• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Beware the Sprint Car Charger

CriticalCritic

Android Expert
Nov 9, 2009
Cary, NC
It seems like I have to jiggle any charger just right to get my phone to recognize the charger as plugged in. It never used to do it, but I think I may know what caused it.

I was worried when I originally bought the 'Sprint' car charger and tried it for the first time (WAAAY over priced, but I figured better safe than sorry :(). Compared to the included USB and a/c chargers, the Sprint car charger barely fit in the unit, and I mean it took effort to get it plugged in. I thought that was an intended feature, so that the phone didn't accidentally unplug if I picked up the phone while driving (like how the Razor charger used to fall out, if the phone was held sideways)

So it seems that the Sprint brand car charger messed stretched the port inside my phone. Now the USB charger and the a/c and the car charger all have to be plugged in 'just right' to charge.

In fact, last night before going to bed, I plugged my phone into the USB charger. I set it just right, held my breath, and left it on the desk charging. This morning I woke up to find my phone COMPLETELY DEAD with the USB plugged in... So on my way to school I tried to charge my phone via the car charger, I set it 'just right' but then if I hit a bump in the road the charge would stop, and then maybe restart after the next bump. And god forbid I answered a phone call, because that would disable the charging every time.

So right now I have the phone charged at 5% sitting next to me, connected to my computer and intermittently charging via the USB cable. I really DO NOT want to swap out this phone for another Moment because everything else on it works. The GPS is fine, the battery is fine, all of it. And now it's wrecked because I wanted to take the 'safe' route using Sprint's car charger. BIG mistake!

Ugh, I guess I'm going to have to risk swapping out for a phone that may not be in the perfect condition of my current phone:mad: Because, although I love it, it's of little use it it doesn't have any power!

So beware, don't make the same mistake. And if you have any advice, it's more than welcome:eek:

Wow that sucks. Thanks for the warning.

Funny enough there's a thread in "Tips & Tricks" where people are warning us to only buy the expensive chargers...

Here's what I do - I have a bunch of mini USB chargers lying around, so I bought a bunch of mini USB to micro USB adapters through eBay, and use those to charge the Samsung Moment and other devices.

They fit perfectly, and charge perfectly.

Upvote 0
I actually have this problem with my HTC Touch (which I'm replacing with a Moment soon)... I probably shouldn't admit this but to get my cables and chargers to work I usually end up pinching the tips of the cables in a bit with pliers. Probably not the best solution, but it's worked for me. In this case I think it was a design flaw with the Touch's port since this is my second one and I had the same problem with the first.

Upvote 0
I also second the sprint charger stinks for the moment or the pre-

I had it left over from the pre and i dont like it -now it didnt mess up my port but its not great

The pre USB cable is much better than the samsung one, so I would like to pick this up and I think i would be very happy with it:

palm-pre-car-charger.jpg

Upvote 0
I think my port is shot! OEM Samsung charger only works if i wrap the cord around the phone tight forcing the plug at an angle. USB cable same thing, and car charger, i set it just right and hit a little bump and it stop charging! SO MAD! Anyone have any luck replacing the port? or can it even be done? thanks

Upvote 0
I went into our local Sprint store 2 week ago becuase I was having the same problem as CriticalCritic. The employee told me they have alot of issues with the Moment and the charging port. I didn't have any insurance but it is still under warranty. I had a new (well probably reconditioned) phone the next day.

Upvote 0
If you have problems with the port, take it in and have them replace it. While there ask them for replacement chargers. Chances are that if your charging port has bent pins or is mis-shapen in anyway it will do it to the phone again if you use the same chargers.

I had this issue with my HTC Mogul. On the second go around Sprint replaced my chargers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones