• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buy via ATT installment vs unlocked

thaKing

Android Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2012
Lex Vegas
I'm looking at getting the S10 Plus. So I know the pros and cons of buying unlocked. However, I don't believe I take advantage of these pros any longer. As I've grown older I do less "tinkering" with my phones. I haven't rooted the last 2 phones I've had, for example. My current phone is an LG V20, which is a couple of years old. So if I go to sell it, I am not getting much money for it. And that's what got me thinking about buying straight from ATT.

Here's how my thought process works:
Scenario - If I buy a phone and want to sell it when I want to upgrade to the next phone.
Unlocked - I buy a phone for $1000, then sell it for $500 (if I'm lucky) and get my next phone. Result, I'm out $500 and have a new phone.
With ATT - I buy a phone for $1000, and after a year I've paid $500 for the phone. I can then trade it in for a new phone. Result, I'm out $500, have a new phone, and don't have to worry about trying to sell my old phone.

When I think in those terms, I no longer see the upside to buying outright, unlocked. Is there a reason I should avoid buying on the installment plan with ATT (I know bloatware, but I don't see that as a *huge* issue) and instead buying unlocked?

If you are tied to a carrier for coverage reasons, not necessarily. For a long time Verizon was the only carrier with decent coverage in my area. I got involved with testing unlocked GSM phones for various ODMs so I went with T-Mobile MVNO Mint Mobile for the extra line. Long story short, I discovered I got as good if not better coverage from T-Mobile. Mint Mobile I pay $240 / year for unlimited everything (8GB / Month LTE, 3G speeds after that), so I'm saving a lot on the carrier fees by having an unlocked phone.

Upvote 0
If understand your comment correctly, your unlocked phone enabled you to get cheaper service with mint. Carrier aside, if I'm looking at the S10 plus, it's right at 1000 everywhere. If I'm not looking to change carriers or have a cheap carrier/plan already, what is the advantage of having unlocked vs buying from the carrier?

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
If understand your comment correctly, your unlocked phone enabled you to get cheaper service with mint. Carrier aside, if I'm looking at the S10 plus, it's right at 1000 everywhere. If I'm not looking to change carriers or have a cheap carrier/plan already, what is the advantage of having unlocked vs buying from the carrier?
You are correct. For me the advantage is savings on service with an unlocked phone. If you are on a carrier plan it sounds like you are paying extra for an unlocked phone.

That said, most carriers will allow you to unlock a phone. Why would you want to do that? Lets say you travel overseas. Instead of paying the excessive overseas roaming fees you could buy a local sim and local prepaid service. I realize this is really picking around the edges. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, often if you are going overseas and ask your carrier they will unlock your carrier branded phone.

Reactions: thaKing
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones