• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot set APN

Running a Dell Streak that I received from Rogers a few days ago. I have done the Rogers 2.2.1 update. I just noticed that the 3G is not working. I can't surf unless I connect to Wifi. No 3G icon in the status bar, etc.

I go into "Settings-> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names" and I see the two Rogers APNs. Neither have a blue dot next to them. If I press either one, I'm taken to the settings for that APN. I press Menu and Save. Still no blue dot.

I've contacted Rogers and they are going to send me a new phone, but this really looks like a software issue. Any ideas what might be happening? I can't really say if 3G ever worked, since the first thing I did was set up WiFi.

Is it possible to reinstall the firmware on the phone? Does a reset to factory settings REALLY erase everything and put the phone back to "as new"?

Any ideas what I can do at this point?

Running a Dell Streak that I received from Rogers a few days ago. I have done the Rogers 2.2.1 update. I just noticed that the 3G is not working. I can't surf unless I connect to Wifi. No 3G icon in the status bar, etc.

I go into "Settings-> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names" and I see the two Rogers APNs. Neither have a blue dot next to them. If I press either one, I'm taken to the settings for that APN. I press Menu and Save. Still no blue dot.

I've contacted Rogers and they are going to send me a new phone, but this really looks like a software issue. Any ideas what might be happening? I can't really say if 3G ever worked, since the first thing I did was set up WiFi.

Is it possible to reinstall the firmware on the phone? Does a reset to factory settings REALLY erase everything and put the phone back to "as new"?

Any ideas what I can do at this point?

I can't help with most of your questions, except the reset. I have done that once before returning my first Streak. It does reset everything except it doesn't erase your data card. So all my music and data was still available. If you have your contacts synced with Google, etc. It isn't that painful. Almost all of my apps automatically re-installed, the only real pain was entering ID and passwords again, entering some settings, etc. That only took about 30 minutes, biggest pain for me was setting up my home screens again, as I don't use any of the default stuff.

BTW, if you return your existing device, you should do a reset before returning it so all your personal information is erased.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones