• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Applications, Games, Widgets and MORE!

3 - I think its actually called Cubed. But its a great music app. Can use a widget, displays album art. If opened, it has a very nice graphical interface. I believe it is still in beta but I have no doubt that it will be one of the better music players available. Search "rockon" but do not download "rockon", download "3". (Does not stream, plays music on SD).

thx so much, i've been looking for an alternate music player (it feels like i have tried them all) and cubed is by far the best looking and feature packed. love the lock screen button controls, highly recommended!

Upvote 0
Lots of apps I haven't tried yet. Will get try them all when I get home!

Here's my list (all free, unrooted Spica)

APPS
Aldiko - Best ebook reader. Clean looking, nice page transition, allows you to organize your books by author, slide up or down to change brightness setting, has day/night option etc.
Astrid - About the only todo app that I use because I'm too lazy to try other apps. It works for me
Launcher Pro - Very fast home replacement. Allows you to put your favorite shortcuts in the dock, has option to hide the notification bar, up to 7 screens, 2d or 3d app scrolling, plus some other great features that make UI navigation fun. Very snappy.
Camera 360 Free - Best on the fly camera effects. Love the LOMO effect.
Contacts GroupU - Allows you to create contact groups. Makes it easy for me to send mass SMS to my workmates and friends.
FolderOrganizer Lite - Change icons for free.
FreeDi Youtube Downloader - nuf said.
Jorte - Calendar app. Works better than stock calendar.
Overcharged - Notifies you when the phone is done charging. Can set it to persistently notify you until you unplug. Love this app because it prevents overcharging.
Wi-Fi Lock - Keeps wifi active even on standby mode.
Yebisu - Very simple music player that isn't ugly or convoluted.

Widgets
Binary Clock - I like this better than digital or the stock clock cos it's unique.
Mini Info Widget - Shows you available internal and external space plus battery left in one small space saving widget. The pictures aren't that great looking though.

Upvote 0
Tip Calc - Very cool tip calculator with ability to round up and split among friends.

For future reference let me give you some advice coming from a server -

Judge your tip based on service. If your service blows tip them by percentage - If your service is fantastic tip based on that. Too many times do I give absolutely fantastic service to receive an exact 12-15% tip. 15% on a $20 check is only $3 dollars - Definitely not worthy of a fantastic server.

I base that on the lower end of the spectrum because once you start getting to larger amounts (100+) almost everyone goes by the percentage.

This is a fantastic thread by the way :)

Upvote 0
Some apps that haven't already been mentioned:

Games
Pocket Empires: a little like Sim City, with a medieval theme; multiplayer. Amazing support by developers.
Hotel Mogul: also like Sim City with a free and paid version. Wonderful graphics.
Sketch Online Beta: like pictionary in a multiplayer online setting.
Gameboid/Gensoid: fantastic if you have ROMs you would like to play on your phone.

Other Stuff
Runstar: still in beta but great if you run a lot. Tracks miles, time, speed, average speed, and maps your route.
Up Sound Down: nifty little app that puts your phone on speaker when you turn it upside down or lay it down face-up. I use this every single day.

Upvote 0
Ethereal Dialpad - Its a very soothing application, beautiful music u can create! & free btw.

TV Guide - If you would like to know whats on tv, select your local tv provider (such as direct tv,dish,cox, and other local companys) just enter location by zip code.

Kitty Cannon Its a classic hit computer game, and very close to the original, great graphics. but its $6 but well worth it

Upvote 0
Flixster - Movie previews and showtimes

1337pwn - Shows your Xbox Live friends online status

Photobucket - Upload pics directly to your Photobucket account

Tesla LED - Best flashlight app. Fakes the camera into activating the LED's at full brightness. REALLY bright. With the widget you get one press on/off

On a side note, I'm having problems getting Swype to work. Keep getting "Trial period expired" no matter what I do. Any suggestions???

Upvote 0
-Some lesser known free apps (Droid 1 Froyo 2.2 stock un-rooted)

Gesture Search & Gesture Search Bar [get both apps]
(Swipe a letter for quick contact access, [long-press search button] by Google)

SunMoon
(Fast, accurate text Sunrise/set Moonrise/set & phase data)

Tide Predicton
(Fast - Major Deepwater Ports)

ZP Compass
(Very cool compass with sun/moon dial and monthly moon phase calendar)

GPS Status
(Best GPS Sat Status Map - Compass out there)

SportsTap
(Fast access to all sports scores and lines)

(Try this! [hard to find] - very cool 3d cube music player)
(-Look in market under ' music player ' and scroll way down)
(Nice album art updater built in also)

Memory Status
(Use the 1x1 widget to watch memory)

Date Status Bar
(Tiny Date always in Status Bar like: Mon 08/16 )

Hour Signal
(Hourly watch-like beep-beep reminder at the top of the hour)
(-A much louder one is the NHK Clock app)

Ethereal Dialpad
(Too much fun - Be sure to add the free Swarm, Night Sky & Gallery plug-ins)

Twilight Clock (1x4 widget calculates Sunrise/set time / how much daylight - night is left)
(Great for hiking/fishing/camping)

MoonPhase Widget (1x1 widget shows current moon phase now, tap for moon info)

Transparent Clock Widget (2x2 nice larger analog clock)

Micro Clock Widget (1x1 nice smaller analog clock, tap for alarms)

Blink (Works! Change your LED to different colors for SMS, MMS etc)

Missed Call (Missed call reminder, great!)

Multicon Widget (Squeeze 4 icons into space of one, excellent!)

Thunderstorm Live Wallpaper (Check it out, sweet!)

Upvote 0
My favorites!

1) CoPilot Live - Excellent interface, loads of settings, and puts the maps on your SD card so no data connection needed

2) CalendarPad - Excellent calendar until Pocket Informant is released.

3) GTasks - To do list that syncs with your google tasks

4) NoteEverything -

5) WeatherBug Elite - The paid-for-Elite version gets animated maps

6)Alarm Clock PlusV2 - Adds more options to the stock alarm clock...like a much needed gentle alarm that gradually increases volume

7) Missed Call - Does not change the track ball color on my Nexus One but it does add the ability to vibrate every 2 minutes on a missed call until I notice it. Lots of options for sms etc...where it does add color options for the trackball

8) Gmote - I can play all music/pictures/movies on my computer from my phone. I use it to control my computer pumping out music to my deck while grilling! I can also stream it right to my phone or control the computer like a ghost is moving the mouse around and typing stuff...awesome stuff!

9) Keeper - best password keeper anywhere

10) 3 - Cubed player is the best music player anywhere

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones