• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth support

Nope, G1 has been out for almost a year and it still does have all the BT features it could ...

Some are precieved security issues that google maybe be working on ( Maybe Not ) ...

Even Rooted BlueX is not completely successful on every machine ... it depends of the OBEX drivers being installed on both devices as well as them being compatible ...

Dont leave home without your Cable or charger !!! Maybe even a spare battery !

It's crap isn't it? Perceived security issues? Bluetooth is hardly a new technology. The hardware is in the device, it can't be that difficult to write the software to utilise it.

I do keep forgetting my USB cable, and yesterday my battery nearly died. Mostly because I was in low reception areas which I've found to really suck the battery.

Upvote 0
It's very frustrating. I have a PDF on my laptop that I want on my phone. I don't have the cable with me, but no problem I'll just use Bluetooth. It's 2009 after all. Only, it won't fecking work, the Hero won't receive the file. I could do this ok on my N95, a phone that must be three years old now?

I'm sure it's down to HTC just rushing the phone to market, and someone within HTC has made the decision to let the phone go to market with all these functions missing. Turd, but I suppose that's market forces.

I wonder if this functionality was available on the G1?
Email it to yourself on the laptop then pick it up on the hero? I know you shouldnt have to but its the way ive had to do it on the odd occasion.

Upvote 0
Hmmm...i am not alone! My hero with latest orange update, will pair with the stereo no problem, and I can dial out perfectly. However, if a call comes in the stereo mutes and shows the number calling, but the audio is not routed via the stereo, so I cannot hear them!

Does anyone have a clue what the status is with the bluetooth API and support, I know about the OBEX not supported, but I would hope that there should be a solution for the Hero soon?

Heres hoping! :(

Upvote 0
Hmmm...i am not alone! My hero with latest orange update, will pair with the stereo no problem, and I can dial out perfectly. However, if a call comes in the stereo mutes and shows the number calling, but the audio is not routed via the stereo, so I cannot hear them!

Does anyone have a clue what the status is with the bluetooth API and support, I know about the OBEX not supported, but I would hope that there should be a solution for the Hero soon?

Heres hoping! :(

My Hero (unlocked) does not have this problem, but remember that you cant pair the hero (or any other phone) to 2 different BT receivers such as for ex. headset and car stereo.

Upvote 0
Not at the same time obviously, but I have my Hero paired to 3 different devices.

Maybe did'nt understand carl-brummy's problem.
Does his car stereo have a microphone?
Because if the Hero is paired to it obviously he would not be able to use another BT Mic or headset when a call comes in.

I have no problems with my car so called "infotainement" rig, but on my wife's car if the phone is paired to the stereo to hear music calls get lost or jumbled.

Upvote 0
I'm terribly disappointed. I have just bought a SAAB 93 convertible with the business package and "infotainement" system / sat nav.

I was always going to use my TT540 go live for navigation but wanted to use the internal BT phone system controlled of the steering wheel.

I picked the car up yesterday from the SAAB retailer. I have no other devises in the car which could interfere (for now) so the dealer continued to try and sink my 3 month old Hero.

Unfortunately after 20 min of trying he gave up.

I have the Orange patch v:2.73.405.5 firmware 1.5 software version 1.0.0.A6288

Can anyone update the thread as to whether HTC / Android have sorted out the BT issues yet please?

Kind regards

Martin

Upvote 0
I'm terribly disappointed. I have just bought a SAAB 93 convertible with the business package and "infotainement" system / sat nav.

I was always going to use my TT540 go live for navigation but wanted to use the internal BT phone system controlled of the steering wheel.

I picked the car up yesterday from the SAAB retailer. I have no other devises in the car which could interfere (for now) so the dealer continued to try and sink my 3 month old Hero.

Unfortunately after 20 min of trying he gave up.

I have the Orange patch v:2.73.405.5 firmware 1.5 software version 1.0.0.A6288

Can anyone update the thread as to whether HTC / Android have sorted out the BT issues yet please?

Kind regards

Martin

I have a 2008 Saab 93 cabrio with infotainement (the top option: satnav/communication/DVD/ sourround HIFI) and my Hero pairs flawlessly with it it even shows the pics of the called persons on the car's screen, plays music from the Hero to the car stereo via BT and automatically pauses music when receiving a or making a call.
unfortunately does not support BT voice dialing, and that's why in the car I use mostly my other phone , an HTC HD2, even though it does not support all the other functions(less important to me).

I am sure it's just a matter of what "telefon app" (or calling app) you use because I remember it did,nt work with the standard Android (or HTC) app (even though I seem to remember that I could pair it anyway) now I use the favorites of the "phonebook" app I downloaded from the market (I think) and it's surprisingly good.
Try to check also XDA dev, because the issue has been discussed there too and some patches are available for download , the Saab should'nt need one though...

Upvote 0
Thanks Plexus for the reply.

I spend 25 minutes trying to connect via BT yesterday. For no respectable reason, after 25 min, BT showed UHP on my phone (nothing to suggest anything had connected on the SAAB screen).

After a few minutes I could see HTC Hero on the dashboard.

I used the HTC to call home. I could see "Dialing" on the screen of the HTC and (if I remember correctly) dialing or connecting, on the SAAB screen, but the home phone didn't ring. the HTC hang up after a min or so.

Phoning from the home phone to the HTC resulted in a connected call all via the steering wheel controls.

I dont have access to any address book (going to take your advise and install "phonebook" after this reply).

I haven't tried any other functions yet (not sure if i'd know how) but ill try later today to see if music plays through the system.

I'm away for a day or so, so apologies if someone replies and I do not respond

Regards

Martin

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones