• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Boost Moto E 2015 LTE Stock 5.0.2 and 5.1 Soak test ROMs

This is what you do, once you see the dead android, press and hold VOL UP for 3 seconds and then press Power button then the list of options will appear bro, the options are hidden for stock recovery on all Motos as far as I know... Hope that helps for when you try it, lemme know, that works here :)
This is wrong... When dead android is showing, You hold the power button down for 3 seconds and tap volume up. I have made a YouTube video:

Reactions: Odin89 and SuperR
Upvote 0
@SuperR is this debloated/deodexed or is it the flashable full stock ROM?
Currently the only one posted is the full stock rom. I made one that is rooted for experimenting but it has some extra things so I did not post it. Eventually I will get a debloated rom posted at the least, and possibly deodexed. Need to figure out how to do it first lol. Everything changed in Lollipop.

Upvote 0
For now, I have given up on trying to fix the camera without setting selinux to permissive. As a result, I added init.d support to the stock kernel and wrote a script to set selinux to permissive on boot. You can find a flashable zip in the OP.

It's not the greatest solution but I am rooted, have Xposed framework installed, and my camera works all the time so I guess things are ok... for now :)

Reactions: starkraving
Upvote 0
After installing the permissive kernel, the camera was working over 5 or 6 reboots. The strangest thing, as soon as I activated my Moto E, I got an update for the gallery app in the Play Store. After the update, my camera was broken again. Needless to say I am not pleased.

Let me know how the permissive kernel goes. May need to tweak it a bit more or this new problem may be totally unrelated and just a coincidence?

Reactions: starkraving
Upvote 0
One last bit of info for the night...I just opened the SuperSU app, went to settings, checked the boxes for Enable su during boot and Trust system user, and now rebooting the camera works several times in a row. I don't know yet if this is going to break again, if it has anything to do with the permissive kernel (which I am still using currently), or really anything at all. Just logging what I have done so far :)

Upvote 0
Here is a stock rom with some extra features. I do not have time to test it so flash at your own risk. I assume everything will work, but you never know. Here are the features:
  • Rooted
  • Deodexed
  • Debloated
  • Native hotspot fixed
  • init.d support added
  • Write to external media from 3rd party apps enabled
surnia_stock_5.0.2_deodexed.zip

Let me know how it goes. I will test it when I get a chance if nobody else does it first :)

Upvote 0
I am on 5.0.2 and recently received a update notification last night that said it was for 5.1.1, but i needed wifi to download it. I downloaded the update today but was not able to install it because i could not remove root so the update failed to install. I have also been having problems with twrp working for me. I could not locate the ota download .zip so something told me to look in data/data/com.motorola.ccc.ota/app_download/ and found Blur_Version.22.36.8.surnia_boost.Boost.en.US.zip
so i am uploading this file for you. i don't know if this is the correct file, but i am hoping that it is and that you can possibly make a flashable.zip or stock rom out of it https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_DNsulDtL2_TGJiMkhmQWVMVnM/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldeneagle72
Upvote 0
I am on 5.0.2 and recently received a update notification last night that said it was for 5.1.1, but i needed wifi to download it. I downloaded the update today but was not able to install it because i could not remove root so the update failed to install. I have also been having problems with twrp working for me. I could not locate the ota download .zip so something told me to look in data/data/com.motorola.ccc.ota/app_download/ and found Blur_Version.22.36.8.surnia_boost.Boost.en.US.zip
so i am uploading this file for you. i don't know if this is the correct file, but i am hoping that it is and that you can possibly make a flashable.zip or stock rom out of it https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_DNsulDtL2_TGJiMkhmQWVMVnM/view?usp=sharing
All I see when clicking on your link is a screenshot. Is there a zip with the update somewhere?

Upvote 0
This is wrong... When dead android is showing, You hold the power button down for 3 seconds and tap volume up. I have made a YouTube video:
Yeah I realized I had the button combo wrong after I posted it, but instead of discrediting me you should've PMd me to correct it, I hate when people on this board think they know it all when even they make mistakes, no one is perfect, if that was the case this board wouldn't even be here, something to think about

Upvote 0
Here is a treat for you all :)

Soak ROMs [Lollipop 5.1] :
surnia_boost_51_soak.zip - Unmodified soak rom

surnia_boost_51_soak_debloated_2.zip - Debloated, rooted, init.d support, Eleven music player (CM 12.1), write to external sd from 3rd party apps, host file tweaks

Soak Partitions:
surnia_boost_51_partitions.zip

The partitions were updated in the soak test so if you want the full experience you should flash them too. If you update the partitions it will be impossible to get back to exactly where you are now (found this out on the Moto G). I am not saying that is a bad thing, just informing you :)

The ROMs work well without updating the partitions. So far I have not seen any negative side effects.

Other Downloads:
surnia_boost_51_hotspot_fix.zip - Need at least my TWRP 2.8.6.0 v2-5. It will not work with older versions. 2.8.7.0 is also good.

surnia_boost_51_hotspot_unfix.zip - Need at least my TWRP 2.8.6.0 v2-5. It will not work with older versions. 2.8.7.0 is also good.

surnia_boost_51_VVM_fix.zip - I have not tested this flashable but it does what I did to get mine working properly. Let me know how it goes. The only thing still not working is multi-select messages still FC's the app

surnia_boost_51_documentsui_fix.zip - Fixes the FC when you try to open downloads directory. Thanks @K Rize for pointing this out. No need to flash this if you flashed v2 of the debloated ROM.

surnia_boost_stock_51_recovery.zip - Stock 5.1 recovery for Boost Moto E 2015

Thanks to:
@K Rize for uploading the soak update.zip and an anonymous uploader for the updated backup :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not trying to hijack the thread but this has the most activity and I'd imagine @SuperR wouldn't mind this being verified...
So the broken camera issue with root was killing me...first time a no exploit root ever broke anything... Anyway flashed the 5.1 rom, then started flashing all the the SuperSU zips that support 5.X (earliest then moving forward) and finally 2.46 was the winner. Keep in mind that I just booted the recovery through fastboot and flashed the SU zip...camera is fine and has survived 8 reboots. Now if we can get some testers who have the 5.1 rom and TWRP installed on their device to test we can see if it works on that front...if so this is the one for us...if not it may be recovery related as I mentioned after boot I'm back to a stock recovery. So here's the zip. I hope this is the answer.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B46DbOH2IgChR1ZHNnJSVktRWTA/edit?usp=docslist_api
*Edit*
Stock recovery is 31+mb ...wth?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't confirm, Slayer. It fails for me. I did finally get it to flash one time without the partition update but got black screen after boot animations. I maybe waited 10 minutes. I did do some fooling with it.

I'm more concerned that on a clean flash of the recovery partition and .zip factory posted by SuperR the normal soak ota i was prompted in that rom to apply doesn't complete installation. There is something in the modem folder the ota doesn't like. I can get more detailed information but my question is, is the modem flashed when I flash his zip? Suggestions if I wanted to confirm I'm on the right modem or wipe and reflash factory that part?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't confirm, Slayer. It fails for me. I did finally get it to flash one time without the partition update but got black screen after boot animations. I maybe waited 10 minutes. I did do some fooling with it.

I'm more concerned that on a clean flash of the recovery partition and .zip factory posted by SuperR the normal soak ota i was prompted in that rom to apply doesn't complete installation. There is something in the modem folder the ota doesn't like. I can get more detailed information but my question is, is the modem flashed when I flash his zip? Suggestions if I wanted to confirm I'm on the right modem or wipe and reflash factory that part?
The 5.1.1 modem is in the partition updater, not the rom.

Upvote 0
Your Stock 5.0.2 is working beautifully SuperR, I'm so glad you've picked up this device and started deving for it, I always trust your work bro, and the work you do on this Moto E 2nd gen for Boost will be greatly appreciated by me :)

I did find out that WiFi Tether Router does work on this Moto E 2nd gen on lollipop stock but I'm trying to find a way to enable the native hotspot on it, any help with that would be great :)

I got something working for me and posted on xda. I'll post link. Never got feedback but, working for me still.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...led-stock-wifi-hotspot-enable-xt1526-t3110230

Upvote 0
Cool. Sorry if I misspoke. What I was trying to get at with regard to the modem. My thought is that if the factory ota is having issues with something in the modem with stock factory .zip downloaded from here ...
http://androidforums.com/threads/boost-moto-e-2015-lte-stock-5-0-2.920662/ then try another modem from somewhere.
IMG_20150614_120605.jpg

Does that link contain the modem? Any other sources for the modem?

I'm currently using the one from here unless the stock zip overwrites it.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e-2015/help/boost-mobile-cdma-moto-e-2015-stock-t3088410

Because you mention the partition zip for 5.1, I'm having issues flashing it now and not sure what I did the one time I think i got it to flash. I do have the xt1526 gpt.bin for 5.0.2. I was last running that one before I flashed that stock .zip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Long story short. I was on...
5.0.2 Build Number LXI22.50-14.6 24

I needed to be on...
5.0.2 Build Number LXI22.50-14.8 30

To download that, it's below link along with others (Note: The 5.1 located there is not Boost, I could not get data or voice)...
http://motofirmware.center/files/category/51-moto-e-4g-2nd-generation/

It should be - SURNIA_BOOST_5.0.2_LXI22.50-14.8_cid9_subsidy-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip

After this, the original OTA worked and presently I'm on...
5.1 Build Number LPI23.29-18S.1

Dig IT!

But, the voice mail app updated after a wipe and is now constantly trying to send some stupid activation for the dumba** avatars nobody uses. It's the only thing I have seen with issues so far. Voice mails do come in. There was some sprint error that flashed up real quick, I don't know what it was though.

INSERT NO RESPONSIBILITY DISCLAIMER.

Here is the fastboot script so it's a sure thing, NOOB WARNING: you will lose internal SD data and all apps etc.. Backup!
fastboot oem fb_mode_set
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase customize
fastboot oem config carrier vzw
fastboot oem fb_mode_clear

Copy the file download below (thanks to SuperR and K RISE ) to the internal SD, then go into recovery and flash it.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_DNsulDtL2_cC03Mm1CaDRIY2M/edit?usp=docslist_api

I went ahead and did a factory restore while I was in recovery. Reboot, re-config, reload.
Done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones