• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camera uninstalled (after upgrade to KitKat 4.4.4)

Hello friends! I need your help with my mother's Moto G (XT1032). I bought this phone for my mother one month ago. The phone is new and is not rooted. The phone had the original Jelly Bean 4.3.

Yesterday, mom asked me to check her phone because it was "misconfigured". Indeed, the date and time were totally wrong; instead of February 27 at 8pm, it said it was March 28 at 4am. Weird. I saw the date/time settings and they seemed fine, so I just changed the settings to use the "net time". Problem solved. However, I noticed something ever weirder: the camera icon had been replaced by the Android icon. I tried to opened it and I got a message saying the application was not installed. I went to the applications, checked all the lists and the camera was, in fact, gone.

Mom said everything was alright in the morning, but sometime at noon, things changed. I checked the movements history in Avast and saw the phone had upgraded to KitKat 4.4.4 at noon, and the same history showed, after the upgrade, wrong times. KitKat installed "succesfully", though.

Then, I tried to download Motorola Camera from Play Store but I got the 101 error, so no use.

Mom told me that "sometime at noon" she was running out of battery so she pluged her phone and turned it off to charge it faster.

So this is my theory: mom turned her phone off while KitKat 4.4.4 was being installed, and even when the installation was "sucessful", it was corrupted. That is why time/date were off and camera got lost (as far as I know there is no way to uninstall a default app unless the phone is rooted).

My question is: will a factory reset solve this issue? Will the camera return if I do the factory reset and then properly install KitKat 4.4.4? Will I be wasting my time? Are there other solutions?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

P.S: As far as I've seen, everything else is working ok. No data lost.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones