry5y.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 63
  • agy5ahu8.jpg
    agy5ahu8.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: JaniceK
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones