• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Blame Google for the slow 2.1 update

So if EVERY Android phone had the 2.1 update when the Nexus One was released, you think it would have sold anything? Hardly. Ask anyone why they want a N1 and they will all say for the 2.1 update. The Snapdragon processor is just a bonus. No one would care about it if it was running 1.6 :rolleyes:

I am not sure they actually sold too many Nexus One phones..

Upvote 0
that will REALLY suck if there's no way to disable that much integration. I mean, I've got like 20 phone numbers/emails in my phone. The last thing I need is to have a couple hundred people from facebook in there, who's numbers I don't even have, when I'm searching for a particular person to call.

if your facebook friends have their numbers in their facebook account (for text replies like most do) that number will be there too

Upvote 0
The real issue gets clouded in the muck. Google is Android. Google therefore releases (or withholds) versions of Android...Not your carrier. Not the French. Not your aunt Fanny...Google.

The only difference btw N1 and your phone is 2.1 and their processor. Period. You got 2.1, you basically have an up-to-date phone minus the fastest processor. This we know. So, by process of elimination we know that Google withheld 2.1 on purpose no doubt to give its own phone a chance to launch (exclusivity). If we all had 2.1, all that the N1 could boast is that processor and a sexy box that reminds you of an HTC Hero...Not enough to wage war on an industry.

HTC is a telephone manufacturer under contract to Google for the N1 and thus they had to have access. If they owned N1, bet that they would have released it in others of their new phones. The N1 was simply their new release from GOOGLE.

Google lives by the Golden Rule. He that hath the gold, rules. They have 2.1 - The rest of the world waits...and waits...and rants...and waits.

Note: This of course doesn't stop your carrier from releasing 1.6, 2.0 or whatever other iteration that is available - but what would be the point when 2.1 exists? I think that what we are seeing is the future. You can't expect Google to be fair to the rest of the telephone world when they have their own phone to sell...they need a differentiator, in this case it is 2.1 - It isn't rocket science, it's just business.

I'm as ticked off as everyone else but I now understand the beast.

Upvote 0
The real issue gets clouded in the muck. Google is Android. Google therefore releases (or withholds) versions of Android...Not your carrier. Not the French. Not your aunt Fanny...Google.

The only difference btw N1 and your phone is 2.1 and their processor. Period. You got 2.1, you basically have an up-to-date phone minus the fastest processor. This we know. So, by process of elimination we know that Google withheld 2.1 on purpose no doubt to give its own phone a chance to launch (exclusivity). If we all had 2.1, all that the N1 could boast is that processor and a sexy box that reminds you of an HTC Hero...Not enough to wage war on an industry.

HTC is a telephone manufacturer under contract to Google for the N1 and thus they had to have access. If they owned N1, bet that they would have released it in others of their new phones. The N1 was simply their new release from GOOGLE.

Google lives by the Golden Rule. He that hath the gold, rules. They have 2.1 - The rest of the world waits...and waits...and rants...and waits.

Note: This of course doesn't stop your carrier from releasing 1.6, 2.0 or whatever other iteration that is available - but what would be the point when 2.1 exists? I think that what we are seeing is the future. You can't expect Google to be fair to the rest of the telephone world when they have their own phone to sell...they need a differentiator, in this case it is 2.1 - It isn't rocket science, it's just business.

I'm as ticked off as everyone else but I now understand the beast.

Ummm yea, pretty much what I said to start the thread ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah I just put 2.1 on my touch pro and the live wallpapers are cool, like duck hunt, but that gets old after a while as the wallpaper. The constant starfield fly through is cool how it changes angles when you flip through the screens. This is still kind of annoying after a while. What I like though is the thought that this will lead to something like much better more interactive widgets.

Upvote 0
Didn't Verizon also buy a 2 month exclusivity window on 2.0 with the Droid?

Besides, I don't understand why people feel let down or that HTC or Sprint or Google are "to blame"; pretty much ever review of the Hero before it's October 11th release clearly stated that the device wouldn't see an OS update until Q1 2010, with some saying as late as April. They aren't behind schedule, they're right on schedule. In fact, now that the source has been released and a fully functional 2.1 rom is probably no more than a week away, I'd say things are actually ahead of schedule.

Upvote 0
Yeah I just put 2.1 on my touch pro and the live wallpapers are cool, like duck hunt, but that gets old after a while as the wallpaper. The constant starfield fly through is cool how it changes angles when you flip through the screens. This is still kind of annoying after a while. What I like though is the thought that this will lead to something like much better more interactive widgets.

2.1 on a WinMo phone?????????:thinking:

Upvote 0
Android 2.0 was released to the development community MONTHS ago. Sine 2.1 is really only a minor tweak on 2.0 there really is no huge benefit to having 2.1. That is why Motorola went ahead and released the Droid with 2.0 and by ALL accounts it was a very successful launch.....there is no good reason Sprint couldn't have been developing a next gen device running 2.0 and released it already. There is even less of a good reason for them to not have provided the Hero with a 2.0 update. They decided to wait for 2.1 and release an update based on that which sort of makes since but I think most Hero owners would have been happier with a 2.0 update much sooner than a 2.1 update MUCH later.

Upvote 0
Android 2.0 was released to the development community MONTHS ago. Sine 2.1 is really only a minor tweak on 2.0 there really is no huge benefit to having 2.1. That is why Motorola went ahead and released the Droid with 2.0 and by ALL accounts it was a very successful launch.....there is no good reason Sprint couldn't have been developing a next gen device running 2.0 and released it already. There is even less of a good reason for them to not have provided the Hero with a 2.0 update. They decided to wait for 2.1 and release an update based on that which sort of makes since but I think most Hero owners would have been happier with a 2.0 update much sooner than a 2.1 update MUCH later.

I agree, but now I am confused. Who should I blame? I need to blame someone, cause it makes me feel better.
Pete

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones