• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery life suddenly went to crap

So I bought the Z3 at T-mobile, maybe a couple of days after it came out. As you know, one of the standout features of this phone is supposed to be killer battery life, which I was getting for maybe the first two months of ownership. Well maybe 4 or 5 days ago my battery life which would get me through an entire day regardless of amount of use suddenly went to crap. I leave the phone charging over night, and my phone battery is dying after only 5 hours of very moderate use. I decided to check the app power consumption and restrict apps running in the background, still no improvement. So I got the battery drain analyzer app to try to figure out what is going on. I noticed today that my phone was running very hot. When in standby, the battery was discharging at 17-24% per hour. It can't tell me any app usage info, and says battery status is good, but confirmed that my battery would die within 5 hours. I've plugged it into my work computer's usb port to prevent it from dying, but the usb port is charging the phone at a rate of -1% an hour! As recently as last week I could surf internet for hours, watch videos online and still make it for 10 plus hours without a charge. Now, I can't even make it a half day. So did I get a lemon? Anyone here that can shed light on my situation?

Hello Cyde01, I kind of have the same problem.

I bought an Xperia Z3 (D6653) in 1,5 months ago in Amazon. The phone was working just fine until last week. From the beginning, I had an estimate of 2 days battery (without stamina mode) from the Power Management screen. Since I noticed my battery was running out faster, even with stamina mode on, I checked again the Power Management screen with my battery fully charged and I have now an estimate of 23 to 24 hours battery. Without stamina mode it drops to 5 to 6 hours, CRAZYYYY!! I compared my phone with my friends phone (that has the same model and bought at same time), he still have an estimate of 2 days battery and also, he have more apps running and more screen light on (time and brightness) and still have much more time battery than me. My cellphone is not getting hot...just if I use it a lot. But the battery is crazy for sure.

Does anyone knows anything about this? or any solution?

I am really worried since I got this product from Amazon without warranty. The product is new.

One more detail: I am using Sony dock station (original) for Z3 to charge it.

Thanks,

Regards

Fred

Upvote 0
So after some more digging this is what i found. Under settings->power management->battery usage, it lists what apps are currently draining the battery the most. Messanger was by far using the most battery at 48%, more than even the screen! I use an app called go sms as my default text app, so i went ahead and restricted the messanger app. Presto, problem solved. No overheating, battery discharge rate is down to -1% on standby, no overheating issues. I'm glad that i was able to solve my problem but bewildered that the kitkat default sms app would one day out of the blue start wigging out on me and consume massive amounts of power even on standby. Fred i would definitely check settings->power management->battery usage to see what app or process is consuming the most battery power.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones