• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I recover with dead screen?

bosem31

Lurker
Aug 12, 2022
So I have a very old phone at home ( gt i8260 ) that I would like to download some files from.

The phone has a dead screen, just 2 red and green lines, but it powers on, and the computer also detects it, but it wont let me explore the files because I think it has a screenlock but I cant unlock that without the screen :) What is the best possibility do do this?

The important question is whether it's just the display is dead or whether the touch function is dead too? Because if the touchscreen is operating you may be able to unlock it blind, if you can remember exactly where the keys/pattern dots on the lockscreen are.

Otherwise you might be able to do it if it supported USB OTG: I have recovered data from a phone in that state, entering a PIN using a USB keyboard (using cursor keys to select the numbers, practicing with a phone whose screen did work) and then further fiddling to pair a bluetooth mouse (so that I could drive the phone while mirroring the screen to a TV via USB). It took a lot of patience, but it was possible. However the problem here is in the words "if it supported USB OTG", because as far as I can see from some web searches this phone does not. And if it doesn't then you've no way of inputting any instructions to it if the touchscreen is dead.

Of course if the files are on a removable card then it's easy: remove the card and stick it in either another phone or a USB card reader. If you already have the phone set up for ADB and the computer pre-authorised you might be able to do something that way, but few people do. But if you have to unlock the screen to set anything up then you are probably out of luck unless you can get it repaired (without it being factory reset - official service centres tend to do that with all repairs).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones