• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cancel my order for the Incredible and wait for Moto X instead?

Admittedly, it kind of baffles me that Verizon would release the Moto X so soon. While I don't completely buy into that whole "fragmentation on Android" argument that most iPhone fanboys use, I think this does create even more confusion to new buyers. I can understand if they just released the Moto with physical keyboard as it brings something significantly different to the Incredible, the X is just too similar and I think may step on some toes. Just my opinion.

If I were the OP, I'd prob wait to see what people say about the Moto X when it comes out before making a final decision. Also, I think it really comes down to what you prefer in size. Initially, I thought I would have preferred something to the EVO.. but after having my Incredible for some time... I handled my friend's EVO and it was just too massive for me (and I'm 6'2 190lbs). I like having the smaller/sleeker device.

As far as UI, I don't think it makes too big of a difference unless you really love Sense. Seems like most people are going the way of LauncherPro anyways. I personally haven't tried it yet, but will probably spend some time on it on the coming days.

Upvote 0
The bottom line I believe is that more choice is always a good thing. If one has 50 different smartphones to choose from, there's a much higher chance that they will find one that is perfect for them as opposed to having much fewer choices. As they compete with each other, manufacturers will get more and more ambitious with their designs to try and outdo each other. This leads to better devices coming out at a faster pace.

More options will probably mean even faster Android adoption. More Android users means more and more developers will make more and better apps and games for the Android Market. It's a great thing.

Upvote 0
I can agree to that.. but sometimes too many choices, especially in something like cell phones.. equates to the potential of less support of specific devices, especially in the form of accessories. I'm moreso concerned with that and its really the only thing that makes me jealous of iPhones - that they have such a strong accessory/aftermarket market.

Upvote 0

I lol'd when I saw that the moto x is even bigger than the EVO. Seriously? hahahahahaha. Oh well, it's still a cool phone.

I bet the Inc won't be seriously outdone on Verizon until 2011. And even then it will still be a fast phone that does everything you want. Don't expect any crazy new features. When you buy a laptop do you sweat that maybe a nicer one will come out in a few months? Probably not. The Inc is a touch screen laptop for your pocket.

Seriously to OP: The moto x looks nice. It's pretty big.... I dunno, man. I'm pretty into my inc right now. I played with a friends iPad the other day and, to my surprise, thought "what's the point of this giant thing?". Also, I'm starting to feel like resolution is more important than screen size. I don't reeeeally see the point of a larger screen if it has basically equal resolution....

Oh man, I just imagined a 4.3" screen with 300+ppi. Oh man I don't think I would be able to resist such technology.

Upvote 0
Cancel your order and wait for the new droid. Then when the incredible X2 is announced as coming out in October cancel that droid order. Then in October the Droid 9000 will be announced as coming out in January...

Im not sure if that sarcasm is really warranted. Of course, technology is always going to be outdated, but I think this situation is a bit unusual because those of us who ordered the incredible have had to wait close to a month to finally get the phone. Even though the incredible will not rule forever, it is still disconcerting to find out that a superior phone might be available before we even get ours.

Upvote 0
Its nice to see so many opinions on here, but i think im gonna stick with my original conclusion: For me a smaller sleek phone that can sufficiently call, text, web surf, and play a good tower defense when im commuting is all i need. The droid x looks sweet, but theres just not enough of a gap between the 2 devices for me to back away from the Inc.
Even though im not OP i thank all of you who responded, you all helped me come to a more solid conclusion :p

Upvote 0
I would, I have the Dinc but the X is just as good or better than the EVO, the only thing EVO will have on it will be Wimax and from some leaks it won't have a front facing camera which I'm surprised since the owner of MOTO said that all MOTO phones will have a front facing camera.

There's been rumors that they pushed this phone to July because they're putting Froyo on it, here some of the confirmed specs.

No front facing camera
Magnet sensors trigger dock and car mount modes
Quadrant System info reads..
CPU (if i keep refreshing the current cpu freq modulates)
Name: ARMV7 Processor Rev 2 (V7i)
Current Req: 1000mhz
Max req: 1000MHZ
Min FReq: 300 MHZ
Cores – 1
Architecture:7
BogoMIPS: 598.90
Hardware: Mapphone_CDMA
Revision:2
OPENGL
Vendor: IMAGINATION TECHNLOGIES
Renderer: PowerVR SGX 530
Version: OpenGL ES-CM 1.1
1500mAh battery
No Sim Slot
Power button and Home button wake the screen when locked

Also check this article.
Comparison: Motorola Droid X vs. HTC EVO 4G vs. iPhone vs. Eris | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Upvote 0
My advice would be the same for any piece of technology with a quick development cycle - wait until you need the phone, and then order the best phone for you.

The definitions of 'need' and 'best' vary from person to person, and while you don't want to drop a lot of money on hardware that will be superseded within weeks, you also can't keep waiting around for the next best thing.

-HD

Upvote 0
I actually wish the hardware makers would stop trying to make the Android super phone every 6mo. In terms of processor power/display the dinc is great and in no need for any improvement except in methods of battery conservation. I mean at this point and especially after Froyo is deployed the glaring technological weakness of androids and allsmartphones is poor battery life. This where most short and medium term development should focus to really push a handset maker and Android itself well ahead of the competition.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones