• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Help

MLXXV

Lurker
Nov 17, 2010
Hey guys I'm new to this forum and looking for some help/tips. I've had my Droid X since the release date and am very happy with it. However, as of late, I've noticed my battery life beginning to deteriorate. Typically, I fully charge my phone every morning and with heavy texting, moderate web browsing, and slight game playing, my battery gets down to about 10% by six every night. At first, I was using Advanced Task Killer, but then removed it when I updated to 2.2. I just reinstalled it because the battery has been so poor to see what, if any, change it would make.
Basically, I'm looking for help on how to improve my battery life. It seems like I have a million apps running in the background at all times even if I'm not using them (etc. CityID, BBC News, Music, Maps). Also, I'm interested in rooting but don't really know where to begin. I use my phone for e-mail, texting, calling, games, and web browsing and thats about it. Any tips or help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

What time do you take it off the charger? How many hours are you getting out of a charge? If you ever get your battery manager to open and show what's been using the battery the most, do all of those apps look familiar? You may have a rouge app that isn't shutting down right and is chewing up your battery without you realizing it. You could also install Traffic Stats if you don't have it already and see if there might be something using lots of data traffic, although that should also show under the battery manager usage too. And by the way, what kind of battery life were you getting before? All you've told us is what you are seeing now.

Upvote 0
Plus 1 on the live wallpaper.

Also Don't use ATK on 2.2. No real need and its just another running program.

meanwhile, I found an improvement when I started using Screebl. set the sensor targets and then set my screen off timing to 15s. and I gained probably 2-3 hours.

One other thing, have you let the phone kill the battery to the point where the phone shuts itself off? Do this and re-charge and it will re-calibrate your battery meter.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses I appreciate it. Basically the only new app I have got within the last week has been Angry Birds, but I haven't even played it that much yet. Every time I open up ATK or the Battery Manager, it shows I have a ton of programs running even though I haven't been using them. I've tried going into some apps and changing the settings about when and how often they update but that doesn't seem to be working.
Here's what my battery manager says is using my battery.
System- 25%
Display- 18%
Com.Motorola.Home- 14%
com.motorola.providers- 14%
Android OS- 11%
Motorola Services- 4%
Bootanimation- 4%
com.android.phone 2%
Cell standby- 2%
Lookout- 2%
com.google.process.gapps- 2%
Any idea what my issue might be?

Upvote 0
No, I don't use a live wallpaper or ATK. The phone died again today after about 12 hours. I just plugged it in to charge overnight so I'll see if that makes a difference. The only thing I noticed to day was the battery status had a "phone idle" bar which I thought was kind of weird. Other than that there wasn't much else running. I have wifi and bluetooth off.

Upvote 0
I'd clear my cache, set battery mode to battery saving mode and see if that makes a difference.

To clear you cache:

Shut off your phone.
Holding the "home" button down, turn on your phone. You can let go of the home button when you see the green android.
Press the search button to display your options.

Use the volume up/down buttons to navigate the menu and the camera button for an "OK" button.
Select wipe cache partition and press the camera button, then choose reboot.

Factory reset restores your phone to like new, with no apps. It might be indicated here, but you'd want to prepare for that first. Clearing the cache is safer and easier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones