• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Usage is always Display :(

Unplugged my phone at 830am %100 Its now 3pm. Havent used it too much and at %58. Display is the highest at 62%. I have my display set to automatic. I have tried using the dim setting but it's too dark to see. The next major user is cell standby at 9%. I have no live wallpaper going just a regular picture.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I am using set cpu and such but it really seems as if my screen is the hog.

with the Desire ROM - this is now a normal day's usage... see Display way down at the bottom... only 6%...

4474191510_289efb1bd7.jpg

there's a huge disparity between how the Desire (and even Droid) ROMs and the Nexus ROM in how they report display % usage... something is not right... one of the ROMs is not reporting correctly...

that... OR... the Desire ROM has a different brightness algorithm... i've noticed that it seems less bright for a given %, comparing when I had the stock Nexus ROM and after installing the Desire ROM... could be placebo... just wondering if the Desire ROM might have slightly better power management features built-in.... since HTC is the hardware maker, they might have little tricks up their sleeve that they didn't quite tell Google... ;)

I also noticed that WiFi reported % is quite different also... the Desire ROM seems to report higher WiFi usage % than the Nexus ROM ever did, despite same usage (when I'm at work, pretty much the same usage pattern day in day out...)

Reactions: ludwig
Upvote 0
I just wrote in another thread that i turned off live wallpapers today to see what effect it would have on my phone and in my case it appears to be my battery hog. I havent charged my phone since before i left for work over 10 hours ago and im still over 90% battery. Thats with minamal usage but still ive never had the battery still be that good this long after its off the charger. Battery usage shows display down to 23% as opposed to 73% earlier today.

Upvote 0
Unplugged my phone at 830am %100 Its now 3pm. Havent used it too much and at %58. Display is the highest at 62%. I have my display set to automatic. I have tried using the dim setting but it's too dark to see. The next major user is cell standby at 9%. I have no live wallpaper going just a regular picture.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I am using set cpu and such but it really seems as if my screen is the hog.

use a black or dark wallpaper that will reduce your battery drain on OLED

Upvote 0
@mi_canuck
I wouldn't worry too much about your wifi taking up a higher percentage of your battery. The program tells you what percentage of the battery used so far a program has taken up and not the percentage used of the total charge the battery could hold. Therefor, when one thing doesn't take up as much of a percentage, others will go up higher even though it is using the same amount of power from the battery. Also, if one thing is taking up less power, than the battery should last longer, and other things will use more juice of the battery since they are operating longer. Sorry if that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I swear it does in my head, haha.

Upvote 0
Whats being reported and whats actually being used are two different things. The disparity between the desire reporting and N1 for the display is well known but the N1 is not using more power. Nor is it using less when you load the desire rom on it. Its just a software glitch. Its the same samsung screen drawing the same power and primarily the only things affecting its power usage is how long it is on, what it is displaying (darker=less juice), and the screen brightness.

Upvote 0
Whats being reported and whats actually being used are two different things. The disparity between the desire reporting and N1 for the display is well known but the N1 is not using more power. Nor is it using less when you load the desire rom on it. Its just a software glitch. Its the same samsung screen drawing the same power and primarily the only things affecting its power usage is how long it is on, what it is displaying (darker=less juice), and the screen brightness.

Well...I want something that's accurate! lol...I wonder which one is telling the truth then. Is there some 3rd party apps that gives you battery details like the stock one? I want to do a comparison.

Upvote 0
I dont get your problem :) When I'm not playing with my phone (just music) screen is almost on the bottom of the list. Anyway It can be even 99% for me unless it still will perform that well (2 days of normal medium-intensive usage with wi-fi and sync almost all day sounds good enough for me).
If this graph isn't caurate... well... I won't change brightness stetting anyway so it doesn't make difference what does it says.

Upvote 0
I dont get your problem :) When I'm not playing with my phone (just music) screen is almost on the bottom of the list. Anyway It can be even 99% for me unless it still will perform that well (2 days of normal medium-intensive usage with wi-fi and sync almost all day sounds good enough for me).
If this graph isn't caurate... well... I won't change brightness stetting anyway so it doesn't make difference what does it says.

Well if a program is giving me the statistics of my battery usage, I'd imagine that it'd be accurate else it's kind of useless to me IMO. And I'm slowly drawing a conclusion that the battery use setting is quite inaccurate. I've been listening to my music for a good 6 hours (not streaming) but it's telling me that the media player has only been in used for 40 minutes and it's only using 11% of battery, while an hour of actively on the phone uses 34% of the display :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones