• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot Add Custom Ringtones to Razr

CraneWing

Lurker
Nov 18, 2012
I am a total newbie to Android, having been a Mac user for six years and an iPhone for four. I got so frustrated with iTunes and iPhone, that now I'm in the Android camp, having gotten this Droid Razr HD. So with my dilemmas, please bear with me.

The problem is, I have Googled and tried to add custom ringtones to my phone. It is running Ice Cream Sandwich. I have this Droid File Transfer application that I put on my computer, which allows me to see the Razr's internal storage AND the 32GB micro SD card.

Various tutorials indicated that I should create either a ringtones or media/audio/ringtones directory on my SD card, then add some previous custom ringtones I had used in the past. The tutorials also suggested that the ringtones be mp3 and not m4r.

So I tried both directories as previously listed (ringtones and media/audio/ringtones). I tried both mp3 and m4r, and not matter what I try, the ringtones will not show up under Settings > Sound > Phone ringtone, just the stock Android tones.

My questions:

1. Under ICS, what is the correct folder format on SD card: ringtones or media/audio/ringtones?

2. What is the correct file extension for custom ringtones on Android?

3. How do I get them to show up under phone ringtone under Settings > Sound?

4. What setting should I use when I connect my phone to my computer with the USB cable?

5. And finally, why don't I see anywhere a way to eject my phone when done?

If it is also relevant, I have MacBook Pro running 10.7.5 Lion.

You should be able to drop any compatible audio files (.mp3, .ogg, etc.) into the /ringtones folder.

I'll play around with mine a little more to recreate your situation, as I am not typically adding ringtones the way you are trying to do it. Your method is probably the most common and straightforward, though (I have my phone connected via WiFi to my LAN so do it all from the phone rather than the computer).

EDIT: Yes, using the Motorola software which spoofs a drive under My Computer (from what I understand it spoofs the volume to prevent block-level editing of your internal storage) I was able to simply drag and drop an .mp3 file from my computer to the phone, immediately go to Settings > Sound > Phone Ringtone and see the file. I'm a bit impressed, as I didn't even have to change USB mode, unplug the phone, do any storage mounting or anything: it "just worked."

If you continue to have trouble, I'll post screenshots of both what I'm doing on my computer and what I'm doing on my phone. I am using Windows, however. Also, the /media/audio/ringtones I think was an older ringtone storage practice (I think my Droid X used it), but the RAZR MAXX HD just goes straight to /ringtones. (Notifications go in /notifications.) I'm actually quite pleased with the native storage practices of the phone :)

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones