• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I get an EVO without a data plan??!

These car analogies are complete bullocks. When I own any car, I can choose to put whatever fuel I damn well want into the gas tank. If I don't want to use premium fuel, that's my choice (even though it may be detrimental to the engine). And not having a data plan is not detrimental to the EVO!

A better analogy would be Ferrari making a customer use the car as a bike stand in between the times they drive it.

Look, I spend most of my time at home, at work, and out school. I have wireless access at all three of these places. I don't need expansive access to the internet because I already have free (or already paid for) internet almost all of the time!

Why do so many people feel that they need this kind of internet access, after already paying data fees for their internet/cable connections at home?

No offense, but you must not be a car enthusiast because your analogy makes no sense.

A phone, such as the Evo, is designed to be capable of having internet access, just like a Ferrari is designed for speed and performance. Sure, that doesn't mean you have to mash the gas pedal each time you take off from a light, but it's understood that one of the main reasons you purchase a Ferrari is for it's performance capability. You may not also be using every unit of horse power that Ferrari has, but part of what you pay for is having the ability to do so in your backpocket. This is all part of the price tag.

The concept of PDA's is the same. Why would you purchase ANY PDA without the intent of using it for what it is? That's why there are non-PDA phones available just like how there are econo cars available. Functions the same way without the extra frills you don't want to pay for.

I don't normally like to get involved in these type of online arguments, but your initial comment really breaks my heart.

When I own any car, I can choose to put whatever fuel I damn well want into the gas tank. If I don't want to use premium fuel, that's my choice (even though it may be detrimental to the engine).

Upvote 0
If you're around "wireless" 95% of the time, and I'm assuming you mean wifi? then why don't you use an ipod touch, and let someone who will use the Evo for what it's meant for, have it.

Because carrying a phone and a PDA is cumbersome. The technology to have both in the same device is right in front of our faces. We are not allowed to utilize this technology because of Sprint's corporate agenda.

Sprint can do this because the people allow it. It's disheartening to me that people seem to be so eager to eat whatever Sprint wants to spoon feed them. Makes me yearn for Europe's GSM network; the competition between providers is more healthy there.

Anyways, if people want to bend over for their capitalist overlords for overpriced tech, I wotn't try to stop them.

I will be voting with my wallet on this one. The EVO is fully capable of being everything I want it to be, but Sprint's greed will not permit that.

Upvote 0
Which is why the Google idea of selling phones directly was compelling, even though they went about it in the wrong way, IMHO.

I think they should allow consumers to buy phones and use them the way they want. Heck, block data to the device. But we know they won't. I bet they'd be more willing to sell it without a voice plan but with a mandatory data package.

Data is the way of the future. This what I think the carriers are beginning to understand.

There might be ways around it in this case, but I am not sure of the ethics surrounding ways to effect it.

Upvote 0
Actually you can buy as many EVOs as you want on ebay for about $500 each. And then you could just use WiFi alone, just use your EVO like an iTouch.
No no no. I want the functionality of a cell phone! This is why a normal PDA or iTouch does not suit my needs. I want all tools consolidated onto one device, so I don't have to carry a phone AND a pda in my pockets.

Data is the way of the future. This what I think the carriers are beginning to understand.
It only seems this way because we are being forced to buy the data! We cannot use this amazing new tech without paying their data fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobdoor
I will be voting with my wallet on this one.

I bet you will!!! (Cheap Bastard..)
And that's a cheap shot. Did I make you feel like you're wasting your money? Sorry. I guess as long as you're paying your mortgage and not foreclosing then you can spend your money however you want.

But the general American public needs to get their priorities straight. Right now we're more homeless and jobless than we have been in the last 25 years, but we'll be damned if we can't have our omnipresent internet access!

Again, the more we bend over and take this kind of treatment, the more happy they will be to dish it out.

PS -
Good luck finding a smartphone that doesn't require a data plan.
Nokia n900, and Google N1 initially come to mind...

Upvote 0
Did I hear talk of cars? A Ferrari? :D

This is like walking into a car dealership and demanding they give you a Ferrari for $25,000. You won't get it. The EVO is made specifically for Sprint and Sprint only. There are other more affordable options that you should probably consider. Same analogy can be made for every other product sold in America. Clothes, food, houses, etc. The EVO is not the only phone with internet access. N1 and N900 are good phones.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones