• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can we talk about...

thetundrawolf

Lurker
May 25, 2021
The endless wretched abomination that the Android "Operating system" (It's actually a cleverly disguised data-mining [nice way of saying, stealing everything you do]) is?

It's just stable enough to effectively track every keystroke and eye dilation/position without completely collapsing in on itself. Mine data first- functionality and common sense are a distant... Very distant second...

Endless phone resets with the hours-long process of re-entering ALL of my passwords, re-downloading apps, inevitably forgetting this or that, losing pictures, files, memories, in my hurry to re-obtain a functioning phone that doesn't lag so badly it's marginally unusable, or the phones internal memory filling up faster than a wading pool in a sustained monsoon.

My source? I've owned about 40 various smartphones, all android, never apple, but that is going to change.

The endless, searing incompetency of Google in making a stable platform is staggering to me. Do they hold secret basement meetings where they discuss how they can make things worse? "Oh! Oh!" Shouts Chad. "Let's make popup notifications on the top of the screen so they can't reply, because they app is directly behind the text!"

"Brilliant." Says Karen.

"Oh! Oh!" Says Richard. "Let's make the Dalvik Cache fill up, lagging the phone- and make it inaccessible to users."

"Oh my God Richard, you magnificent bastard, that will make so many people buy new phones. Your ideas are so terrible- I think I'm going to leave my husband for you. God, meet me in the break room in fifteen minutes. I'll be waiting..."

You may defend them by saying they have to create software that has to cater to thousands of hardware changes, but the truth is I have only ever had ONE phone that served me well, years ago- It was an LG G3 (Or G4, not sure, owned them both, one sucked, the other was wonderful). That phone was fast, stable, and when it did give me issues, "Updates" usually fixed them- rather than becoming "Slowdates" that lag the phone and create entirely new problems.

So, I have owned one phone out of forty that provided me with a somewhat decent experience.

So yeah. I'm done with Android and Windows. Windows, the brainchild of a horny control freak, constantly asking you to log into your Microsoft account with endless annoying popups so he can keep track of everything you do (Sound familiar? Android and Windows are two peas in a pod. They both need to be broken up like Ma Bell, because they are the very definition of the word monopoly)

Yes, yes, I know Apple also mines your data. But, there is a sense of community there- yes, also snobbiness, but I will take snobbiness over incompetency- at least their shit works.

I'll sell everything I own to dive head-first into the Apple marketplace, just to escape the endless frustration and sorrow that is Android and Windows. Until that day I must wade through the Abomination of Desolation (Yes, even the Bible speaks of Android and Windows, not even God can ignore how bad it is. God speaks to Lucifer, but throws up in his mouth a little when he thinks about Android)

You may have had nothing but smooth sailing and good luck with Android, and if so, good for you. It has NOT been my experience. I can't be alone in that.

Anyway that's my little rant on the trash O/S. You have to remember something. It isn't an operating system. It's a data mining program designed to distract you from the fact that it's literally tracking everything you say, see, do and look at for the purposes of selling that to make money. That's not the worst part, the worst part is that we literally have no choice, no alternative. There is no Linux for phones. Best we can hope for is a root- and manufacturers are making that more and more impossible.

Until a balance is found I am going to do everything I can to invest fully in Apple. As I said. At least their shit works.

Have a wonderful day =)

Interesting, I've never experienced any of the issues you've had on my Android devices. I personally find iOS to be a lot less usable than android, but to each their own.

But don't fool yourself into thinking that iPhone won't mine your data as well. As well as your Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram or any other social media platforms you use.

Upvote 0
@thetundrawolf i also never had any issues. but i'm not concerned about data mining or privacy as much as you are.

and just an fyi there are linux phones that you can get. XDA just made a linux phone a few months back.....so they are out there if you are looking for them

original article:
https://www.xda-developers.com/pro1-x/

you can get it here:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...y-choice-control?secret_perk_token=2c0a82a4#/

also you might want to look into GrapheneOS

from their website:
GrapheneOS is a privacy and security focused mobile OS with Android app compatibility developed as a non-profit open source project. It's focused on the research and development of privacy and security technology including substantial improvements to sandboxing, exploit mitigations and the permission model.
GrapheneOS improves the privacy and security of the OS from the bottom up. It deploys technologies to mitigate whole classes of vulnerabilities and make exploiting the most common sources of vulnerabilities substantially more difficult. It improves the security of both the OS and the apps running on it. The app sandbox and other security boundaries are fortified. GrapheneOS tries to avoid impacting the user experience with the privacy and security features. Ideally, the features can be designed so that they're always enabled with no impact on the user experience and no additional complexity like configuration options. It's not always feasible, and GrapheneOS does add various toggles for features like the Network permission, Sensors permission, restrictions when the device is locked (USB peripherals, camera, quick tiles), etc. along with more complex user-facing privacy and security features with their own UX.

Upvote 0
There's probably an apple store near you, with several competitively priced telephones for you, although iphones are a rental device and not something you actually own.

Being an IT person for a few decades, I'm often asked about tech stuff that's not exactly in my wheelhouse, but I try my best to answer, with the understanding that "IT" is a very generic term .. my father was a railroad worker, a car inspector. He didn't know how to drive a train, but could talk far more intelligently about it than the boxboy at Safeway. But I digress .. Anyway, I have found that in almost every case of people complaining about their Android phones giving them headaches, it's the end user that's the problem, not the phone. As we say in the computer world, they're clicking on the clicky thing without first thinking with the thinky thing. Android makes it very easy to customize your phone to your hearts content, you can install all sorts of garbage in addition to the garbage that your carrier sent you home with. You can move stuff around your file system, you can delete stuff that you shouldn't delete, there's way more ways to eff up your phone that with an iphone. There are also way more ways you can kill yourself in a Lamborghini than in a Kia Rio, but if you're careful, it's a way cooler ride.

Upvote 0
I also haven't had any of these issues on any recent phone. Android might have been a bit clunky the first couple years on some phones a decade ago, but improved quickly.

Granted, a small percent of phones will have bugs/errors regardless of which operating system is has. Apple forums are filled with people asking about issues, just like Android and Windows forums are.

Must admit, I'm curious how you've owned an average of more then 3 new phones per year?

Upvote 0
Just to divert the topic into a semi-related direction, reading through this latest rant I'm not sure if it's actually substantive or just trolling. There are real, practical arguments being stated, but at the same time the tone borders on being just more carefully crafted trolling that's now too common in any online help forum.
https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-internet-trolling-3485891

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The endless wretched abomination that the Android "Operating system" (It's actually a cleverly disguised data-mining [nice way of saying, stealing everything you do]) is?

It's just stable enough to effectively track every keystroke and eye dilation/position without completely collapsing in on itself. Mine data first- functionality and common sense are a distant... Very distant second...

Please don't feed the trolll.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Ok, so I don't agree with the OP on everything said.

That does not mean that I do not find the post well written, and actually funny- even hilarious- in a George Carlin sort of way.

I might even agree with a lot more of what was said if I was still trapped with my first Android device.

I had all the same issues as OP, at least when I first started and had no clue as to how to fix them.

Even now, I still have the issue of some caches filling up with useless junk and dropping anchor on the performance of the app and the device.

Sure, tell me about how I need a device with more memory, and then I won't have that issue.
The point remains that the caches of many apps will fill up with 1GB (or more) of crap that will never make the apps or device work better or faster. More memory on the device is not a viable solution. When I make more room, the caches grow even larger.

The simple solution is to contact the developer(s), and see if anything can be done. If not, then ditch such apps- because the programming is bad, and there are sure to be apps out there that perform the same function but do not store hoards of junk for no reason.

As for the data mining, this is also a reality.
Once again, the solution is to find and then use privacy oriented apps that do not do such things.

Stay (far) away from Google Play Store. Often, even apps available elsewhere have Google trackers on the version available there.

Use FOSS apps as much as possible.

Use a VPN (Proton VPN).

Use a firewall (NetGuard), to control what apps even have access to the internet.

There are even apps that allow the user to control exactly what internet connections can be made with each app (Tracker Control).

If I can have and use these on the cheap, low powered devices that I use, I can't think of a reason for others to not be able to as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones