• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best way of backing up phone

I'd like to have a go at rooting my phone, but I'd like to get back all my settings and apps when I do.

The new recovery image that you'll have to flash to your handset will include an option to back-up (and restore) using Nandroid. If you make a backup using that as soon as the recovery image is replaced, prior to doing anything else, restoring that will return your handset to the exact state it was in (apart from the new recovery image obviously). It doesn't allow selective restoration though as it's more for 'disaster recovery'.

Once rooted, for day-to-day use I highly recommend Titanium Backup as it will restore both all your apps and their associated data/Market information.

Upvote 0
Slug, does Titanium backup also backup your contacts?

I don't do so (see below), but I think it might be possible by selecting "Contacts Storage" from the list of apps/processes.

If not whats the best way to back them up? Thanks....
Google, definitely. I love how seamless it is.... no intervention required.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones