• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cancel my order for the Incredible and wait for Moto X instead?

just read the engadget preview with the phone... first i was a little excited but if it is a 4.4 in screen and that thing has a tone of bezel all around it i think it might be too big. the evo physically is as big as i can personally take but it is almost all screen. looking at the video and pictures of the X it reminds me of the dell streak. the pictures of it in people's hand looks like it is too large to use without using both hands. one thing i like about the incredible and my large hands can deal with the evo is i can easily use the phone with one hand, i can't see getting my thumb across that screen.... still it is a nice option for someone looking for a large device.. the more android the better. btw to anyone who hasn't used a phone with motoblur,, it is terrible hopefully they fixed it up some otherwise the first thing people should do is install a new launcher on the X..... did anyone notice though it has swype pre-installed, that is a killer feature.

Upvote 0
Motoblur doesn't seem very intrusive in any of the screenshots engadget posted from their hands on. And it looked like they're removable widgets. And you can download the more used sense type widgets on the market. I don't think Motoblur is going to keep this device down, even if they don't give the option to turn it off.

Upvote 0
Motoblur isnt so bad. They're just widgets. I have it on a dev phone (Backflip). You can completely turn off moto-blur. It feels pretty much stock.

I prefer it over Sense. The phone (Home Screen/OS) actually works in Landscape mode UNLIKE the incredible.
That was a comment about upgrading OS vs. stock. HTC has to deal with Sense and Moto has to deal with Blur.

Upvote 0
Motoblur isnt so bad. They're just widgets. I have it on a dev phone (Backflip). You can completely turn off moto-blur. It feels pretty much stock.

I prefer it over Sense. The phone (Home Screen/OS) actually works in Landscape mode UNLIKE the incredible.

Not accurate!
It is SenseUI that does not work in landscape mode. 2.1 works perfectly fine in landscape mode provided that whatever "home" you are running supports it.
Incredible or not has nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0
Im in the same boat as the OP. I ordered and my Dinc should ship on the 23 but Im thinking that since I have waited this long then whats another month. I do a lot of email and media on my phones and the bigger screen would be nice but the Moto X is boardering on too big to be a phone. Its not the hand size factor but it is the pocketability of the phone. I always put my phone in my cargo pocket and have never had any issues but this mother may push the limits a lil bit. With all of that said....I will be canceling my order and waiting on the X. Not because its the next best thing but because its a Moto. I happen to really like Moto products. I have never had an issue with the quality of Moto. I may regret it and if I do.......then back on the waiting list for the Dinc.

Upvote 0
Im in the same boat as the OP. I ordered and my Dinc should ship on the 23 but Im thinking that since I have waited this long then whats another month. I do a lot of email and media on my phones and the bigger screen would be nice but the Moto X is boardering on too big to be a phone. Its not the hand size factor but it is the pocketability of the phone. I always put my phone in my cargo pocket and have never had any issues but this mother may push the limits a lil bit. With all of that said....I will be canceling my order and waiting on the X. Not because its the next best thing but because its a Moto. I happen to really like Moto products. I have never had an issue with the quality of Moto. I may regret it and if I do.......then back on the waiting list for the Dinc.

Be prepared for them to not let you cancel. There are reports all over the place of them not letting people cancel and telling them they need to wait till it arrives and then refuse shipment!

Sounds insane I know, but this is what people are experiencing.

Upvote 0
i think the processor speed is irrelevant.

Point is that besides the screen type, screen and phone size, and the custom interface, the differences between the phones will be so minimal that it won't matter and any debate over it is just bogus.

perhaps bogus and irrelevant to you. Your opinion is fine for yourself. To me, on the other hand its easy to see that the droid x is the better phone.

Upvote 0
Oh well DInc hope you enjoyed your time at the top, it was fun while it lasted, however short...

Clearly what's "best" to one person isn't for someone else so proclaiming one over the other is silly.

Seems pretty clear the Droid X is the superior phone technically. Seems that the size issue and the UI are the two key factors. Performance is probably better with the X also but honestly it's like the 3.2ghz vs. 3.6ghz discussion with processors - think you'll ever really see that difference in the real world? Not likely.

The prudent thing to do is cancel the order if you can and get your hands on one of the Droid X's when they come out, then decide which is best for you.

I love my DInc more every day I use it and the Droid X seems like a BEAST sizewise from the pics and vids, but I've not seen one in real life either. So who knows.

Good luck to you!

-kj-

Upvote 0
Not accurate!
It is SenseUI that does not work in landscape mode. 2.1 works perfectly fine in landscape mode provided that whatever "home" you are running supports it.
Incredible or not has nothing to do with it.

illogical. Incredible runs Sense by default. You can't disable it. So, Incredible as it stands today cannot run "Home" in landscape mode. So it is the Incredible's fault.

Upvote 0
i personally think the incredible is the BEST out of all the current/upcoming phones. it's got the speed and is the perfect size. i find it amusing how people are so excited to be carrying around a NEO-ZACH-MORRIS-PHONE with them all day because they want to look more manly (i've seen this in actual posts i've read hehe)... but that's the good thing about android, we get a CHOICE of the hardware we want to use and aren't limited to one phone (ie Apple). if you REALLY want the bigger screen, and don't mind having to carry it around with you, then i'd say go for the moto x. if you only want to get it because of the new cpu in it, keep in mind that once 2.1 owners get updated to FroYo, the new virtual machine gives us 450% performance increase anyway, and as it stands now, my 2.1 SENSED incredible is still as zippy as when i first got it, yo. lte is coming soon too, so i'm sure we'll all find a way to sell our phone or do an early upgrade as soon as the first lte android phones are released and then we'll repeat this whole process over again :}

Upvote 0
illogical. Incredible runs Sense by default. You can't disable it. So, Incredible as it stands today cannot run "Home" in landscape mode. So it is the Incredible's fault.

This makes no sense (no pun intended)!!

Yes the Incredible runs Sense by default and you cannot remove it but you also do not need to use it!

There are plenty of Home Replacements that work in Landscape. Again, it is not a limitation of the hardware, but the stuff running on the hardware.

I have not used Sense since the day I got this phone. So no, it is not the Incredible's fault!

The phone has absolutely zero to do with it!

Upvote 0
The phone is the sum of all its parts; including software. So it is the "phone's fault"

Most users will use whatever is the default.

By default, you can't run it in landscape. Sure you can install 3rd party apps but you are not the norm. 90% of the people will run stock Sense.

Answer these questions, and answer them honestly:

Does the screen on the Incredible rotate when you turn the phone?
Can you run a Home Replacement?

We can argue semantics till the end of time but the reality is that the Incredible is 100% capable of running a home screen in Landscape mode!

Upvote 0
Answer these questions, and answer them honestly:

Does the screen on the Incredible rotate when you turn the phone?
Can you run a Home Replacement?

We can argue semantics till the end of time but the reality is that the Incredible is 100% capable of running a home screen in Landscape mode!

Sure, I can concede if you phrase it that way. But my point is it doesn't run by default.

Upvote 0
Isn't the point of an android phone and the market to download 3rd party apps and not leave it default?

That's the biggest point I make with this phone. If the software doesn't allow you to do something the android os allows you to install an app that does. Can you download a messenger app for the dare to change the background? No. THAT'S the phones fault

Upvote 0
after seeing this photo the droid x doesn't look that big
motoroladroidx34.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones