Battery life terrible after root

Last Updated:

1. ff4930

ff4930 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I just rooted my 2.2 phone with S_OFF and flashed it with virtuous 2.7 rom. Ever since my battery life is terrible, I have removed all the bloatware, and do not have any extra apps. This is the most trimmed down phone. I was at 100% and all I did was go to a website (yahoo.com) and within 10 secs, my battery is down to 96%. 4% drainage within 20 seconds! That is awful.
    Is there any advice? I tried wiping stats, bump charging. I do not have gps/bluetooth/wifi or anything that is soaking up the resources running.

Advertisement
  2. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Here is what you can expect: When actively using your phone, especially when websurfing and especially when your charge is high like in the 90%s, your battery will deplete rather quickly. If you don't have an app sucking your battery badly then when your screen is off your battery depletion should slow to something between no depletion and a crawl. This has been my experience anyway, and I believe the experience of many others from what I have followed.

P.S. I would recommend a full cycle or two through the battery on any kernel before coming to any conclusions about it.

3. icrazy2u

icrazy2u Well-Known Member

This worked for me. Virtuous Rom + Custom Kernel from Rom Manager + SetCPU with screen off profile... i've been sitting on 70% for a while. I say 70% because I haven't charged after I switched kernels and reinstalled SetCPU. I also have the INCredible Theme if that helps since its a dark theme. Theres also some setting for SetCPU somewhere on this forum that I will try. 20+ hours.

4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

+1 and especially after wiping battery stats. I regularly seem to have better results on the 2nd charge cycle when messing w/ stats.

5. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

+2 wipe your battery stats in recovery and give it 2 charge cycles. This made a huge difference for me on more than one occasion ;)

6. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Have you bump charged before?

7. kdwg927

kdwg927 Member

Hi guys, new to rooting --

How do you wipe the battery stats?

Much Thanks!

8. dscribe

Go into custom recovery (clockwork) there is a menu item in there somewhere for it.

9. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Wipe batt stats is under "advanced" in the main clockworkmod recovery screen. ;)

There are all kinds of opinions on when this should be done. I have always had the best success when I do it immediately following a full charge with phone powered OFF including a bump charge as well. Boot into recovery and wipe battery stats.

You will not get a confirmation that it completed, but that's OK it works

10. vandeec5

vandeec5 Well-Known Member

Do you wait for your phone to fully charge and then do battery stats wipe?

Just curious, what exactly does a battery wipe do? Just it reset the status on how long the phone been up and running?

11. dscribe

Yes. charge phone to full. Then turn off phone and charge it back to green again. Then boot into clockwork and wipe the stats.

The stats are information about your phone, battery, and use that are used to give information to the OS about the current battery percentage.

I would also run the battery through a couple of cycles after wiping stats before making any judgement about current battery life performance.

12. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

From what I understand it re-calibrates the phones ability to know when to stop charging/start charging and give you a more accurate readout (on the battery icon) on it's discharge status. Does this really work or is this the correct explanation? IDK :D it seems to work for me and I do it after toying around with different ROMs.

What I've noticed after a wipe battery stats is that the battery discharge is more even across the board instead of random rapid decreases then a hanging at a certain percentage. ymmv

13. vandeec5

vandeec5 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I will try the battery wipe. When I was using the Frankenrom Senseless, I was getting about 25hrs of battery life but since I switched to Skyraider, I have only been getting abour 11 hrs. Hopefully this will fix it.

14. kdwg927

kdwg927 Member

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a go!

15. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

Would you run it to completely dead when doing this, or to yellow, or to red?