• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery drained while Droid completely off

slider5634

Feb 25, 2010
Hello,
I've been a Moto Droid owner for about 2 1/2 months now. I've not had too many issues with the phone other than the occasional lockup -- requiring me to remove/reseat the battery. However, I had something quite unusual occur this morning.

Last night I got home and realized that I'd left my charging cable at work. I figured "no problem" and simply powered off the phone. And by "off" I mean completely off by holding the power button and selecting "power off".

When I powered it off last night the battery still had more than a 50% charge on it. I woke up this morning at attempted to power the phone back on and had no luck. I removed/reseated the battery just to see and still no luck. When I got to work, I made one last ditch effort and plugged the phone into the charger. It powered on immediately and when it got to the unlock screen, the phone indicated it had less than a 5% charge.

I'm kind of at a loss for how the battery could have possibly drained 50% when the phone was completely off. The best I can figure is that something hung during the shutdown process and the phone never actually powered off. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have any suggestions?

This is only the second time I've ever shut the phone off for any reason, so I'd really like to know if this is going to become a common occurance.

FYI,
I have the Droid power widget, weather channel widget, and pandora widget all running. I am certain that Pandora was not running at the time, however.

I should also mention, I did use the search function before posting. I didn't really see anything else relating specifically to my issue. If I missed a post, I apologize in advance.

That actually happened to me more or less except that my battery got drained from 100% to < 5% while charging.....

I think it's a battery problem maybe? It just happened like a couple hours ago so I wanna go to Verizon and ask them later today. I ended up changing where I plugged in my charger which made no sense because the one I used for it still works completely well for everything, just not the Droid apparently.

Upvote 0
My Droid sporadically drains the battery overnight when it is turned off. Last night, I specifically kiiled All tasks before I shut it off. When I shut it off, I had 70% battery life left. When I turned it on this morning, it drained to 5% battery.

This is clearly a problem with the phone. Does anyone know anything about this???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones