• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery life and battery management

Pull down your notification bar from the top of your screen, then select quick settings. All of the different radios will appear (3G = mobile network, 4G, bluetooth, WiFi, Hotspot, etc). Make sure the 3G/mobile network box isn't selected with a green check mark.

Yes, you can still make calls and receive text messages without 3G, 4G, or WiFi on. But if you want to download voicemail to your phone you will need to have one of those radio selected meaning turned on by using the quick settings tab in your notification bar.

If you have a weather app that's allowed to update every hour and it pulls a lot of data its going to consume a lot of battery power. Especially if you are in a poor 3G or 4G area. If you are near WiFi, use WiFi whenever possible.

I would have to disagree with the live wallpaper analogy. I run a live wallpaper and I think it doesn't affect battery life with the EVO 3D. As I stated before, I go under Menu - Settings - Power - deselect the box titled power efficiency. My battery idles better since I'm in a some what bad coverage area in my hotel. I think I do a better job than the phone of managing the "device network" than that power saver setting. Can you guys deselect that box and see if your phones idle better too? Then again I leave all of my radios off.
Unless you're in an area with bad reception, I disagree that disabling mobile data/3G is the solution. For many of us, push e-mail is one of the luxuries that smartphones should be able to handle with aplomb.

Upvote 0
Unless you're in an area with bad reception, I disagree that disabling mobile data/3G is the solution. For many of us, push e-mail is one of the luxuries that smartphones should be able to handle with aplomb.
A VAST majority of people have WiFi where they work. Leaving 3G connected drains more battery period. Its a radio that transmits/receives data from a tower. Tower to radio = battery power drain. CDMA phones use more battery power than GSM as a result. CDMA always seeks out the best signal. If you let your phone idle with 3G off for 5 hours. Then leave 3G on for 5 hours you will see a difference in battery drain. This is a fact.

I think the reason behind nearly every work environment and home having access to internet is the reason behind Sprint offering such good deals. Most people use WiFi a lot because its faster than using 3G. I prefer to use WiFi over 3G unless I'm driving in my vehicle. If I'm at the store or eating out, most places have free WiFi you can connect to and use.

Upvote 0
Well me turning off 3G did wonders for my battery..i guess because i dont get great reception at my house, it was constantly draining battery..and when I turn wifi on, i still get all the notifications that i would have gotten had it been on the whole time, like when i turn wifi on i still get the FB notifications and emails and whatnot that were sent to me when wifi was off, so im happy :)

Upvote 0
Same for me I now leav e 3G/Mobile off whenever at work or home and use wifi. Only when driving in the car do I swap out and turn on 3G and turn off wifi. My battery last longer at work too. I don't get a good signal there. Someone mentioned that leaving GPS on doesn't drain the battery unless your using an app where you need GPS not sure if that's correct but I normally only turn on my GPS if using navigation or checking in with Foursquare. But I noticed one time I think my Foursquare updated and GPS wasn't on if I recall. But I also have the power efficiency thing unchecked also.

My friend had an extra red EVO battery and the Sprint store traded her out and gave her a new HTC 3D battery in exchange. I have 2 generic EVO/TP2 batteries and I wonder if they will trade one out for me but probably not since it isn't the original. People were selling back there EVO's I think and putting generic batteries in them. I sold mine back with the original. But I also ordered 3 generic ones for the 3D off ebay with a couple wall chargers. I don't think there as good as the regular but when out for the weekend and in a pinch with no charger they come in handy. But I would like to get another regular one from Sprint on trade in if they will do it with my generic ones.

Well me turning off 3G did wonders for my battery..i guess because i dont get great reception at my house, it was constantly draining battery..and when I turn wifi on, i still get all the notifications that i would have gotten had it been on the whole time, like when i turn wifi on i still get the FB notifications and emails and whatnot that were sent to me when wifi was off, so im happy :)

Upvote 0
To test the battery, now having the device for nearly two weeks, I decided to see how many movies I could watch.

Having a green light at 99%, I took the phone off the charger. The battery indicator in the notification bar was full, but System Panel said it was at 95% after having removed it.

I started the Green Hornet and watched it all the way through beginning to end. I checked System Panel and it said the battery was at 44%.

I have started watching Sherlock Holmes in 720p and will check the battery afterward, if it even lasts to the end. Hopefully since it is not in 3D it won't drain nearly as fast, but we'll see. Sherlock Holmes also takes up the entire screen, while the Green Hornet has the black boarders on the top and bottom.

Can anyone else do a similar test? Watch the Green Hornet and then watch another movie and see where the battery is at. It will be interesting to see the differences (hopefully not to different) in battery life doing similar tests. As a side note, GPS and 3G are both on, everything else is off. The device had been reset right before so there shouldn't be too many processes going on in the background.

I haven't had anything to complain about with the battery. Watching one movie on my EVO 4G (before I rooted) would drain the battery completely.

Upvote 0
@ Vanquished: The absence of 3D will draw less power -- i.e. AFAIK the parallax barrier is a separate LCD element, so when it's not active it draws less power (which is consistent with the Nintendo 3DS literature as well).

You know, it seems like someone should develop an app for battery testing -- have some basic app that runs through a bunch of routine scripts over and over again and times how long it runs until shut down. I can't believe there's nothing like this on the market yet (I've checked).

Reactions: Vanquished
Upvote 0
So, I got about 26 hours with my phone on WiFi and I played about 2 hours of Drag Racing :) So, screen on for 2 hours plus 2 hours of gaming...I'm happy.

I mentioned earlier in the thread...but there is an app called InterNETmittence that will automatically turn your data on and off every so many minutes so you still get your syncing but it's not constantly on. It's a good solution to those that don't want to manually manage their data connection.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mdk.internetmittence

Created by XDA member:
[APP] InterNETmittence - Save battery by scheduling your 3G connection - xda-developers

Upvote 0
@ Vanquished: The absence of 3D will draw less power -- i.e. AFAIK the parallax barrier is a separate LCD element, so when it's not active it draws less power (which is consistent with the Nintendo 3DS literature as well).

That makes sense, and I was assuming that would be the case, but it doesn't seem to use a signifcantly less amount.

I watched The Green Hornet 3D from the beginning at 0:00 through some of the credits at 1:52 and sucked up 51% of my battery.

Sherlock Holmes also started at 0:00 and went through some of the credits until 2:01. At 1:15 I got the 15% warning, which means it sucked up 29% of my battery. The remaining 46 minutes of the movie took up 13% of the battery in the power saving mode.

The 2D movie at 720p is using up 1% of the battery for every 2.6 minutes of footage; it averaged about 3.5 minutes /% when it went into the power saving mode at 15%. The 3D movie (not sure what resolution it was recorded at) is using 1% of the battery for every 2.2 minutes of footage.

Watching two high quality movies for almost 4 hours (3:53) on one charge (using 93% of the battery) seems reasonable for a phone such as this one. Normal use for most seems to last all day (phone calls, texting, browsing, etc.).

I'd still like to see what others are getting out of battery life while watching movies as well. I'm going to do some more tests with heavy use (3d recording, playing games, etc.) to see what I am able to squeeze out of it on one charge.

Upvote 0
I was told if you get great deal on a good product like a charger via eBay. The product did not meet the specifications of the manufacturer. So the chargers ate sold to a seller at a great price, which equals a win win situation for everyone except for the buyer from eBay.

I did testing with the "Elixir" application. Both wall socket adapters AND cords were flawed with the product I bought on ebay (see above).

Upon super further inspection, the input/output information print on the back of the wall socket part were askew. Also, the USB plug that goes into the socket part was "pressed" differently than my "real" OEM cord. I base that on different marks (manufacturing).

Now to get more confusing...

For my secondary wall outlet power source I am currently using my old HTC TP2 wall socket with a Kindle cord. That combo is showing comparable currents in comparison to my OEM that came with the phone.
I don't necessarily recommend that, because experience may vary, but it's working for me.

Moral of the story...Too good to be true...It is.

Upvote 0
You might give a market app called timeriffic a try. Not only can you customize auto on and off based on time of day and day of week, wifi, mobile data etc., it also controls your ringer and notification sounds.

It is free by the way.

Same for me I now leav e 3G/Mobile off whenever at work or home and use wifi. Only when driving in the car do I swap out and turn on 3G and turn off wifi. My battery last longer at work too. I don't get a good signal there. Someone mentioned that leaving GPS on doesn't drain the battery unless your using an app where you need GPS not sure if that's correct but I normally only turn on my GPS if using navigation or checking in with Foursquare. But I noticed one time I think my Foursquare updated and GPS wasn't on if I recall. But I also have the power efficiency thing unchecked also.

My friend had an extra red EVO battery and the Sprint store traded her out and gave her a new HTC 3D battery in exchange. I have 2 generic EVO/TP2 batteries and I wonder if they will trade one out for me but probably not since it isn't the original. People were selling back there EVO's I think and putting generic batteries in them. I sold mine back with the original. But I also ordered 3 generic ones for the 3D off ebay with a couple wall chargers. I don't think there as good as the regular but when out for the weekend and in a pinch with no charger they come in handy. But I would like to get another regular one from Sprint on trade in if they will do it with my generic ones.

Reactions: Rose4uKy
Upvote 0
I may try it! I usually remember to turn off 3G and wifi when needed but what I do forget the most is I silence my ringer during work and sometimes forget to turn the volume back up when I get off. I used to have shush ringer but when it turned it back on it wasn't loud enough. But I may have to give this a try. I just am off sometimes during the week and every other weekend so I would have to remember to change my settings. I think it might be easier just for me to turn on and off when I need it but I'll see. Thanks!

You might give a market app called timeriffic a try. Not only can you customize auto on and off based on time of day and day of week, wifi, mobile data etc., it also controls your ringer and notification sounds.

It is free by the way.

Upvote 0
I hate not being able to do screenshots without all that adb ish.

Anyway right now i've been off the charger for 6h 14m 57s and my battery is at 90%. Now ill be the first to say that I havent used the phone a whole lot being that im at work. About a 10 minute phone calls, 10-15 texts on the GV app, 4 regular texts. Using the juice plotter thing on custom with gmail, issimo, gtalk, facebook and weatherbug plus being able to sync with the screen off.

Even though I havent used it much there is NO way my Evo 4G would've still had anywhere near this much battery left even using one of the SBC kernels. If this thing ever gets S-Off with AOSP roms the battery is going to be crazy. I have no doubt that at the rate im going i'd make it a whole day easily. And its crazy because i'm never the one to make the outrageous battery claims.

Upvote 0
Being this is my 2nd 3D (green tint issue on camera) i never had battery issues until this morning, I took her off the charger to see 99% ... I than recharged her to see a green light at 97% very strange (was also using Friend stream on the lock screen for the first time while charging still weird)!!!

I than pulled the battery for 10secs or so (phone on) and rebooted, battery % was now showing 99% so i threw her back on the charger for what seemed like 40 minutes or so and it finally went green light at 100% - I know for a fact with my first 3D charging at 99% can take up to an hour or so before going green to 100% some people may want to be patient before thinking they have a problem -

Ironically within 20 mins or so of web usage, photo taking, friend stream etc. it went back to 99% but stayed there for 2-3 hrs before hitting 98% (i thought the battery was broken at one point it lasted so long) - I am using battery indicator from the market to monitor - its now another 2-3 hrs since 98% and i am still on 94% which is great!!!

I have everything at lowest settings, no animations, etc. I think if it stays like this i will be able to say this is one hell of a battery compared to the 4G, hopefully its not a fluke as last night it drained just like the 4g by 9pm was below 10%

Upvote 0
seidioonline.com

Second picture from the right. Makes the Evo look like a jet ski...or pregnant. I'm not sure which.
or a sun dolphin jon boat
sun-dolphin-jon-boat.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones