• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Majora_Luna

Jan 16, 2013
Can I use any charger with my phone? What i mean is, i bought a generic car charger and it doesn't seem to charge my phone all the way. the battery also gets kinda warm.

Specifically though, CAN I? like okay the battery is 3.7V but chargers (and USB ports) all seem to run at 5V. So could I use a 5V charger of any kind even if it could draw a bajillion amps?

The battery meter on my phone also *****es out when I use the car charger and doesn't charge more than a few percent at a time when I use the car charger.

Can I use any charger with my phone? What i mean is, i bought a generic car charger and it doesn't seem to charge my phone all the way. the battery also gets kinda warm.

Specifically though, CAN I? like okay the battery is 3.7V but chargers (and USB ports) all seem to run at 5V. So could I use a 5V charger of any kind even if it could draw a bajillion amps?

The battery meter on my phone also *****es out when I use the car charger and doesn't charge more than a few percent at a time when I use the car charger.

Hello Majora Luna.

I do have to say that we see a lot of posted issues that end up being traceable to non-OEM battery chargers/cables and even supposedly "major brand" batteries out there.

I advise all to use the equipment that comes with the device, and if something needs replacement, replace it with the item from the manufacturer of the device.

I get a bit of grief from some for sticking to that.."I never had a problem with (fill in the blank).." etc.. :D

Besides, battery charging is a function of the device and the battery's own circuitry now days, whereas in the past it was just the voltage being thrown into the battery from the source. The battery and device must calibrate to one another over time from near-complete discharge to full charge so that the meter can be accurate. That happens more reliably with OEM stuff all the way around. ;)

Reactions: Majora_Luna
Upvote 0
Does everything work OK with your wall charger?

As stated above, it is the phone and battery that control the charging rate and when it starts and stops charging.

How old is your battery. As the battery gets older it will not charge as well as it did before. They are only good for so many charge cycles.

Any USB power source should be OK.

Phones can get very warm just from charging, or talking on them.

It is also posable you have a defective charger that is putting out low voltage.

Reactions: Majora_Luna
Upvote 0
Does everything work OK with your wall charger?

As stated above, it is the phone and battery that control the charging rate and when it starts and stops charging.

How old is your battery. As the battery gets older it will not charge as well as it did before. They are only good for so many charge cycles.

Any USB power source should be OK.

Phones can get very warm just from charging, or talking on them.

It is also posable you have a defective charger that is putting out low voltage.

Try wiping batt stats in cwm
Full batt then wipe
Then drain compleatly
Then charge compleatly

Upvote 0
Actually, it's recommended that you drain the battery completely and charge it all the way up at least once a month. I always wipe my battery stats in CWM too.

If you've gone through and checked to make sure you don't have any rogue apps pulling power and you're still having terrible battery life after doing what has been recommended in here, you probably have a bad battery. Replacements are cheap on Ebay or Amazon.

Upvote 0
Wiping battery stats DOES NOT improve battery life
http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...-battery-stats-does-not-improve-battery-life/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2170039

https://plus.google.com/105051985738280261832/posts/FV3LVtdVxPT

http://www.linuxine.com/story/wipin...tery-calibration-myth-gets-debunked-must-read

smiley_emoticon_wink_sticker-rd2abadd998df4ba0be8ec94d63ca53da_v9waf_8byvr_512.jpg

Upvote 0

Yeah Yeah yeah. LOL...... I said I did it, I didn't say it did any good. It's my placebo effect and i'm sticking to it! lmao :p:rofl::rofl::D

Oh, did i mention that I have 6 batteries too? :dontknow::ridinghorse:

Upvote 0
Yeah Yeah yeah. LOL...... I said I did it, I didn't say it did any good. It's my placebo effect and i'm sticking to it! lmao :p:rofl::rofl::D

Oh, did i mention that I have 6 batteries too? :dontknow::ridinghorse:

"They cant put anything on the internet that isint true. Meet my boyfreind hes a french modle. Bojornio"

I know its xda and for that ill give cred where cred is due.

But xda also says task killers are pointless, however for the low ram device were discussing, I have found that task killers are a good thing as long ad u dont tarket vackground runners like maps that WILL reboot, but instead things like dolphin browser incase you dont exit the app when done dose have a leget use.

That being said, wiping batt stats got rid of a battery error message I was geting on precedent.

Batt is still going bad, but I dont need to be told every 20 mins. Once is enuff. So there is one good use right there, theirfore not pointless.

Thankyou for the links.

Upvote 0
"They cant put anything on the internet that isint true. Meet my boyfreind hes a french modle. Bojornio"

I know its xda and for that ill give cred where cred is due.

But xda also says task killers are pointless, however for the low ram device were discussing, I have found that task killers are a good thing as long ad u dont tarket vackground runners like maps that WILL reboot, but instead things like dolphin browser incase you dont exit the app when done dose have a leget use.

That being said, wiping batt stats got rid of a battery error message I was geting on precedent.

Batt is still going bad, but I dont need to be told every 20 mins. Once is enuff. So there is one good use right there, theirfore not pointless.

Thankyou for the links.

Actually if you read the links the person who WROTE THE CODE for batterystats.bin says specifically that it had no impact on the battery reading in any way shape or form. The ONLY thing that file does is show you what apps are responsible for drain. NOTHING more ;)

She also notes that once the battery is relatively full, the file is automatically deleted when the phone is unplugged.

Try reading the g+ link

Upvote 0
Actually if you read the links the person who WROTE THE CODE for batterystats.bin says specifically that it had no impact on the battery reading in any way shape or form. The ONLY thing that file does is show you what apps are responsible for drain. NOTHING more ;)

She also notes that once the battery is relatively full, the file is automatically deleted when the phone is unplugged.

Try reading the g+ link

That may be so
All im saying is I had that issue
I did that
I quit getting notified of issue

So in pracrice I know it worked, because it cant very well be somthing that I did not do right?

Any ideas on another mysterious fix that could have caused this problem to fix itself?

[Im not saying your wrong, im not sayint the op of ypur links is wrong, im just stating that I have personaly seen that happen as well]

Upvote 0
According to the Google engineer, it had to be something else. She states that said file automatically deletes itself when the battery is charged and removed from the charger. So every time the battery was charged, the file got deleted. So I fail to see how manually deleting a file containing only statistics solved your problem.
But either way, if it 'worked' for you then good. Your problem was solved :D

Upvote 0
According to the Google engineer, it had to be something else. She states that said file automatically deletes itself when the battery is charged and removed from the charger. So every time the battery was charged, the file got deleted. So I fail to see how manually deleting a file containing only statistics solved your problem.
But either way, if it 'worked' for you then good. Your problem was solved :D

Yea im just wondering what it was now?

Upvote 0
hi. I used a different charger and began having all sorts of battery issues & error messages lime." cannot charge on an incompatible charger/ battery" or
something like that. After reading these forums I have determined several things, there ARE different wattage chargers & usb cords(?) Using a wrong one for your particular phone can reak havoc. Also, from personal experience, I know that the phonez charging port IS NOT THE STURDIEST PARTOF THE PREVAIL. Use TLC with it!!! Also clean battery terminals and having a tight fitti.g battery helps. And if all else fails, reboot with charger plugged IN seems to aleviate many battery/ charger error messages. it worked with mine .thanks

Upvote 0
Have you tried Easy Task Killer? I installed it from Dolphin Browser.
The UI seems a little heavy in colour. What do you think??

Task killers are a horrable idea. For the most part.

Make sure u uncheck any app that reboots as rebooting uses more power.

Secondly use titanium to freeze any app like this u dont want to use.

Thirdly, underclock your cpu

Problem solved

Upvote 0
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever completely discharge your battery.

I still don't know why that advice still persists. It hasn't been helpful since nickel cadmium batteries, which haven't been in use for over a decade.

Lithium ion batteries can be rendered completely useless if you let it discharge all the way out. Lithium ion batteries also have no memory effect so charge patterns make no difference.

Ask Ars: What is the best way to use a Li-ion battery? | Ars Technica

And many other links if you want to search for them.

Upvote 0
I've discharged mine to the point where the phone shuts down on many occasions with 3 phones and it has never caused any problems. As a matter of fact, I still have the original batteries for my Marquee and Prevail. Both are several yrs old and still hold a great charge. I haven't had any issues with the HTC One SV either. :D

Upvote 0
I've discharged mine to the point where the phone shuts down on many occasions with 3 phones and it has never caused any problems. As a matter of fact, I still have the original batteries for my Marquee and Prevail. Both are several yrs old and still hold a great charge. I haven't had any issues with the HTC One SV either. :D

It's possible to not have any problems because your phone will shut down to protect the battery before it is truly totally discharged, but you're still playing with fire especially if you don't plug it in soon to charge.

Upvote 0
It's possible to not have any problems because your phone will shut down to protect the battery before it is truly totally discharged, but you're still playing with fire especially if you don't plug it in soon to charge.

To each their own. I am using what works for me.

I allow my batteries to discharge to the point of shutdown at least several times a month on purpose, then put a full charge on them. The batteries always end up lasting longer. That's a fact and I've been doing it for years. :D

Also, do you know how many of those articles are out there on the proper way to take care of and charge a battery? Many. I guess it's up to the individual on which one they want to follow. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones