• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Call Quality?

ckar

Feb 16, 2010
San Diego
Ok...I got this phone on the Black Friday $50 deal through Costco/Wireless Advocates. Took delivery last Friday and used it for 4 days before returning it. I am coming from an Incredible, so the learning curve was very short. I do use my phone as a phone quite often, so call quality became an issue, and I'm not certain if I just had a bad unit. The symptom that I had was a high pitched buzz or breakup in the sound through the earpiece when the person I was talking to hit certain frequencies or was just a little loud. Has anyone here had a similar issue, or heard of it being a common issue? I've been toying with the idea of just going with the Nexus WHEN it comes out, but I'm not convinced that it's a better phone! Especially once the Rezound gets ICS. Anyway, I'm thinking of calling Wireless Advocates before the phone makes it back to them and changing the return an exchange. Thanks for any feedback with regard to the earpiece issue...

Ok...I got this phone on the Black Friday $50 deal through Costco/Wireless Advocates. Took delivery last Friday and used it for 4 days before returning it. I am coming from an Incredible, so the learning curve was very short. I do use my phone as a phone quite often, so call quality became an issue, and I'm not certain if I just had a bad unit. The symptom that I had was a high pitched buzz or breakup in the sound through the earpiece when the person I was talking to hit certain frequencies or was just a little loud. Has anyone here had a similar issue, or heard of it being a common issue? I've been toying with the idea of just going with the Nexus WHEN it comes out, but I'm not convinced that it's a better phone! Especially once the Rezound gets ICS. Anyway, I'm thinking of calling Wireless Advocates before the phone makes it back to them and changing the return an exchange. Thanks for any feedback with regard to the earpiece issue...

Interesting .... on balance ..... most of the reviews gave it an average or slightly below phone call quality rating....... but this has not been my experience ......I use the handset without a Bluetooth some of the time......the Beats ear buds some of the time and a Plantronics Bluetooth the rest of the time .... all very very good......in Denver .... ( I am time ) we enjoy an excellent network so that must help...... hard to notice call quality issues when I am mesmorized by that 720 p screen :)

Upvote 0
What I hear on my end sounds great. I'll have to ask the other-side what it sounds like. I think, and it's just pure speculation on my part, but most of what you hear or sound like can be attributed to the network, your location, your reception and the ability of your phone to maintain a signal.

That's why I find most of these reviews are subjective in nature regarding call quality. Of course there are phones that just plain sound like crap, but this is definitely not one of them.

Upvote 0
In my experience, everything I hear on a call has been excellent. Well above average.
I've received numerous complaints from people I've called, though. Saying it is muffled, distorted or tinny, on occasion. It is taking some getting used to, though, with both the mic and noise canceling mic on the side. I think I am covering it up sometimes.

Upvote 0
So far the call quality has been excellent no issues what so ever. I had the incredible 2 prior to the rezound and that was horrible. I tried the bb bold 9930 and by far it had the best call quality and reception of them all. I questioned Verizon on this they told me that the chip set was the same for all devices the difference was the speakers and antenna locations.

Upvote 0
Just a quick input.

I was also concerned because of all the reported call issues but my phone is extraordinary clear on both ends of the conversation. Calling is THE major use I give the phone (about 4+ hours a day) and all my contacts say I sound great even on calls to Europe, Mexico and Singapore.

Everyone I talk to sounds just as they do in real life. My phone is also loud enough I have had to lower the volume.

Reactions: soccermom17540
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones