Best way to use GV and Droid IMO

Last Updated:

1. jestexman

jestexman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After reading a lot about using GV and Droid I decide to write up something on it. First and for most if I get something wrong don

Advertisement
  2. DocEsp

DocEsp Active Member

I tried using the GV Dialer and found that it always calls out with the GV #. There are times I like to call with my real number and found no way to toggle this on and off. Unless there was something I didn't see/find. Other than that it looks good JB, very informative.

3. jestexman

You have to open the app and turn it off. They need to make a widget.

4. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. You can add a shortcut to your home screen that allows you to toggle google voice between 4 modes: always call using GV, never call using GV, only international calls with GV, or prompt every time.

5. jestexman

He is talking about the third party app GV Dialer. The dev needs to make a widget.

6. DocEsp

DocEsp Active Member

Cool, thanks for that tip. Agreed, a widget would be nice.

7. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

8. clintiepoo

clintiepoo Well-Known Member

I only use google voice for voicemail. I set up conditional call forwarding, it forwards all calls to my gv number instead of going to voicemail. They leave a message with gv, and I basically get free visual voicemail.

9. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

I can honestly say I have never come anywhere close to running out of minutes. I have the cheap plan too. As such, I've never cared to do this stuff. I love Google Voice though. Use it all the time.

10. DroidDukie

DroidDukie Member

Has anyone had issues with the outgoing GV # changing that would require continual reconfiguration of the 10 Friends of Family #'s?

AND... are the 10 FF numbers able to be changed at will? (To remove the old outgoing GV number and add the new)

11. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

The Friends & Family numbers can be changed at any time, but new additions don't take effect until the following day. If you look at your F&F numbers on the My Verizon site you'll see a status column. Active entries will show the date they became active, while numbers you add or change will show a status of pending until the following day.

This may have changed since I last updated my numbers, which was Nov 12, 2009.

12. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member

Same here, I can't believe I used to call a number and navigate a menu to check my voicemail!

13. messlah

messlah Member

if you set up GV to use your existing #, can you still do any of this?

14. jacwashere7

jacwashere7 Well-Known Member

How do you set up Google voice mail on your phone? I have the app and have an account but I cant figure out how to set up the voice mail, when it get to the provisioning code part it has me call a number but then I get a Verizon wireless error when I connect to that number

15. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member

16. gkny172

gkny172 Member

I use my own number on GV and I strictly us it to read voicemail through SMS. The problem is, when I receive the SMS the number of the person is listed but not the name of the person, however the name does show up in the email.. anyone know if this can be fixed?

17. reddan

reddan Member

Any advice on configuring google voice for free sms?

any way to integrate with handcent?

18. nateo200

nateo200 Well-Known Member

I have google voice and all but its not all that great. I never talk on the phone and I have unlimited texting so yeah. I'm dissapointed to be perfectly honest, it seams just not very cool after idk like 5 mins. And it not being VoIP really took my interest away further. If it was voip that'd be great for travel when I need to make a call just do it over wifi...also it never records my voice mail. What can I say cool idea but its implimented in a bad way probably because google is afraid of the big bad cell carriers which need to just turn into dumbpipes faster.

19. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

For Free? Well first log into GV from your phone,bookmark make shortcut . The GV page has option for call or sms. Choose sms to send free sms. To receive free responses. Go into settings and uncheck send me sms to my phone and check send sms to gmail. Now sms will go to gmail you will get an alert . That is all free.
    Handcent? No that costs.

20. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

If you only have 1 phone line, and you don't really get many calls.. then I can see how GV doesn't seem that interesting.

However, if you have a cell/landline/voip line and/or travel a lot.. that is when GV shines. You have 1 number to give people where they can reach you wherever you go. Talking to someone on your cell, yet are walking into your house? Just transfer it straight to your home line. Tired of getting unknown/blocked calls.. block them in GV.

There is so much to GV that makes it great you are not going to see the benefits if all you do is use it for free minutes on F&F. Personally I use it for no minutes on my phone, conditional call forwarding, and a free Voip line in my home via GV/Gizmo5/SipSorcery.

21. ocman

ocman Well-Known Member

im thinking of going data only now. is therebetter way to dial out without the gv website?