Calling all previous storm users....Support

Last Updated:

1. bigdaddy0389

bigdaddy0389 Member This Topic's Starter

I have a question for anyone who has converted from a storm to a droid X. If a thread like this has already been started I apologize. I tried searching for the topic, but I'm at work and using my storm and it's not cooperating with my search.

For those of you who have switched from a storm to a droid what are the pros and cons? Do you regret the switch?

I am about to make the switch myself and I was wondering if there are any must have apps for a former BB user. I use quicklaunch and berrybuzz and crunch SMS a lot. Are there similar programs?

Lastly I was a crackberry user and frequented there app store. Is there and equivalent? I found the crackberry store sometimes had apps BB app world didn't have.

Again sorry if this is a previously covered topic I did my best to search but my storm is possessed by unknown forces. Posting this was nothing short of a miracle.

Advertisement
  2. ECFfighter7232

ECFfighter7232 Well-Known Member

I had a BBStorm 1... god am I glad my girlfriend let me use her upgrade to get the X.... I can honestly say the only thing I miss on the storm is ummm.. yeah, one app I had installed (it was a mobile checkbook thing) which they do have versions of on android but I havnt found one as good so far. Other then that there isnt one single thing I miss about the Storm
    Unless you include having to pull the battery every day... that was fun... :rolleyes: (note the sarcasm lol)
    On a more serious note, I do wish android had a better Facebook app, but it looks like they are actually working on theirs so...

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  3. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

I'm making the change from a Storm to an X (should arrive any day). Had the Incredible but returned it b/c the screen was useless outdoors and the battery life sucked. The Incredible's stock Android email app, and k-9 mail, were inferior to BB email. You can't select a range of emails for deletion like on BB, and there weren't quick buttons to select certain functions like on BB. BB just has email down. Maybe that will change with the X app. May switch to Touchdown, which I hear great things about, including text to speech reading of emails.

AFAIK, apps are all in "The Market" app on the phone. No need to go elsewhere.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  4. meezi

meezi Well-Known Member

What I miss is...Highlighting multiple emails and deleting, BBM, long battery life, 1 icon for all messages, speaker volume, assigning buttons, being able to change tracks with the volume rocker while listening to music...I think that's about it.

The X does everything else much better than the Storm/RIM. Appbrain blows away appworld, a real web browser, no more battery pulls, no more mem leaks, life is great. The X is what I wish the Storm could have been with all it's useful BB functions. You won't be disappointed with the switch!

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  5. newell2511

newell2511 Active Member

Have you tried the checkbook app by that's the solution i've found hat one to be most like the bb mobil checkbook app. Some features are actually better like clearing transactions as you post them instead of having to go back in and clear afterwards.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  6. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

Just search for the numerous posts/threads of users who are coming from a Storm 1/2

I for one don't miss my Storm 1 for a second...scratch that, the ONLY things I truly miss about the BB OS is it's fantastic email system and BB messenger.

Other than that, there's nothing that Android doesn't do better than the last few offerings from BB.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  7. ECFfighter7232

ECFfighter7232 Well-Known Member

yeah thats actually the checkbook app im using now on the x. and it does the trick, I just liked the mobile checkbook better (maybe I just have to get used to this one more since I was using the other for so long lol)

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  8. lilcal70

lilcal70 Well-Known Member

i came from a storm 2 and i'm so glad i switched. i've nver looked back. i do miss the email but i could definitely live without. i would never go back to a wackberry ever. the droid x is a east and the best phone on the market i absolutely love my x :) go get it if you can dude you'll won't regret it.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  9. heyjacleu

heyjacleu Member

I came from the Storm 1 and although I do miss some features frmo the Storm I'm perfectly fine and content with the Droid X. I do miss the Blackberry Messenger, the notifications on the icons (and not on a "system tray"), and some minor stuff. What I do not miss though was the browser (which RIM addresses in v 6.0). It was way too slow.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  10. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

had a storm, won't ever look back

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  11. vtroid5

vtroid5 Well-Known Member

checking in....coming from a storm 2. I miss the email, sound profiles, battery life, and blackberry messenger...but the phones are like night and day. The browsing, call quality, SCREEN, and general quickness of the phone is far superior on the X. There really is no comparison, but yes there are a few things I miss.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  12. Riverdome

Riverdome Active Member

I find my X to be MUCH better than my Storm1. I had gotten used to the Storm screen but with the X screen and Swype keyboard I now realize how slow I had been typing on the Storm. The apps and ability to customize the home screens are nice enhancements too.

IMO If you're still using a Storm1 you should take the plunge and pickup a DX. The 30 day trial is plenty of time to decide how much you love your new DX.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  13. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

The only regret is a lack of Flash, so no animated weather radar maps(that I've seen). A BIG let down to me as I do a lot of outdoor activities. Knowing which way the weather is moving(and how fast) is huge to me as I live in 'tornado alley'.
    That should change with the upgrade to Android 2.2(Froyo).

Other than that, no regrets whatsoever.

FYI. I like the Storm and still do. No real regrets with it either. It worked fine for me. Of course app memory was it's big problem.

Cool things you can do with the X:
    -voice recognition(that works) in many apps...phone, text, navigation.
    -Swype for typing. Works great!
    -I now have like 60 apps on my phone( 20 or so new added by me ).
    -I get my Yahoo mail just fine, if you read to the contrary.
    -There IS an LED notification of incoming messages just like BBs).

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  14. bigdaddy0389

bigdaddy0389 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm getting the X just have to wait for them to be in stock. I know the BB email push is the best around but how does X email work. I heard it works with exnkange but is buggy. I also read Froyo is supposed to address that right?

15. nspencerks

nspencerks Member

I have had numerous issues with the excahnge function. Doesn't work worth a darn. They are supposed to fix it in the Froyo update. I went with a 3rd party app called Touchdown and it fixed all of my problems. In fact I may stay with it long term becuase I belive it may be better than the stock app. My favorite part of the Droid X is the full customization you get with the multiple home screens. The use of widgets, shortcuts, live wallpapers, etc. is very fun. No more downloading custom themes all the time. I just build my own right on the phone! I had both the Storm 1 & Storm 2 and am VERY glad I jumed to the X.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  16. boceifus96

boceifus96 Member

The only thing I miss about my storm is BB messenger. the group chat was the best feature and I do miss it but not enough to make even think about going back to a blackberry.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  17. E150GT

E150GT New Member

I love the customization of the Droid. I hate the music player and all of the music players in the market. I have had my Droid x about a month and am still getting used to it. As soon blackberry gets a better web browsing phone on Verizon I think I will go back. I was a happy storm 1 owner.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  18. whsbuss

whsbuss Member

Well I left the X and headed over to AT&T for the Torch. Got all the BB things back I loved and a touch screen..... although the X has a bigger screen.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Former Storm 1 owner here. The Storm and Droid X shouldn't even be mentioned in the same post..lol. The Storm may very well be the worst smartphone I ever owned. The only good thing I can say about my Storm was it showed me all the shortcomings of BBOS and BIS. It was so bad, I refuse to sell it or even give it away, I seriously use it for a paperweight on my desk......

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  20. Grad

Grad Well-Known Member

I miss nothing at all about my Storm. The Droid X is 1000% better.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  21. kg2128

kg2128 Well-Known Member

Went from Storm 1 to Droid x, and I can't think of a single thing I miss about the storm. Hardware, screen, software, the droid x is on a much higher level. Especially the speed, the storm took a long time to render complex webpages even with verizon 3G, not so with the droid x. The storm was also slow for general use again no issues now. Can't forget the much better screen with better touch feedback. And another thing, the droid x doesn't feel that much bigger in the pocket than the storm because the storm was so thick/wide (of course the x is a lot taller).

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  22. NetNut

NetNut New Member

I had the Storm 1.. I never used it with Exchange so I cannot speak to it's email abilities with that platform (though I am the email admin for a company with BB and 3 Exchange servers). My point is I do know how BB's work with Exchange and use a curve daily.. I just never used my Storm with it. I always use my gmail account with my Storm.

With all of that said, I do not miss my Storm for this email connectivity. I feel the email app on the X is heads and tails better than the BB Storm in the method and fashion that I use it.

I do miss the profiles (phone only, vibrate, normal, quiet). I fixed this issue by using "Timeriffic" and it is awesome. I also miss the alarm app that the BB had, though I have also corrected this deficiency with "Alarm Clock Plus" found in the app store.

I have had to do a battery pull twice on my X.. It would not boot once when I ran the battery down to condition in. Another time I was receiving a call and the phone locked up. I had a blue LED and the display was blank.

I also am a little disappointed that I cannot use my bluetooth while the phone is locked. The phone must be unlocked for the BT to function. I have my phone set to auto lock in case I leave it sitting somewhere and the need to keep it unlocked or to unlock it for BT use is kind of a drag..

All in all.. I am SO HAPPY that I have the X.. Excellent Phone!

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  23. buxleyp

buxleyp Well-Known Member

Add me to the list of happy Storm-to-X converts. Other than copy & paste ability from emails & webpages, you can't pay me enough to switch back to the Storm.

Swype is amazing, and I can type a lot faster on Swype than with the Storm's mechanical touch screen.

The X is by far the best phone I've ever used.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  24. Torrid

Torrid Well-Known Member

Count me in--I switched from the Storm to the X...right now, not only would I not go back to the Storm, I would not go back to BB period. So far, the X has been great for work. Even though BB's mail is still great, what about everything else I need to do? Viewing documents, even looking at video, browsing the web, things I need for my job are waaaaaaay better on the X.

Honestly, outside of the email, the Storm was an epic fail on everything else compared to the X. Yes, I got my email faster on the BB, but I dont have to have my email instantaneous, and when I get the email, it is far easier to read on the X.

Honestly, the longer I had the Storm, the more I hated it (and I was excited to get it at first), and everytime I see a BB Storm thread in the forum, I want to jump in and destroy the device all over again.

I dont have time to sit here and list all of the things I really started to hate about the Storm...

bigdaddy0389 likes this.
  25. animal35

animal35 New Member

I had the storm 1...the only things I miss is the battery life, bbm, and speaker.

bigdaddy0389 likes this.