Can OS upgrades install via wifi?Support

Last Updated:

1. elias4444

elias4444 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking to buy a Samsung Galaxy S (the Vibrant from T-mobile) without a plan and just use it over wifi. I'm incredibly interested in the Froyo update coming "soon," but was wondering if I'll be able to install it via wifi, or if I'll need to activate a plan in order to get it. Anyone know?

Advertisement
  2. mattuhh

mattuhh Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, the update will be coming via Kies (Samsung's PC software), so as long as you have a usb cable, I'd hazard a guess at saying you should be okay without a plan.

3. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

Yes you can update via wifi,in fact manufacturers usually recommend using wifi to avoid mobile internet charges.

4. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

I've been told that when AT&T pushes an update it has to come over data, but there is no charge for it. Seems to be true, I checked my usage both before and after the update and saw no increase in my data usage out of the norm.

5. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Someone on the vibrant forum did say there is OTA update.

6. elias4444

elias4444 Member This Topic's Starter

Well, now that I have a Samsung Vibrant, and an update is out, I can say for sure that OS updates over wifi do NOT happen. I contacted T-mobile and they said I could only get the update if I had a data plan. Also, apparently, the update in Kies is a beta and has issues, so T-mobile has told people not to use it.

Sounds like wifi-only android isn't here yet.