• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bill from China

hi SiHa, is that right, i use my gps widget to enable it only when i require it, are you saying that it can be enabled all te time and will only switch actually on when required ?

will it eat power just in the enabled state or not ?

i have mine off because i read that it was a power hungry feature.

thanks

Yes, that is correct. You can leave it enabled all the time and it won't actaully come on until it is requested by an app, so as long as you don't leave google maps running (or something else that needs a GPS fix) it'll be fine. You can see when it's actually on by the icon in the status bar. Mine is enabled permanently, and it's made no difference to the battery life from when I had it disabled.

If you use a phone locator (I've got 'GPS my Droid'), then it is essential to leave the GPS enabled because Froyo doesn't allow apps to enable stuff like this, only turn it on if already enabled.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones