• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can You Set Different Notification Ringtones For Individual Contacts?

Please tell me how to do this
If your android version is 2.2,select contact name,select menu key,select options ,look up at top,,see ringtone,default,touch it,now select ringtone ...I found this info away back in a thread ...if you are going to use mp3 sounds ,first you must add to ringtone list....good luck,Goosho---
btw..here is the info I found

absd

Device(s):
The way it works on my Android 2.2 (FRF91) Nexus-1
1. Go to Contacts
2. Select a contact
3. Click the Menu button
4. Click Options (there's your X factor right there!)
5. Go ahead and select a custom ringtone.

Voila

Upvote 0
I did manage to get a separate email notification sound to my sms (i.e. I could tell if it was an email or sms)

Stupid thing is, I must have fluked it (i wasn't using any app from the market) and my phone went screwey one day (couldn't open an sms but was repeatedly notified about it) and couldn't do it again.

I will try this ringo tho.

why o why did the devs not include this sort of functionality.

I will put my shovel down now, no more digging up old threads :)

Upvote 0
I tried what Goosho suggested:

1. Go to Contacts
2. Select a contact
3. Click the Menu button
4. Click Options (there's your X factor right there!)
5. Go ahead and select a custom ringtone.

Everything worked fine, except that when I selected a ringtone (other than "Standard") it played OK, but was never assigned to the contact. Neither my custom ringtone, nor any other ringtone was able to replace Standard.

The funny thing is, I did do this succesfully with another contact a couple of days ago. Whatever I did then I don't remember, but it was a strictly "follow your nose" approach, which had to have been pretty much what Goosho suggested.

This may be an old thread, but it's a current problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones