• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying EVO at bestbuy?

Does Best Buy apply any discounts when you buy a phone there? I've been with sprint for a REALLY long time, and everytime I get a new phone (usually every 2 years) I call and order from Telesales. I always ask if there is any extra discounts for being a loyal customer, and I usually get an extra $100 dollars off instantly, and free shipping for the phone. I'm guessing for this to happen, I would have to call and have the discount applied before I go get the phone at Best Buy.

i'm curious if you're really getting any special deals. for example - what smartphone have you bought? when? and how much was your net cost after all discounts?

Upvote 0
Does Best Buy apply any discounts when you buy a phone there? I've been with sprint for a REALLY long time, and everytime I get a new phone (usually every 2 years) I call and order from Telesales. I always ask if there is any extra discounts for being a loyal customer, and I usually get an extra $100 dollars off instantly, and free shipping for the phone. I'm guessing for this to happen, I would have to call and have the discount applied before I go get the phone at Best Buy.

Yes, just call customer care before and they will go ahead and renew your contract and apply the credit. The credit is for renewing the contract, not for upgrading. You can get that even if you keep your same phone. Then when you go into the store it will just renew it again so that your contract will end 2 years from the day you buy the phone.

Upvote 0
Yes, just call customer care before and they will go ahead and renew your contract and apply the credit. The credit is for renewing the contract, not for upgrading. You can get that even if you keep your same phone. Then when you go into the store it will just renew it again so that your contract will end 2 years from the day you buy the phone.

That makes sense, thanks.

i'm curious if you're really getting any special deals. for example - what smartphone have you bought? when? and how much was your net cost after all discounts?

Two years ago or so I got a Moto q9c for $49 after all the discounts they gave me. Before that, I got a Sanyo M1 for the same price as well I think.

Upvote 0
Ya bestbuy will give anyone an all around great experience. They do not force you to get any extra add on. Also the activation fee, if any are through your carrior. Also anyone on an old sprint grandfather plan will have to change into one of the Simply Everything Plans. I say this because my brother had to do this when he got his Hero. He was a sprint customer since 1996. LOL way back in the day.

Reactions: kritzell
Upvote 0
hey sorry if this question has been asked before, i usually buy my phones of wirefly and similar sites or through telesales.

Currently i am with att on a family plan with 4 lines waiting for my contract to finish on may 29. i would like to carryover my current numbers to sprint when evo comes out. If i choose the best buy route will i be able to get everything done there.

I am only choosing 1 evo and rest will be some other phones that sprint has, not sure how it will work when i preorder since i will only be getting a gift card for 50$

one more question are the prices for other phones cheaper or equivalent to site like wirefly etc

Upvote 0
Is there something I'm missing that makes it more attractive to buy at a Best Buy versus online?
I get to walk out of the store with the beautiful thing in my hands... *_*

I guess, but at what premium? I mean if you order online from Sprint or Wirefly you get the phone the NEXT day, right?

I see that Wirefly already has the Incredible listed at $149 versus the best price at Best Buy or Verizon being $199. I would imagine they will probably come in around $50 less on the EVO as well.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious why so many would buy at Best Buy when it will cost more, if there was an advantage other than time, I would probably get it there as well, but the online route is looking awful good at this point. :) To each their own.

Reactions: Quakerwildcat
Upvote 0
Just curious, but doesn't Best Buy have to charge sales tax on the purchase you make?

Is there something I'm missing that makes it more attractive to buy at a Best Buy versus online? :thinking:

Aside from instant gratification vs waiting a few days for Wirefly, BestBuy will skip the Mail in Rebate step and just give you whatever the rebate is instantly. That alone is huge for me, as I DESPISE MIRs.

Reactions: legacy
Upvote 0
Aside from instant gratification vs waiting a few days for Wirefly, BestBuy will skip the Mail in Rebate step and just give you whatever the rebate is instantly. That alone is huge for me, as I DESPISE MIRs.
Never any MIRs at Wirefly, plus you get another $50 from Microsoft (automatic Bing cashback -- not MIR) if you start at Bing.com. So you're going to be at least $100 cheaper than BestBuy.

Reactions: Camslam and legacy
Upvote 0
Is there something I'm missing that makes it more attractive to buy at a Best Buy versus online?

I guess, but at what premium? I mean if you order online from Sprint or Wirefly you get the phone the NEXT day, right?

I see that Wirefly already has the Incredible listed at $149 versus the best price at Best Buy or Verizon being $199. I would imagine they will probably come in around $50 less on the EVO as well.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious why so many would buy at Best Buy when it will cost more, if there was an advantage other than time, I would probably get it there as well, but the online route is looking awful good at this point. :) To each their own.

Most Best Buys will match Wirefly. Yes you have to pay tax still, but you then have 2 instore points of contact for support (Best Buy AND Sprint).

Upvote 0
When looking at all of our vendor choices (Best Buy, Wirefly, Sprint Store, TeleSales), along with the MIR factor, really what you must weigh is Instant Gratification vs Sales Tax vs Shipping costs vs waiting a few days.

I've gotten phones via Wirefly and via Sprint TeleSales before. Sprint Retentions has even overnighted new phones to me for free. But that's never been done at the launch of a new phone, which changes the game.

Personally, I want the instant gratification of getting the phone on release day. And if I can do it by just paying some sales tax but skipping the MIR, then I'll go with that vendor. It's a matter of weighing the pros and cons and whether a few bucks here or there is worth the other trade-offs.

Upvote 0
I may be missing something, but I just checked out Wirefly.com and some of their phones were more expensive than Best Buy.

Hero on Wirefly is $99.99 and $79.99 at BB.

Touch Pro $249.99 at wirefly and $199.99 at BB.

Touch Diamond $199.99 at wirefly and $149.99 at bb.

Now these prices are for new customers, don't include the $50 off from bing and don't include tax at bb. Upgrade customers, like myself, would have to pay even more for some phones (Hero, Touch pro) at wirefly. I didn't see an upgrade price at best buy just new customer price so it may be higher there too.

Given that with the EVO BB may get an early release/some sort of preferential treatment from sprint I'm not sure the price is going to be that much, or any lower going through wirefly.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have a list of which Best Buy's No longer carry sprint and which that do?

I was at my local Best Buy(Bellevue, WA) and just saw Verizon, at&t, and T-mobile.

I sent an email hoping to get some kind of complete list but I am not too hopefull that they will provide me with that kind of info. If they do I will post it here.

Anyone from the seattle area know if there are any others that do carry sprint?

Upvote 0
I may be missing something, but I just checked out Wirefly.com and some of their phones were more expensive than Best Buy.

Hero on Wirefly is $99.99 and $79.99 at BB.

Touch Pro $249.99 at wirefly and $199.99 at BB.

Touch Diamond $199.99 at wirefly and $149.99 at bb.

I noticed the same, I also noticed Walmart has better prices on some phones.

Hero on Walmart $50

Upvote 0
Pays to shop around. Different companies/websites/stores are going to have different deals on the same product all the time.

I guess when June 13th rolls around we'll see who has the best offer. Those that are willing to pay for getting the phone earlier will probably get it earlier.

I'll be interested to see what Wirefly has it listed for, because getting the EVO for $100 bucks is what I'm talking about. :) (Speculative price of $150 similar to Incredible and $50 back from Bing)

Upvote 0
I've heard bad things about wirefly before, but from what everyone's been talking about, perhaps I was misguided?

Also, one thing I heard is if you go through wirefly it might mess with your plan? I have an employee discount on my plan right now and I wouldn't want it to dissapear or have to wait a month or two to re-apply it if this is the case...

Though personally if I could save 25+ bucks by going the online route, I'd rather do that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones